Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

Help on managing DooM files.

Recently I've noticed that my Doom folder is quite a cluster fuck. At any given time I have about two or three copies of the IWADS in the main and sub folders. I also have a few copies of most of my PWADS I've made and/or downloaded in these folders in the same way. It's not so much a convience issues, as despite the excessivly messy appearance of the folder I know where everything is and can move around easily, but it's a space issue.

What options do I have/where would I find information on this?

Is it possible to put the source ports in their own separate file, and have the IWADS and PWADS in another folder, and run them that way? If so, what would I have to do, or where would I find documentation on how to do something similar?

Thanks in advance!

That's what I do. In ZDoom, you can add something to the ini that will make it search different directories for required WAD's.

My Doom Directory structure, for the curious:

\Downloaded Program Files\Doom (Doom IWAD's)
\Downloaded Program Files\DoomData (Doom PWAD's. My various projects are also in this direcotry, but under their own subdirectory)
\Downloaded Program Files\ZDoom (ZDoom)
\Downloaded Program Files\ZDaemon (ZDaemon)
\Downloaded Program Files\ZDaemonCTF (ZDaemon CTF Beta)

I have a d:\doom, which has the (original) EXEs plus some DeHackEd modifications and the two main IWADs, and several subdirs under it (demo, edit, hack, iwad, pwad, text, util.) Each of those subfolders has its own subdirs if necessary, like, for instance, any source hacks are under utils (e.g., d:\doom\utils\boom\) and everything works fine. You just have to use the IWAD finding features of the apps or engines, such as parameters, launchers or environment settings to find the core files, wads in other dirs, etc. It all depends on exacly what you have installed and use.

myk said:

I have a d:\doom, which has the (original) EXEs plus some DeHackEd modifications and the two main IWADs, and several subdirs under it (demo, edit, hack, iwad, pwad, text, util.) Each of those subfolders has its own subdirs if necessary, like, for instance, any source hacks are under utils (e.g., d:\doom\utils\boom\) and everything works fine. You just have to use the IWAD finding features of the apps or engines, such as parameters, launchers or environment settings to find the core files, wads in other dirs, etc. It all depends on exacly what you have installed and use.

I'd prefer you call them 'source ports' instead of 'hacks'. The programmers deserve a little more respect, even from you, don't you think?

Since not all exes support loading of remotely located IWADs, one possibility I've thought of is to write a batch file that you can call like "doom.bat -boom -doom2" that would load the right executable and, depending on the port, either just use -iwad, or move files around (allowing you to keep stuff neatly sorted into subdirectories).

i have a dir called C:\spil\doomsday (spil = games in danish) where all my wads are, and my source ports in the appropriate dirs:

edge: c:\spil\doomsday\bm3\ (an edge mod i'm working on)
jdoom: c:\spil\doomsday\jdoom\
any port: c:\spil\doomsday\anyport
etc. etc.

my shortcut to edge says something like "gledge32.exe -iwad ..\doom2.wad -ddf ddf -height 2342234 -width 234234 etc. etc.

It's nothing too hard to keep track of. I have my Doom folder (c:\games), and inside of it is my Doom2, Heretic and Hexen folder. I don't have any subdirs for ports or wads or whatever, they're all right there in their appropriate directory.

I have quite a bit of stuff, as I imagine most of us do.
I have a core directory for each of my games -- this is an archive of zip files and textfiles neatly stored in subdirectories.
then I have a 'temporary' directory for each of my primary games with nothing permanent... just copies of hr2.wad, miscellaneous doom and doom2 installs, hell2pay, zdooms, legacies, strifes, what have you... which can be deleted and replaced at any time.
my recommendation is to have a storage area that is orderly... and a temporary waste area that you copy files into.

I have one directory for each game. In each directory I keep the original game, meaning the IWAD, the original EXE and the original SETUP.EXE.

Then I have a directory for every source port that I use or used to use, and a directory where I store all the PWADs.

Thanks for all the help guys, I know I'm slow in responding but I'm still IP Banned at my house and school for some reason.

Alright, so I do the following:

Set up my folders with the IWADS, PWADS and application in their appropriate folder, then use line parameters to specify the directory to read IWADS and PWADS from.

Do I have it right, or am I not understanding?

ScareCrow said:

Alright, so I do the following:

Set up my folders with the IWADS, PWADS and application in their appropriate folder, then use line parameters to specify the directory to read IWADS and PWADS from.

Do I have it right, or am I not understanding?

That seems pretty much right. You need to learn how to pass the IWAD locations and PWAD locations to each of the executables, as all have somewhat different parameters.

Also, many ports have launcher, where you can configure all the paths to all the WADs without messing with command-line parameters.

I keep all of my Zipfiles, Servers, WAD's all in their respective subfile to keep everything in order. When I was a newbie Doomer, I just had everything right in that folder, no subs or anything. But it, as well, was becoming a cluster wang.

insertwackynamehere said:

Someone should make a wad organizer...Hmm..that would be a fun VB project for me to try..

I've been considering that for a while, but it'd involve a lot of work integrating it with the .exes and sourceports, and more skills than I have currently.