Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dron

Nuts.wad

The nuts series the crazyest maps in existance. I have a few questions about it. Are the nuts series actually playable? Second are there any wads with more monsters then nuts3.wad? And third is there any port that can run the series without A. crashing B. Slowing to a crawl or C. Freezing?

No, I do not think there are any possibly answers to your questions other than NO. I wish I could have a different answer, but I don't think it's physically possible.

Now all we need is a SuperUltraMegaHyperDoubleplusBFG9.9827x10^27 that can take out 20,000 monsers at a time!

Ubik said:

Now all we need is a SuperUltraMegaHyperDoubleplusBFG9.9827x10^27 that can take out 20,000 monsers at a time!

After a few minutes I guess you will rather be begging for a chainsaw.

Railgun...
However making maps of this kind has no fucking sense. Because there's always someone that can make more monsters on square. On the other hand playing this kind of map makes no sense as well. I would be interested in fighting 10,000 monsters IF THE MAP WAS GOOD also.

Yes, they are playable, though you'll need a pretty powerful computer and to choose a suitable port, especially for nuts.wad and nuts3.wad. I think Nuts3.wad is only playable in Zdoom if you turn "Actors are infinitely tall" to "Off", but I'd be interested to see someone prove me wrong on that. :)

Demos: 1 2 3. FTP access to the Nuts and Nuts2 demos here.

Note that my Nuts3 demo plays back OK in more recent version of Zdoom, but with the player exiting even more quickly.

Zdoom can be used to play all three maps, but GLBoom gives the best framerate for Nuts.wad - on my hardware at least.

Surprisingly, Doom2.exe copes with Nuts.wad, until it runs out of memory. When attempting to play back my 0:45 demo, it crashes just before the exit (again, that's on my machine - YMMV).

Grazza said:

Surprisingly, Doom2.exe copes with Nuts.wad, until it runs out of memory. When attempting to play back my 0:45 demo, it crashes just before the exit (again, that's on my machine - YMMV).

BOOM 2.02 works, but occasionally flips out with a "Segmentation Violation".

Grazza, Nuts3.wad froze on my old computer (Compaq Presario) and ran at a freaking crawl on my Dell What computer did you use to record the nuts3.wad demo?

It's a Dell Dimension 8200 - nearly two years old, so hardly cutting-edge hardware. 2.2GHz Pentium 4, 1GB RAM, 128MB GeForce4 Ti4600.

It took more than 3 minutes to record that 49 second demo. Pretty choppy.

When watching the nuts.wad demos with timedemo (i.e. rendering every frame, as quickly as it can) in GLBoom, I get about 25 fps on average.

Unless you are aiming for a maxkill Nuts 2 is quite playable by a good doomer. The cybies in the middle room can be herded over in a corner and then ditched. Defeating them is another matter though.

Nuts 3 is playable in Zdoom due to the "crowdsurfing" thing.

Grove is very easy once you know where all the ammo is.

The biggest danger is always dropped frames making it hard to aim and dodge properly.

KoRn said:

Heh, thing #1,794,522

That's whats scary. And Grazza 3 minutes for a 49 second demo in nuts3.wad isn't surprising I mean if nutsx.wad actually RUNS on someones computer I shall be shocked to no end.

...buys a Cray supercomputer in hopes of playing nutsx.wad...

Imp said:

I dont understand while people like these wads. I like wads that are PLAYABLE and NOT IMPOSSIBLE WITH OUT CHEATS.

As the demos illustrate, many of these Wads are completable without cheating.

finished nuts2.wad without cheating (activate crushers, wait for all monters under them to die,wait until the longest possible time before letting them know of your presence (meanwhile ones woken up by the crusing will start infights around the crushers), then grab invaunrability and a BFG and batter away, now go into the next area and RUN to the end that lowers down (havent played it for a while, dont remember it too well), get through and hit the switch to seal yourself off from the spiders and cybers, then grab all the ammo, and..er..be dissapointed by the few zombies that attack you, run to the end and grab your prize, then exit

oh, and newbies should BFG the troopers who line the exit path for fun..heh

One thing you can say about the NUTS wads, they're good for seeing just how "hardk0er" your CPU is.

I'd imagine my PC will pop up with a special "feckorf" error when I try to run NUTSX.wad

Trasher][ said:
One thing you can say about the NUTS wads, they're good for seeing just how "hardk0er" your CPU is.

I'd imagine my PC will pop up with a special "feckorf" error when I try to run NUTSX.wad

I'm waiting for someone to develop a port which will pop out an error: "Sorry, this engine isn't compatible with the NUTS series".

i dont know if this thread is dead or not (probly is) but there is no NutsX.wad. in WIP I made that screenshot in Photoshop. I would however like to make another Nuts one, but something stupid, maybe even funny, like Nuts2. Or probly not. i dunno.