• Strife
    • Quake II
    • Blood
    • System Shock
    • Rise of the Triad
    • Dark Forces
    • Other

What's your favorite doom clone? Mine would probably be Quake or heXen

some real 'clones' would be more along the lines of maybe Corridor 7(i think thats what its called anyway). A few years ago I read of a psx game with a similar storyline to Doom, but I cant remember the name.

Most of those I don't consider clones at all. Mainly I consider clones to be games using the doom engine itself, the build engine. I chose blood of course, great game.

Hehe, thanks for reminding me of Corridor 7 Tobester. I have some fond memories of that game, not sure why though. I just thought it was pretty damn clever when they had the enemies that could shapeshift, so you walk up to a chair and all the sudden it turns into an alien.

Well, Quake 2 is my favorite on the list, but I've always thought of Doom Clones as Doom-era games, i.e. anything that makes it feel like you're walking down corridors with a gun, but not having ploygons. Of those, I think Duke Nukem 3d is the best.

Of those listed, I'll have to go with HeXen and Blood.

HeXen is the best of the actual Doom clones imo (it uses the Doom engine, hence it's a clone in my eyes).

Blood is not a clone technology wise, but its theme is sorta doomish and since it was on this list, I thought I'd list it too. I actually like Blood better than HeXen as it's less repetitive and isn't burdened with too many ridiculously difficult "puzzles" (quotation marks, because the HeXen 'puzzles' are more like extremely well-hidden switches and keys rather than actual puzzles).

"Doom clone" was a term used back in the day for FPS' before the term FPS was coined, much like RTS was a "Dune 2 clone." Asking what your favourite Doom clone is is essentially asking what you think the best FPS is.

My favourite 2.5D FPS would be Shadow Warrior. Best Build engine game IMO.

My favourite 3D FPS would be Half Life.

System Shock and Deus Ex are more than just an FPS, hence why I didn't list them there.

GooberMan said:

System Shock and Deus Ex are more than just an FPS, hence why I didn't list them there.

On the other hand, they do represent the knowledge that you can do more with 3d engines than just action.

Scuba Steve said:

Wtf? Where's Dark Forces?

Yeah, wtf? Dark Forces is the best Doom clone ever.

Blood was definitely a winner, and the release of the source code would be a grand day. I noticed an effort being made to port Blood using the Duke3d source and hoped Monolith would take heart, but we'll see..

Duke Nukem ain't a Doom clone, in my opinion. But anyway, my favorite Doom clone would have to be Turok. Great game.

I'd probably go with Heretic. Although that game does kind of give me the impression of being like a comic book about wizards, it's got the most similar gameplay to Doom that I've seen.

Draconio said:

I'd probably go with Heretic. Although that game does kind of give me the impression of being like a comic book about wizards, it's got the most similar gameplay to Doom that I've seen.

Heh, I'll go with Heretic too. It's like Doom, only in a fantasy setting - and what's wrong with that?
Although I admit that sometimes, depsite Heretic being so similar to Doom it's scary, Heretic actually feels like a completely different game, for some reason.

Nothing beats Rise of the Triad... which was actually based on a modified Wolf3D engine.

Shit I forgot to add ROTT and Dark forces Can some Mod add them please?

I loved Dark Forces from the moment I discovered a small bug: you can crouch and look way up at your enemy, punch him, and he launches 50+ feet in the air.

That alone makes the game fun. Also, did anyone try that game TekWar(I think based on a William Shatner book series)? It was essentially a Doom clone. I had the demo and it seemed pretty cool to me, if a bit confusing.