Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

Rise of the triad

who is a fan of this classic doom.... i mean wolf3d clone?
this game was made by 3drealms, before that was their name. and thus before duke3d. think of the game as a cross between wolf3d and duke3d. most of the engine seems to be a enhanced wolf3d engine, a little bit doom engine, and some duke3d features.
levels are constructed like wolf3d levels, all 90 degree angles and same hight rooms. it uses 3d spirtis, meaning over under object and it uses wad files.

i am sure most of you have checked out this game or even own it. if not, pick it up at 3drealms site. however it will not work well with XP or 2000, god thing is there are ports.

the game was both behind and ahead in ideas at the time. originaly going to be wolf II it was changed in the last months of developement. wolf like things are the MP-40.

ahead features
over/under spirits and enemies
rocket jump and jumping (had to cheat)
one of the few FPS with and an enemy that steals a weapon from you
look up/down
deathmatch and other buit in games (11 people games

behind features
wolf3d like levels and engine. only 90 degree rooms and same height rooms
a tad buggy
one of MANY doom clones, however i think it was in the works as early as 92

too bad this game isnt more popular, it was fun. even more now that the source is released

I liked ROTT quite a bit. Sure it was a bit on the zany side but it was a lot of fun. I think there were a fair deal of add-on levels made, but I'm not sure if the site that had them is still around.

When there's a Windows port of it, I might start playing it again. Or is there one already?

I think this is still the only FPS I've seen where you can get a weapon like the Excalibat.

But yeah, I love the game. It was one of those games where, when you finally beat it without cheating (and you HAD to know about the rocket jump and a hidden asbestos armor to do so, or a hidden Mercury Mode), you could really feel proud of yourself. El Oscuro, The NME, the dude in the wheelchair, General Darian...those were some damned hard bosses.

The engine is actually a modified Wolf3d engine with some pieces of Doom code in it that Carmack gave to them. From what I understand from the Rott In Hell article, Rott could have used Build, but decided not to. In a way, I'm glad it didn't.

And I think the music just plain rocked.

Icculus source port is here, btw: http://icculus.org/rott/

I liked ROTT because the developers didn't take themselves so seriously. The game had tons of humour throughout.

ROTT... Wow, this game brings back old memories. I should try to get a copy of it, I have not played it in like 5 years!
I remember people used to say it was the first real 3-D game cause of the stairs feature.

If ANYONE has managed to get that stuff compiled, feel free to share the wealth, as I've had no luck whatsoever with it. The only ROTT port I have ATM is compiled from an older version of the code, but the guy responsible has had trouble getting the new stuff compiled since then. I don't understand why the compiled shit has to be a secret, because it's certainly not an issue of size... maybe pride?

Yeah, grumpy about it, but I just don't see the point. :) Anyway, that older compilation has some flaws in the savegames and actually locks up at the end of the first episode, so having a look at the most recent stuff would be greatly appreciated.

One of the most memorable features of ROTT was playing in 'Dog mode'.
That was a lot of fun. But the music has become a bit tiring,
especially after trying to complete HR and the HR 2 beta.

Hmm that's the same compilation I have.. odd, but I thought he mentioned since then that new versions of the code were released and he then had trouble compiling the new stuff.

I wonder if I could track him down, since he has a personal webpage at my university. ;)

Hand of God and Mushroom Mode are two of the coolest things I've ever seen in a video game.

Yeah, "Ludicrous Gibs" Is what it'd say on the screen when that happened. That game was so much more violent than Doom. Especially considering you're killing people more often than demons. Alright game, played it way too much. Probably never play again.