Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ragnew

Iced Earth (Anyone here listen to 'em)?

Okay, so, I got to thinking about it and Doom and Metal pretty much go hand in hand with one another... Almost all Doomers (gamers for that matter) that I know are into for the most part Heavy, Power, Dark or Even Death Metal...

So I was just wondering how many of you have listened to, or do listen to Iced Earth (I'd have to say they're about the best Heavy/Power Metal band to have come out of the states in a long time). And with the not too long ago release of their newest album "The Glorious Burden" I was wondering what everyone thought about the band with new vocalist Tim Owens? At first I thought it was going to be very, very different not having Matt Barlow wailing on the tracks, and was surprised to see how well Tim fit into the band... Seems Jon's managed to get ahold of a vocalist that is just as good as Matt, sure Matt was the shit no doubt, but Tim did excellent on the new disc...

If you listen to Iced Earth, I'd like to know how everyone liked or disliked the new CD... And I'd also like to know how you think Tim will do on the next Conceptual album that Jon's working on? Do you think that Tim will be able to pull it off when it comes to an album based on Jon's "Set Abominae" character? Or do you think he'll choke when it comes time to band this guy out?

Personally I think Tim rocked on "The Glorious Burden" especially The Gettysburg Trilogy, Declaration Day, The Reckoning and Hollow Man...

So, if your an Iced Earth fan, let me know what you thought?

I loved it. Gettysburg is truly incredible :D. I had doubts of Ripper, until I heard him sing on the excerpts they released last year. Ripper just takes IE and makes it his own. I loved Barlow and Ripper is even better :D

I can't wait to see what they do for the next album. I heard it might be something along the lines of a something wicked remake. That'd be awesome. I can't wait to hear Ripper live either, as soon as they get some bootlegs of live IE, I wanna hear how he performs the older stuff. I have every confidence he'll do it all justice :D

Iced Earth get better and better as they go on :D

Oh yeah, Ragnew, you seen the video clip for the reckoning? It's interesting. Somehow it seems highly obvious to me that they've never done a video clip before.

I have a crapload of Iced Earth MP3s and I really like their music.

LorD BaZTArD said:
Oh yeah, Ragnew, you seen the video clip for the reckoning? It's interesting. Somehow it seems highly obvious to me that they've never done a video clip before.

:D

I'm a huge Iced Earth fan. Although, i do have to admit, i find TGB a little disappointing.... the music on most of the tracks is just lacking (it seems it was all saved for Gettysburg, which is awesome definately) and the guitar tone is pretty bad, very thin, trebly, etc.... but it is still a great album. I do like the concept and I love Owens' vocals.

imo,

Burnt Offerings > Horror Show > Stormrider > Dark Saga > Something Wicked > The Glorious Burden > S/T

LorD BaZTArD said:

I haven't man, but now that I know the Reckoning has video clips out, I'm gonna search high and low until I find'em!!!

LorD BaZTArD said:
Oh yeah, Ragnew, you seen the video clip for the reckoning? It's interesting. Somehow it seems highly obvious to me that they've never done a video clip before. [/B]

heheh, you must see the Rhapsody video clip called Power of the Dragon Flame !

PD: myk check your mail or PM!!!

ragnew said:

Okay, so, I got to thinking about it and Doom and Metal pretty much go hand in hand with one another...

No.

Anywhere I can get a free, legal earful of this band?

I had a whole bunch of Iced Earth and Blind Guardian MP3's, and was considering buying a few of their CD's, but I couldn't find a place that sold their albums (besides the Internet), so my interest in them faded.

ragnew said:

Okay, so, I got to thinking about it and Doom and Metal pretty much go hand in hand with one another... Almost all Doomers (gamers for that matter) that I know are into for the most part Heavy, Power, Dark or Even Death Metal...

No.

LorD BaZTArD said:

Just watched the Reckoning video.... Hehe, yeah, it's safe to say they haven't recorded too many videos and it shows... It kind of reminds me of some of Testaments older videos. The way that it was recorded and such...

Kid Airbag & Anders : I said that almost all doomers that I know listen to metal of all sorts (death, power, so on and so forth). Not all doomers and gamers in general.

ragnew said:

Kid Airbag & Anders : I said that almost all doomers that I know listen to metal of all sorts (death, power, so on and so forth). Not all doomers and gamers in general.

I realize, I just don't like the stereotype, especially since metal is one of my least favorite genres. The harder the metal, the less I want to hear it.

Kid Airbag said:

I realize, I just don't like the stereotype, especially since metal is one of my least favorite genres. The harder the metal, the less I want to hear it.

All good, I hope you don't think I was stereotyping you man. Maybe I should have made myself a bit more clear. Not everyone listens to the same music me and all my buddies do. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes... :) - Hehe, and yeah, I know what you mean about the whole "harder the metal, the less you want to hear it" notion there. Thats exactly the way I am... I hate Death with a passion, but I like good old Heavy and Power Metal.

I like all types of Metal (yeah I'm a freak I know)...

Iced Earth don't really interest me though, they have a couple good songs but thats about it IMO.

ragnew said:
I hate Death with a passion,

Death is actually a pretty decent band.

myk said:

Death is actually a pretty decent band.

Yeah, Death the band kicks ass, but Death as in Death Metal isn't one of my favorite music types...

ragnew said:

Reread my post and you will realise i didn't disagree with the "most doomer i know listen to metal" part, because i have no idea which doomers you know, and even less what music they like.

I do disagree with the "doom and metal pretty much go hand in hand with one another" part tho.

Anders said:

Reread my post and you will realise i didn't disagree with the "most doomer i know listen to metal" part, because i have no idea which doomers you know, and even less what music they like.

I do disagree with the "doom and metal pretty much go hand in hand with one another" part tho.

All good man, like I said to kid airbag, maybe I should have written some of it a little bit better.

Anders said:

DOOM has metal all over it; no other musical gerne (set of gernes, really) comes anywhere near as close as metal does to the mood, aesthetics and theme found in DOOM. Additionally, DOOM's music is primarily influenced by or composed of metal.

myk said:

no other musical gerne (set of gernes, really) comes anywhere near as close as metal does to the mood, aesthetics and theme found in DOOM.

I actually like Tolwyn and Mark Klem's Doom music a good deal more than Bobby Prince's.

Yeah, Doom (2)'s music had a lot of 'borrowed' riffs from rock/metal
songs in it; Pantera, Metallica, Slayer, Alice In Chains, to name a
few.
As for Iced Earth, they're ok, but if you're into power metal, you should check out LOST HORIZON. I think they're just about the best band in this genre I've ever heard.

Uncle 80 said:

As for Iced Earth, they're ok, but if you're into power metal, you should check out LOST HORIZON. I think they're just about the best band in this genre I've ever heard.

Yeah Lost Horizon are one of the better Power Metal bands out there, although I don't much like their second album. Best Power Metal band I've heard are Kamelot, oh and Iron Maiden if you count them as PM...