Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ubik

I actually played "The Sky May Be."

And yes, it IS the worst thing I've ever played. It's even worse than Ikari Warriors 2. It's not even fun in an ironic sort of way like bad movies, it's just mind-explodingly bad. It is THE Anti-Good.

Not that this should be a surprise to most of you, but I simply cannot fathom how somebody could possibly come up with something so absolutely abominable.

Pff, It's a hilarious wad and certainly more creative than most of the shit people make for Doom. Sure it's weird and difficult, but the skill settings don't start with Ultra-Violence for nothing. Nevertheless I have completed it on skill 4, I just saved fairly regularly.

I think maybe all the people going "GOD ITS THE WORST THING I EVER SAW I HATE IT SO MUCH" are taking it way too seriously. It's a level where the player has been cast into the personal toychest of the invincible "Great God Imp", which is running Windows 3.1. It's supposed to be a joke, and IMO a far funnier one than most of the "joke" maps that are forever being made nowadays. If you can actually get past the Imps-with-BFGs weirdness you might find it's a very creative and original wad.

I agree. It isn't something of bad design. It effectively creates a really bizarre environment and it's deadly but not pointless. The concept is well-rounded and unusual, too.

Worst wad ever? No fucking way.

Yes, of course there are worse WADs (those that crash all the time, those with giant HOMs and are full of completely broken sectors etc etc). That doesn't change the fact that this is one of the elite few creations that give me a headache, cause pain to my eyes, AND make me feel like I'm going to throw up. I'm guessing that was part of Doug the Eagle's evil plan...

It's like a work of modern art. VERY strange, obviously made by someone (at least partly) insane, causes mixed feelings, and seems to be equally praised and loathed.

Maybe you have to be British to enjoy that piece of crap, who knows.

In any event I have never seen a Doom level with so much effort obviously invested and so little to show for it. I don't care if it's a big "joke", it's stupid, infuriating, and unplayable.

Linguica said:

In any event I have never seen a Doom level with so much effort obviously invested and so little to show for it. I don't care if it's a big "joke", it's stupid, infuriating, and unplayable.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Even ironic enjoyment isn't possible with it. The "joke" isn't funny for more than half a second, and the half-hour it takes to trudge from one side of the huge cube to the other is enough to completely kill all the joy you can possibly garner from the map. And the .DEH completely eliminates any possibility of actual gameplay, so once the novelty of the horrifying aesthetics wears off, it's all downhill from there.

Don't get me wrong, I can completely appreciate humor and irony. Hell, I wear Nixon pins, go to Wesley Willis concerts and actually laughed at Gay Niggers from Outer Space. But... this map is trying too hard at being "weird" to even get ironic satisfaction out of it. No amount of Gen-X ironicism can make an 8192 cube of RGB pillars, gray walls and completely fucking randomly DeHacked enemies and weapons even remotely tolerable for more than a few seconds.

Oh, and there IS HOM in there. Unless zDoom just threw up or something.

I gave it a try, too. "bizarre" is the right word for it. It's even the best word to describe the included help screen, so don't forget to read it! More anoying than the wad is with no doubt the useless installer, a simple bat would be sufficient and would give the user an insight to what it actually does.
After I was through it, I figured out that Prboom wouldn't handle the DEH correctly so I freshly installed Doom 1.666. (I did not try it with an upgrade though. Just in case it wouldn't work with your newer version, download the shareware 1.666 and use the EXE which comes with it! Maybe other ports have better DEH-handling as well.)
After going through all that effort, just to see this "thing", the E2M1 appears, and the first thought crossing my mind was "It must be a graphical glitch", however, it wasn't. :D
At least, I can see some effort put into this. It's absolutely not the kind of crap "DoomJr" is.
I saw worse as well. The ultimately worse WAD ever would be probably a TC from "Corridor 7", an ealy ego shooter, I saw some time ago. It was the ugliest and least enjoyable game, I ever saw. In contrary to that game, this wad is absolutely worth a look, even it is not playable very well.

I can say now that nuts and wow.wad are MUCH worse as is "Motion" and many other wads.