Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathbringer

John carpenter's Ghosts of mars

Anybody seen this film? it was on sky last night, and is quite cool..and may have held some small amount of inspiration for doom 3..a few things i noticed where:

Trains that run on tracks between martian bases (check out one of the first exterior screenshots)

Security gaurds have black uniforms

In the police station (where much of the movie takes place when the main character's hide there) there are crates saying "MARSEC" in the background

Cheif security gaurd has a mean-looking black shotgun with a pistol grip

People getting posessed (by ghosts of martians, not evil influences from hell) become deformed, bloody zombies intent on murder

Evil hullicinations that happen during possession

Some characters have googles like the security guards of doom 3, only not orange..

deathbringer said:

Trains that run on tracks between martian bases (check out one of the first exterior screenshots)

Security gaurds have black uniforms

In the police station (where much of the movie takes place when the main character's hide there) there are crates saying "MARSEC" in the background

Cheif security gaurd has a mean-looking black shotgun with a pistol grip

People getting posessed (by ghosts of martians, not evil influences from hell) become deformed, bloody zombies intent on murder

Evil hullicinations that happen during possession

Some characters have googles like the security guards of doom 3, only not orange..

None of these things are original OR unique to the film Ghosts of Mars. They've all been done to some extent in other horror/scifi films...

I just saw the trailer pretty amazing stuff what the doom3 engine can render!

*cackle* yeah, some of it looks just like real life!

Hm, ive also noticed the shotgun in GTA2 looks a lot like the doom 3 one..

carpenter wanted to make a classic style monster/space movie. so he did take alot of features from older B movies about bot monsters and mars.
i watched and interview about the movie

personaly i didnt think it was that great

Heh, well i never said i liked the movie (that much..the end was the cheesiest thing i have ever seen, and i watch 70's tv shows!), just a few things put me in mind of doom 3, and more specifically that cool dream about doom 3 i had once (will dig up livejournal post if anyone is interested)

Ghosts of Mars has a definite gritty appeal to it.

If you think about it, it seems clear that what Carpenter was trying to do was mimic a video game narrative. It's like it's been pulled straight out of Quake 2.

In the sense that Stroggos' sky is orange and that is almost close to red. But the similarity stops there.

[offtopic]
What I dont get is how in hell could the quake2 marine survive? The air of Stroggos looks like its sulfurous or something. Yeah, thats good for the lungs.

I didn't really like GOM, dunnow the decors were not that good and a poor plot. For a mars movie yep Total Recall was really excellent.

Would be nice if we had a Doom movie once, Resident Evil one was pretty good in my opinion.

What the hell, Escape from New York and the original Halloween are absolute classics.

Neither are anywhere near as dull as the Thing.

I've never seen it myself, but the original 1951 version of the Thing (called the Thing From Another World) is widely rated as being far superior to Carpenter's remake. Though of course that's nearly always the case with remakes.

I'm a big fan of pulp scifi b movies and scifi in general throughout it's history and I can honestly say that carpenters version is superb.

I suggest you see it.

I have seen it (hence the "nowhere near as dull" comment), it's the 1951 original I've never seen.

Mr.Magnetichead said:

John's only good film to date is STILL The Thing.

Yeah.

It's almost on par with Alien.