Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DaJuice

Plasma Rifle WIP

work in progress...
I have taken a little time off from my Doom project recently, right now I'm trying to get an internship with the company that makes the 3d software I'm using (SideFX software). Here was the last thing I made, my idea of what the Plasma Rifle might look like. I guess there are more knobs & doodads to add but this is what I got so far. Crits & comments as always appreciated...

For some reason I always pictured it bigger. That is one sweet ass gun you modeled DeJuice. id should hire you to make these into lifesized toys. I'd but them in a heartbeat.

I always thought it would make more sence if the BFG was an attachment to the Plasma gun. since they both use Cells, and have a similer end to them.

Fucking nice!

Same question -- shouldn't there be a small cell plugged into it instead?

Can you give it a more gunmetal-like shine? Right now it looks plastic. Perhaps a little grain would help?

Does the software you're using come with a converter to MD3/MD2/3DS/etc? Even if only to 3DS, there are 3DS to MD2 converters, so once ZDoomGL comes around... you'll be the man... Also, in that occasion, you should definitely do a pulse rifle model.

Shapeless said:

I always thought it would make more sence if the BFG was an attachment to the Plasma gun. since they both use Cells, and have a similer end to them.

They're both modeled from the same toy gun, only the BFG is the gun turned on its side.

Scuba Steve said:

Does anyone know what toy the plasma gun IS based from originally?

Interesting question. I must further my collection of the guns the Doom arsenal is modeled from!

Thanks for your replies:)

Blackfish: Umm, good question, I know it completely looks like a rifle mag. I think those groooves on the sides are there to hold the rounds without too much friction, but obviously a plasma rifle would work in a different fashion, so I'll change it once I start modeling again. Anyways, the poly-count, I'm not sure since it totally depends on how many subdivision iterations you put on it. The actual modeled geometry might be somewhere around 10,000-50,000 polygons but then you need to subdivide the model to get it nice and smooth. If I showed the actual model without subdivison it would look more faceted.

Ultraviolet: It's just default materials on the gun right now, that's why it looks like plastic. Houdini can export as obj for one, which is generally the most useful format for exchanging models between 3d apps. Most converters should be able to go from obj to 3ds. However my models are totally useless for games, there are way too many extra polygons. The guns would have to be modeled from scratch with a game engine in mind.

You know, I also wouldn't mind seeing what toy guns they were based on.

It looks really sweet, but yes, that mag should be changed a bit and I'd also like for some futuristic looking indicators or something - like an energy gauge thingy. It is, after all, an energy weapon.

Linguica said:

They're both modeled from the same toy gun, only the BFG is the gun turned on its side.

You,uh.. are going to tell us more aren't you?

If you want to get really detailed, there's a red light near the butt of the gun and the top of the rifle doesn't look quite the same as that. But that's not to say that you don't have quite a nice model there.

Heh. I could be wrong on this, but I'm almost completely certain the plasma rifle is based on the front-end of this toy gun I used to own.

Basically, it was this ridiculously huge toy machinegun modeled vaguely after the M-60, but the front end (the dart-launcher) came off and left you with a machinegun and...something else. What you see as the front of the plasma gun is actually the back end of the toy, the part that connects to the rest of the gun. The familiar brown thing on the top was actually on the bottom when the full gun was really in use, it was desert-camo-colored, and it moved - it was used to cock the spring-loaded dart-firing device inside.

I've tried to find some pictures of said gun but I can't seem to find any. >< I got it at Kay-Bee Toys AGES and AGES ago - I was probably 8 or 9 years old at the time.

Heh, I'd love to see that, just for a bit of historical trivia.

Can you remember the brand name or what the thing was called or anything?

Doomster228 said:

Whats with the M-16 mag in the back? Other than that nice job.

img-timeline? Didn't you read the other posts?

Ultraviolet said:

img-timeline? Didn't you read the other posts?

Sadly, it's pretty common in this forum that people just click the link, look at the art, and then proceed to post their opinion, ignoring anything the author or other Members have written in their posts.

chilvence - No, I don't, unfortunately...it was extremely generic. I'm pretty sure they took the same gun and made a "normal" grey version that I had, a "jungle" version (by painting it green), and the desert version (likely the one used in Doom, if that is in fact what it was, which was painted brown). I'll look for a few pictures, but no guarantees.

not with crazy fuckers like you running arround. crazy ivan. i just had to say that. plase done take offence. plus you must realize, after all, i'm a dick

That is awesome. :D

At first I thought the first picture was a real one, I was like "Woah!" then I realized it was a model you made and I was like "Woah!". :D

Sweeeeeeet! What dsm said, but all you really need to do to the clip IMHO is put little green lights in the grooves, but I have the artistic vision of a breezeblock so whatever.

MaximusNukeage said:

not with crazy fuckers like you running arround. crazy ivan. i just had to say that. plase done take offence. plus you must realize, after all, i'm a dick

HA! So am I!

I'm kinda bummed out cuz I didn't get the internship:( Thanks for all the nice comments though. I'm animating the baron right now, so I don't know when I'll get around to fixing the clip.