Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom man

i want a modification on doom so i can get doom to be full screen on my laptop

I have a laptop and i started playing doom collectors edition...but the screen is small and centered in the middle. help me fix this someone!!!!

...Would you mind if I called you a f**king idiot?
Probably, so here's a thought: ZDooM.

Almost any port gives you the option of playing in full-screen mode (this tends to be the default option, so you probably won't need to adjust the settings). Try a variety of the popular ports and choose the one that suits you best.

If you really want to use Doom95, then you can make that full-screen as follows:

• Click on "Advanced..."
  • Click on the "Screen Resolution" tab
  • Choose "Full Screen" rather than "Window"
  • Click OK, and then "New Game"

Use3D said:

download zdoom, it's in the utilities section on the main page.

Why ZDoom only ? The other ports work perfectly too... stop the propaganda :)

His problems is just a fullscreen/window options wrongly toggled. It can happen with any ports (even Zdoom yes :)... just need to go in the video section and check if it has "window MODE" or something like that. Just change it to fullscreen.

ZDoom is not the port that I would recommend for people wanting to have real doom feelings. To me Zdoom is doom with the feeling of quake (mousing and moves). And if I want quake feelings, I play... Quake :)
I wonder when the other ports will be ZDoom WAD compatible ? I'd love to see prBoom or Legacy with perfect Zdoom WAD compatibility and no quake feelings.

VinceDSS said:

I wonder when the other ports will be ZDoom WAD compatible ? I'd love to see prBoom or Legacy with perfect Zdoom WAD compatibility and no quake feelings.

So Legacy feels more like Doom than ZDoom?

Yeah, right...

And if you use PrBoom don't forget to switch off the MBF enhancements because those are much more intrusive changes than anything ZDoom has ever done.

I always wondered about this whole 'ZDoom feels like Quake' thing that people have been saying, well, since ZDoom was created some 5 or so years ago. I mean, I never played Quake much myself, and the ZDoom menus sure enough look a lot like Quake's but if you turn off mlook in ZDoom I notice no difference between it and, say, prBoom, and aside from not being able to look all the way up/down it feels pretty much the same as jDoom. So am I missing something here? What the hell is with this allegation and why has nobody ever been able to give a concrete example of it?

Cyb said:

So am I missing something here? What the hell is with this allegation and why has nobody ever been able to give a concrete example of it?

No, it's apparently just the typical argument of an old-school hardcore Doomer. In other words: somebody who WANTS to have a reason not to use ZDoom. The menus alone are a pathetic justification for such a belief and aside from that the controls (which should be the only deciding factor) in some other source port are much more off than (possibly) in ZDoom.

Or maybe it's just the fact that ZDoom has a LOT more bugs fixed than any other port. Some of the old-schoolers might misinterpret that as 'lack of features' and 'feeling off' (need I say 'Wallrunning'? ;-) )

To me the mouse feel real different... and when I play Doom I like to have the oldschool mouse feeling :).

It might also be releted to the framerate which is not limited to 35 fps. That could make the difference in mouse feeling ?

Would be cool then to implement a "Old School Mouse Behavior" option :))))

you can turn off the uncapped fps in the console with cl_capfps 0 which will limit it to 35fps again. wallrunning can also be enabled in the compat menu (in fact I have it enabled myself), in fact a LOT of stuff can be enabled/disabled in the compat menu to the extent where you can get back most of the non-fatal bugs and features (infinitley tall things for instance) Doom had.

I dunno about mouse though (seems the same to me), but you can alter the sensetivity for overall, x axis and y axis and there's also a mouse smoothing option which I assume isn't avaliable in the original nor many (any?) ports

thx cyb I'll try this framelimiting stuff and see if it does something to my mouse feeling :)

Actually that stuff makes me a bit reluctant to play Zdoom wads.

/me hope it makes it better :)

I note that the framerate thing is fairly recent, having existed for less than 1 out of the 5 years ZDoom has been in existence.

VinceDSS said:

thx cyb I'll try this framelimiting stuff and see if it does something to my mouse feeling :)

Mouse sensitivity is a very tricky thing. The problem is that everyone has different preferences and this means that every programmer adjusts the scale to his own taste. I have found programs where I wasn't able to get a decent setting at all because it would have been above the upper or below the lower limit.

But I never found any differences between capped/uncapped framerate in ZDoom except that the frequency of mouse coordinate updates is framerate dependent. But this has nothing to do with the sensitivity setting itself. In the end that is just a value the true mouse positions are multiplied with (the formula is pretty much the same in every source port I have seen) so in theory you should be able to get a satisfactory setting as long as it's in the possible range.

Arioch said:

I note that the framerate thing is fairly recent, having existed for less than 1 out of the 5 years ZDoom has been in existence.

But it's one thing I can't play without anymore. Once you get used to an uncapped rate 35 fps just seem like total crap...

Is it possible for programmers to include different mouse codes and allow users to switch em ?

for example :
- prboom and legacy have feelings very close to vanilla
- eternity has very high acceleration (unfortunately not possible to disactivate it)
- zdoom has smooth weird mouse moves

most of the times i use prboom, vanilla or legacy... and zdoom for zdoom only wad. I can play decently with zDoom but I still prefer vanilla feelings.
And I never use eternity except for playing back demos, because I can't play decently.

I'm a bit amazed that you don't manage to get a decent mouse config in ZDoom. There are so many options in the mouse menu that some setting should fit your taste.

Graf Zahl said:

In other words: somebody who WANTS to have a reason not to use ZDoom.

How TRUE. You do realize of course that the same argument can be equally applied to any bias against anything - it's a human trait present in many people. In fact, resistance to change that an individual did not originate is amazing to witness.

For example:

Once you get used to an uncapped rate 35 fps just seem like total crap...

Once you play OGL ports, non-OGL ports seem like total crap... The old saying "practice what you preach" is very applicable here.

Don't get me wrong, ZDOOM has some great editing features, however, it needs to move on and get with the program :)

deep said:

Once you play OGL ports, non-OGL ports seem like total crap...

The more I play OGL ports, the crappier they get.

Fredrik said:

The more I play OGL ports, the crappier they get.

But that's not due to OpenGL. It's just the insane need to add graphic 'feature' after graphic 'feature' without them enhancing the game at all. Sure, JDoom can look nice but I find most of the eye candy more distracting than cool.

The programmers of OpenGL ports should see first that they support as many of the known rendering tricks as possible but there's only one OGL port that tries to (Risen3D).

deep said:

Don't get me wrong, ZDOOM has some great editing features, however, it needs to move on and get with the program :)

What program?
The one that gets all the jerks on board who refuse to play a game unless it has 1337 models and c00l light effects? Honestly, I can live without them.

Graf Zahl said:

But that's not due to OpenGL. It's just the insane need to add graphic 'feature' after graphic 'feature' without them enhancing the game at all.

Agreed, having the option to customise the effects always helps. I always hated legacys smoke trails but was stuck with it.

Regarding mouse control I only find eternitys to be 'unresponsive', it just takes a while to get used to as it's pretty subtle. I always run with acceleration and mouse smoothing off when possible.

Even modern games can feel odd, Far Cry feels very laggy compared to id's engines.

Szymanski said:

Agreed, having the option to customise the effects always helps. I always hated legacys smoke trails but was stuck with it.

A simple sprite replacement would have been the solution. But what's so bad about it? It's infinitely better than ZDoom's shitty particle effect.

The point is that Doom's textures and sprites look bad when interpolated (by conventional methods). Their resolution is so low that they end up looking blurry and with much less detail.

I most likely wouldn't mind a renderer that used "geometric" interpolation (like 2xSaI). The problem is that those don't work very well with (many) of Doom's graphics either--Doom's graphics are too photographic.

Graf Zahl said:

A simple sprite replacement would have been the solution. But what's so bad about it? It's infinitely better than ZDoom's shitty particle effect.

I think he meant an option to turn it off in Legacy, similar to how you can turn off zdoom's rocket trails. Editing the sprites in the legacy wad is a horrible way to customize things. I don't like the legacy rocket trails myself, they look hokey, but I do like ZDoom's rocket trails, so nyah :P

The only thing I like about ZDoom's rocket trails is that if you make the rockets invisible and change their damage you can get a weapon similar to the Q2 blaster :P

The new rocket trails are much better looking. I got tired of them myself so I'm fixing the sprites and changing the code a bit.

I remember back when I used source hacks a lot and I started using ZDoom over Legacy the one thing that disappointed me was the smoke trails. At least they look like smoke in Legacy. But yeah, it's lame that they can't be removed, like the water splash sprites... and the added sounds are even worse; even changing the lumps to an invalid or empty sound still gives out a slight cracking sound effect of some sort. I know all this quite well from back when I modified Legacy's wad in order to watch Romero's E1 demos.

myk said:

I remember back when I used source hacks a lot and I started using ZDoom over Legacy the one thing that disappointed me was the smoke trails. At least they look like smoke in Legacy. But yeah, it's lame that they can't be removed, like the water splash sprites... and the added sounds are even worse; even changing the lumps to an invalid or empty sound still gives out a slight cracking sound effect of some sort. I know all this quite well from back when I modified Legacy's wad in order to watch Romero's E1 demos.

I would appreciate if you discontinue the use of the term 'source hacks'. This implies sloppy work which doesn't really function and it insults the hard work of the programmers involved in it, even though you are mentioning an effect here that truly is implemented as a crude hack. How can something this important be hard coded into the engine without a change to switch it off or adjust it for custom maps? Yuck!