Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GooberMan

Brain food

This thread is purely hypothetical.

If you have a question where you can either take the moral standpoint or the survival standpoint, which one would you go for?

Case example: You've created a teleporter that works planet wide, is easilly mass produced, is cheap, extremely energy efficient, and can be on shelves for sale tomorrow. This is obviously a technological revolution that will change many facets of our lives. Using the teleporter will replace things like just about every form of transportation we have. Public transport will be redundant, as are all the manufacturing plants that make cars and such. This will put many people out of a job, and poorer countries that rely on exporting cars etc will be out of an economy. No economy means no money to buy food means people will die. On the flipside, it will virtually eliminate further pollution caused by current transportation methods, which will result in alot less reliance on our rapidly depleting natural resources which will no doubt run out within the next 20-50 years, which will keep the planet around for further generations to use. What do you do?

My thoughts is that it should be released. Econonmies are going to go bust anyway if we continue our reliance on natural resources. The difference there being that the teleporter being released now means our economies go bust in a planet that can still sustain life alot better than it would after being abused by natural resource consumption.

Release it, and watch modern society come crashing down!

Hahahahaha!

Release it to whom?

I'd produce it and use it to quickly take over the world, since I know that if I didn't I'd get murdered and my research would be stolen by the agents of some aggressive nation or organization to do exacly that themselves.

myk said:

Release it to whom?

GooberMan said:

a teleporter that works planet wide, is easilly mass produced, is cheap, extremely energy efficient, and can be on shelves for sale tomorrow.

Correct, which is why I'd stick to my lovely choice instead.

Yeah I agree with Fred release it and become EXTREMELY rich. Its not like YOU will get poor and starve

I think technology takes a while because it has to fade out the old ways of doing things. If this were to happen in a year or 2 people lives would change to fast and shit would happen. But if they kept it really hidden at first, and then made the teleporters really expensive, they would take a while to catch on, just like having a home computer in the 80's...

The only thing that sprang to mind as I read this post is this image of stupid programmers discovering ways to bypass security codes so people can teleport into victim's homes at any given moment. And you thought internet spam was terrible...

Solution: Suspend your teleporter 50 feet in the air, only to come down when you expect company.

*Man with demo model of penis enlargement device appears*
*Splat*
*Becomes Photoshop contest on Fark.com*

Numbermind said:

*Man with demo model of penis enlargement device appears*
*Splat*
*Becomes Photoshop contest on Fark.com*

what kind of 'splat' is this?