Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InfraRed

could be better music

now, not to badmouth Trent, i think personally there could have been a better choice for the music in Doom 3. Sure Trent could do the sounds and such better, but as far as Doom style music goes i think Children of Bodom would've been alot better, especiallt Triplecorpse Hammerblow, this song alone sounds like it originated from a doom level....i'd just like to hear opinions on this whether you want to rip on this idea or support it, it would just be interesting to hear some other veiwpoints

are you shitting me? Children of Bodom while playing a dark atmospheric game like Doom 3? hey, I like CoB, but Trent is perfect for the job. His music in the original Quake was absolutely perfect for the game, I hope he does the same with D3.

CoB are too fast. doom3 looks like its gonna be kinda slow paced and creeping along, and with a few fast paced areas

Yeah, but i always turn the music off in FPS, no matter how good it is. I prefer to listen to the sounds, especially in a game like doom, more atmosphere if there is no music. Unless the doom guy's helmet has a fitted MP3 player, i'm sure he'd rather have that on than worry about his face being ripped off. :D

Hello and welcome to yesteryear, please read the FAQ.

Trent Reznor is NOT, I repeat, NOT doing the music for Doom 3.

yeah i know that, Im referring to the music in general. But your right Fredrick, Trent aint doing it InfraRed!.

damn... thats a shame.

Lectrix said:

I prefer to listen to the sounds, especially in a game like doom, more atmosphere if there is no music.

listen to the music in Quake 1 though, thats a good example of music that adds highly to the atmosphere. I was hoping Trent could do the same for D3, but alas, no Trent....

SunlapseVertigo said:

listen to the music in Quake 1 though, thats a good example of music that adds highly to the atmosphere. I was hoping Trent could do the same for D3, but alas, no Trent....

If Doom 3 had wound up having the same boring style of music that Quake had, I'd have killed myself - no, not from fear, but from boredom.

Doom 3 won't have a music soundtrack, but it will have certain "music-like" sound effects so in a way, it will still have music.

dsm said:

If Doom 3 had wound up having the same boring style of music that Quake had, I'd have killed myself - no, not from fear, but from boredom.

the music was absolutely perfect, it wasn't supposed to be "entertaining".

I think going back to doom2, we should have some pantera, slayer, things like that, real metal bands, that will add mood to the music like they did with doom2 as opposed to techno metal like nin;'s which i like but i cant see a place for in doom3, and i never really liked what he did with quake anyways

Metal may be suitable for the original Doom, but angry, heavy music would totally ruin the dark, moody and genuinely spooky Doom 3 atmosphere. If the game were to have a soundtrack, then some kind of Silent Hill-eseque dark ambient or slow-paced & spooky industrial would be far more appropriate.

NiGHTMARE said:

Metal may be suitable for the original Doom, but angry, heavy music would totally ruin the dark, moody and genuinely spooky Doom 3 atmosphere. If the game were to have a soundtrack, then some kind of Silent Hill-eseque dark ambient or slow-paced & spooky industrial would be far more appropriate.

Seconded. Although I think Trent would have done it well. dsm, if you don't like the slow atmospheric "soundtrack" how will you enjoy the slow atmospheric gameplay?

I hate playing games that have metal/techno as the soundtrack; same in movies. There's nothing that runis the atmosphere of a game like imagining Metallica or a DJ jamming around you. Its completely irrelevent. But I have solved this problem you many of you:

Computer+Doom 3+random metal band+CD-ROM OR CD PLAYER!

SunlapseVertigo said:

the music was absolutely perfect, it wasn't supposed to be "entertaining".

Speak for yourself.

dsm, if you don't like the slow atmospheric "soundtrack" how will you enjoy the slow atmospheric gameplay?

Atmospheric music I like. Weirdass sounds I don't. Quake 1 had a totally weird soundtrack that in my ears detracted from the evil atmosphere of the levels (with a few exceptions). From the insanely annoying "whispering" music track to the retarded "operating-machinery-sounds" tracks that plays everytime you're inside a human base and a few other tracks. Of the eleven tracks on the Quake CD, only *one* was remotely decent and even when playing the game, it was so monotonous that it got to me in the end.

I like a few of the tracks from Doom64 - namely those that sound like freakin' music and I generally like some nice, evil, creepy music playing in the background when I play a corridor shooter game.

Id's solution of only having brief, "music-like" sound effects suits me perfectly. From what I heard in the bootleg E3 2002 video, I'm pleased (the "music" that plays after the guard being possessed up to the point where we see the hero marine arrive from an elevator). Course, now that Trent isn't doing the sounds, I don't know what to expect. Hopefully something as moody and cool as the little bit I heard in that video.

SunlapseVertigo said:

?

you said that the music in Quake 1 was "boring", which is the opposite of "entertaining".

Quite, but I was referring to your "OMG, Quake's music is perfect", seemingly disregarding that not everyone shares your sentiment and the possibility that maybe your sentiments aren't the eternal truth.

Yes, I figured you felt Quake's music was awesome and I respect that and yes, a similar kind of music for Doom 3 would have been right up your alley...

...but I just wanted to indicate that if you had had things your way, then a bunch of guys (a rather large bunch at that), myself included, would've gone mad/disappointed. I like to maintain that Id made the right decision in not having an actual music score per se, since it seems to be the solution that pleases most people.

PSX Doom's dark, atmospheric ambient > Quake's dark, atmospheric ambient.

Mind you, this is coming from somebody who's passionate about ambient artists like Lustmord, Dead Voices on Air and Harold Budd.

Trent made some decent stuff for Quake, but it didn't fit or enhance the game in any way.

I definetly think that PSX Doom's music was spot on, same for Doom 64. Doom 64 is unquestionably the most atmospheric and moody of all the Doom games. Infact I have to stop playing the game after a time because its so dark and uninviting. I think Doom 3 should use it as an example as far as ambient music goes.

I think it hasnt really been corfirmed yet from ID or NIN that trent Will not do the music. It still may be a chance that NIN will still be in. ID should have really tried to pick up Silent Hill musician Akira Yamaoka though. That guy can do some scary hella ambience,especially stuff from the first Silent Hill. He would be perfect for Doom3.

Brookhaven M.D. said:

I think it hasnt really been corfirmed yet from ID or NIN that trent Will not do the music.

It's been confirmed, finally. Just in the past few weeks, too.

Doom2 has lots of very nice tunes, like map23, 25, 28, 27, but most are covers of real songs like Linguica pointed out, but Doom 1 has all original score, almost, I think. I'm sure he'll be doing some nice stuff for Doom3 though...cover tracks or not.

Also, check out some tracks from this fighting game, Guilty Gear XX, I doubt you'll find them on Kazaa or something, but if you have something like DC++ you're sure to find plenty. Look for something called Megatona Furioso (Potemkin's theme) and Riding The Clouds (Anji's theme), especially those 2 are awesome, especially the first. Make sure it's the Korean version of the soundtrack. I think those guys could do some nice intense tracks for Doom3, if they just adapted to the feel of the game......................... :-)

Rob McKai said:

I definetly think that PSX Doom's music was spot on, same for Doom 64. Doom 64 is unquestionably the most atmospheric and moody of all the Doom games. Infact I have to stop playing the game after a time because its so dark and uninviting. I think Doom 3 should use it as an example as far as ambient music goes.

Can I find them for download anywhere? Both of them.

Rob McKai said:

This is what I've sayin' all DAMN YEARs everytime they bring up this D3 music question!! PSX DOOM/N64 DOOM!! If id was able to offord him They should hire motion picture composer "JAMES HORNER", he did both of 1st 2 ALIEN movies. Or hire the "Budapest Symphony Orchestra"(Hitman2) and find a decent SCI-FI/Horror score writter to come up with some decent movie orchestra tracks for the game........

TSAR,

I rather listen to music that's really depressing than creepy. I mean depressing music to the point where you feel like there's no way out. Also to the point where you feel what the character in the game is feeling. Well, that's what I like basically. I listen to Alice In Chains while I play DooM, and I listened to them while reading the books. That basically set the mood for what Flynn and Arlene went through.

As for creepy atmospheric music. I don't think the game needs it. The noises themselves scare the crap out of my system. I jumped 109345673265 times when I was playing the alpha, and that's just off sounds alone.

I listen to Alice In Chains while I play DooM

Everyone should try that.

By the way, were the rumors of the band Tool recording for the game false? When i heard about it last year, it made sense since their vocalist is doing another project and you don't hear lyrics in a game.