Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

i think they are done

i think Id is done with the single player part of the game, and has been done for a little while (first of the year)
i think they are hesitating for a number of reasons on its release.
they want to see how games like half-life II and halo II will do.
they want to hit the best time of the year (around holidays)
new hardware to become more common
they have no reason at all to release it, even if it is complete. they know people will buy it. and thus it all becomes marketing

reasons why i think the game is done.
Xbox port is in full production. they would need a finished or at least a 95% finished product in the first place.
the game has been in developement sence about mid 2000. a well known company with many talented individuals has been working on it.
the fact the X-box port is going to be released near CPU release time.
enemy territory provided a hint. they dropped the addon to RTCW and released it. i bet because prior to the release of enemy territory they had gotten a deal with Id to work on doom III a project that would give far more money than any RTCW addon.

as for a date? well like i said they have NO reason to release now. the way i see it they will let competitors release first. i am personaly betting on a december release date or even this time next year. i think it is lame if Id is doing this, but remeber they ARE a corperation. honeslty dont get your hopes up on an april date, or even a summer date for that matter. i am 100% sure you will not see doom III until atleast 2-4 months after the release of half-life II.

Hmmn, I would have thought the opposite. Wouldn't be smarter to cash in on the hype first? More HL2 fans would be apt to buy it (imo) if it came out before, for the same reasons I would actually buy HL2 if it came out first. To wet the appetite before my prefered game came out. By then I might not care.

i remember back in like feb-april of 2003, reading on here that doom3 was "90% done". i remember readin that cuz i was in AP history class looking on the computer at these forums and other forums and i yelled it out in the middle of class. very vivid memory.

i dont see why they would wait for competitors games to be released first. but maybe. im sure the guys at id would like to add $23948273948273498273498237.00 dollars more to their bank accounts, but I think there content with what they have now.

but i think im saying this because what you said just scared me.

and i think they are done to. maybe working on mp, but i doubt it. couple months back i remember hollenshead or someone from id saying that all they had to finish were optimizations to the code.

not everyone can buy 2 games back to back, it takes me a long time to beat a game, now, i want both and will get both

but why wait till everyone has bought and is playing 1 or 2 other top-of-the-line-next-gen competitors games to release theirs? I mean what if HL2 is the bestest coolest most advancedest game you ever dreamt of.. id are gonna rewrite all of Doom3 to compete? No their gonna release the crappy obsolete Doom3 hoping when the store is out of HL2 someone might just pick up a Doom3?

I think they will both be good, depending on the day i'm more excited for one or the other (but mostly Doom3 baby!!) but what a silly reason to wait till your super advanced game is just like all the others or even older then everything else out.. it'll be out 'when its done' and can truly compete with the 'other' games out and on their way out

I hope Doom III will come out soon (before june at least and I'm thinking it will) but hey I can be wrong and I always know that. But I think it's kinda (I say kinda because I know it's very possible that they really are going to release Doom III this way) foolish to think that they'd have there release date influenced by other games (competitors? yeah. right... There all just games and ID just cares that their games are good-are what gamers want. They don't care about other games selling better than their games. Or do they?). What happened to the "We don't need other games to suck for ours to be good.". Was that a cover-up just to make 'em look good?

Goat said:

i remember back in like feb-april of 2003, reading on here that doom3 was "90% done".

The last 90% usually take a long time.

If the game was 100% done, they would release it. But the game isn't 100% done. It's not harder than that.

All I know is that, they took there good old time comming out with a doom 3... I think I have been waiting since 1996. Can we please hurry up already. :P
I agree with Sephiroth, it has to be done by now!

Sephiroth said:

i think Id is done with the single player part of the game, and has been done for a little while (first of the year)
*list of reasons for above claim*

Boy, you're naïve.

Fredrik said:

The last 90% usually take a long time.

If the game was 100% done, they would release it. But the game isn't 100% done. It's not harder than that.

How is that rule again? it costs 80% of the total amount of time to finish the last 20% of the job. (that is why most people skip the last 5%-10%). As i did in my new house where i still have to finish.....

\me logs off, and goes to work

The fact that they're voice-recording this late in March seems to hint at two things.

One - they're almost done with the game, as voices are almost always one of the very last things developers take care of when making a game.

Two - I'd say it's too late in March for the game to wrap up and ship in April. My prediction now is May, and I'd bet you can count on that.

mje said:

Two - I'd say it's too late in March for the game to wrap up and ship in April. My prediction now is May, and I'd bet you can count on that.

Ahh May, my month of birth. Doom 3 coming out then would be a wonderful bday present (even though I'll have to wait for it to ship here in Europe about a month after it is released in the US - getting good news also counts!).

But yeah, things point in the direction that it's almost done, but we really can't be sure of that. They're still perfecting the game and all sorts of dumb little issues could show up and turn out to be harder to right than anticipated, but I really freakin' hope that the last issues are being worked out without too many problems.

i might agree to this whole theory about d3 being done noe, but....

wtf? neither halo2 nor HL2 are out, do there is no competition, afterall people do have a limited bugdet for buying gmaes, holiday seaon or not, so if the game was done i would release with no delay. unless they are still working with the grapphics card thing, ya know with the new nVidia thing coming out.

dsm said:

Ahh May, my month of birth. Doom 3 coming out then would be a wonderful bday present (even though I'll have to wait for it to ship here in Europe about a month after it is released in the US - getting good news also counts!).

Heh me too :D

dsm said:

Mwaa haa haa HAA HAAA HAA *cough cough* ahem. dsm, one of Doom's biggest fans and he won't have the game until a month after some american newbs will. Ah, the irony.

I'll wait until a possible July release date. What a more perfect way to celebrate my 21st?

Scabbed Angel said:

Mwaa haa haa HAA HAAA HAA *cough cough* ahem. dsm, one of Doom's biggest fans and he won't have the game until a month after some american newbs will. Ah, the irony.

It's no different than what I experienced with the original (in fact I'm sure I'll be better off this time!): I didn't see the game until a few months after it was released, then I had to endure half a year where I couldn't get the thing to work on my shitty comp, before I could get to play the game with the smallest possible screensize and with the sound quality pretty low.

This time, I'll just wait a single month after release and then I'll get to experience Doom 3 in all its glory - sounds like pure bliss compared to my situation about ten years ago.

dsm said:

It's no different than what I experienced with the original (in fact I'm sure I'll be better off this time!): I didn't see the game until a few months after it was released, then I had to endure half a year where I couldn't get the thing to work on my shitty comp, before I could get to play the game with the smallest possible screensize and with the sound quality pretty low.

This time, I'll just wait a single month after release and then I'll get to experience Doom 3 in all its glory - sounds like pure bliss compared to my situation about ten years ago.

We could always send you a copy. Or will yours be in German?

PS. I know this is probably a stupid question, but otherwise why not get it off ebay or a distributor is the US?

Scabbed Angel said:

We could always send you a copy. Or will yours be in German?

Heck no, we usually get the UK version, which is almost 100% similar to the US version, over here. Only difference is that it usually takes a month after US release for the game to hit the shelves here.

I've waited +3 years - I think I can handle a single month :-)

insertwackynamehere said:

But yeah, things point in the direction that it's almost done, but we really can't be sure of that. They're still perfecting the game and all sorts of dumb little issues could show up and turn out to be harder to right than anticipated, but I really freakin' hope that the last issues are being worked out without too many problems.

me three. and i mean the birthday part only. when yor bday dsm? mine is may 2nd.

dsm said:

Heck no, we usually get the UK version, which is almost 100% similar to the US version, over here. Only difference is that it usually takes a month after US release for the game to hit the shelves here.

I've waited +3 years - I think I can handle a single month :-)

Hmmn... dsm a Taurus... that'd explain a lot ; P. Just like Trent Reznor.

Skeletor said:

when yor bday dsm? mine is may 2nd.

May 19.
And yea, I'm a Taurus - that's why I get aggressive too easily ;-)

Companies are usually done at least a month and a half before the game itself is sent to stores. Personally I don't expet doom 3 to come out untill July, June at the least.

dsm said:

May 19.
And yea, I'm a Taurus - that's why I get aggressive too easily ;-)

I'm a Virgo. I read somewhere that Virgos and Tauruses make good couples and have little ones. You wanna have little ones with me?

Holering said:

I'm a Virgo. I read somewhere that Virgos and Tauruses make good couples and have little ones. You wanna have little ones with me?

Whoa! dsm is the pimp mack-daddy of Doomworld!

like i said Id software is a corperation. like any buisness they aim to make money.
how would you know if they are or are not done? i dont, but i am taking a guess.
no matter what anyone says no one except Id and perhaps activision knows if or if not the game is finished.

competitition is important. i am not looking at just how the game does, but how Id does. alot more money is also made on licencing the engine. being the latest and greatest can really help you sell something that costs $250,000 plus.

Also marketing, yes they will make a mint either way. however which would you do? release the game when finished or wait until a good time of year (holidays) to release a game.

though this seems kinda lame, but remeber Id is a company so money is the objective of any company.

that is why i think Doom III is done. looking at hints and useing logic, that simple.

as for a true date all i know is that it should be out before or on december, really beyond april or may seems foolish. however it could even be another year.

reasons for a next year release. despite the fact the game would have gone a bit out of date (assuming it is finished now) it would be good for marketing. the latest and greates engine. it would seem newer than it really was. however that seems more like a microsoft practice

they want to see how games like half-life II and halo II will do.

In the advanced design classes I've taken, we usually said that being the first on the market is good..

Now you may be right, as HL2 code was "stolen" etc...