Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoost

Animal rights

I heard that in the Netherlands each year 6 million little mail pigs are castrated (by cutting off there balls, with a knife), because the testostoron can have an impact on the smell (not tatse, allthough they are interrelated) of 3% of the pig population.

That is without any form of annastesia (how do wright that word). 6 million per year. They also cut of tails and whatever. They do this without annastesia because it costs 45 eurocents per pig, and it would be bad for profit. Geeez.

Allthough I'm not a vegitarian. I think i should become one fast.

I think animals should have the right not to be hurd unnessecary.

Terra-jin said:

If animal rights impede economic growth or scientific progress and the like, I am against it.

you must be joking. profit over animaltorture?

you people eat pig balls?

We eat balls of pig, yes.
They are called "gehaktballen".
:-/

Don't become a vegetarian just because of one example. It's not like everyone who raises animals for food castrates them. Geez...

most animal rights groups are morons.
true i may not agree with cutting off the tails and such for no reason and the lack of pain killers.

one big practice i dont like is canabalizing, feeding the animals meat bi-products of the same animals. that is why we have mad cow and other such things out there. others things like steriods and such also cause healthproblems in humans.

words of advice if you do go vegee, make sure you get the correct protien and calcium.
i knew 2 sisters of a friend who went vegee in high school. they did not watch their diet at all. after several months they started loosig hair, wounds would not heal and periods skipped. they latter found out that they where not getting the ammino acids that our body does not produce. doctor basicly ordered them to eat meat, alot of liver and such. they never went back to being a vegitarian. just do your homework if you decide to do that.

Sephiroth said:

most animal rights groups are morons.

"Most"? I'm sure you mean "a few, that incidentally make a lot of noise".

male, testosterone, taste, testosterone, anesthesia, right, anesthesia, although, vegetarian, hurt

Sephiroth said:

words of advice if you do go vegee

Well. I like meat so i will go for the "green" meat. I have no problem with meat as long as my meat did not suffer any unnessecary pain, and could live some "normal" life )and eat normal food. And do some protesting, political stuff.

ravage said:

male, testosterone, taste, testosterone, anesthesia, right, anesthesia, although, vegetarian, hurt

almost poetry...

I spell just as bad in my native language

Sephiroth said:

words of advice if you do go vegee, make sure you get the correct protien and calcium.

From the example you cite, I would guess that they chose quite a bizarre and restricted diet. If you just eat a good variety of foods (including nuts, cheese and fruit; maybe tofu too), then there should be no such problems, certainly not from the point of view of calcium and the essential proteins. It is rather hard to concoct a varied vegetarian diet that leads to problems like that.

I have a number of things I enjoy saying to vegetarians/vegans. My favorite:

"You know, plants scream when you cut them."

Which I believe, by the way.

Being a humanist, I could care less about what happens to animals. I mean, I wouldn't go out slaughtering them or anything just for fun. I'm not like that. But as long as their death benefits the human race, I'm all for it. So I say go ahead and slaughter animals for meat and kill monkeys in the process of finding a cure for AIDS and cancer. I do oppose however, the testing of cosmetics and such on animals, and unhealthy livestock-raising practices such as dumping waste into the water table, adding steroids and mammary-enhancing substances to the diet of livestock, and so on. Of course, the same stuff happens in produce and grain farming as well, what with pesticides and all. I seriously think the FDA or whoever is in charge of such things to enforce some serious reform in food production practices.

Zoost said:

Allthough I'm not a vegitarian. I think i should become one fast.

Just don't eat netherland pork or bacon.

Danarchy: What's the difference to you between torture for a cure for aids or torture for a cure for frizzy hair?! ; )

I'm vegetarian except for the fact that I do eat meat. What's the word for that?

By the way, the human race sucks.

AndrewB said:

I'm vegetarian except for the fact that I do eat meat. What's the word for that?

By the way, the human race sucks.

Uhh... an omnivore I think. Fully agreed on the suckage of the human race.

Scabbed Angel '04
Misanthropist
Motherfucker
Amercian

Scabbed Angel said:

Danarchy: What's the difference to you between torture for a cure for aids or torture for a cure for frizzy hair?! ; )

That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard. AIDS kills millions of people every year. Frizzy hair is a mere inconvienience.

AndrewB said:

Flexatarin, if I remember correctly. There was an article on Fark a day or two ago about that.

Don't remind me. I lived in a pig farm during my teens; I had to occasionally help my dad as he cut piglets' balls off. I held them while they screamed.

I am a vegetarian now, though. But that's not the main reason why (though some degree of sympathy for the poor things must have contributed.)

I just hate it when we're branding calves and the wind is blowing east so all the damn smoke is blowing in my face all day. Heh, a couple summers ago my friend was walking past the squeeze and slipped in teh pile of sever cow balls and landed on his back in the pile. He didn't think it was nearly as funny as the rest of us did, but it was.

Life feeds on life, feeds on life, feeds on life....

AndrewB said:

A non-vegetarian.

i'm a vegetarian, though not a preachy moralistic one, i just happen to not eat meat or meat products (e.g. gelatin) . i do wear leather shoes and just cant resist chip shop chips (usually cooked in lard/dripping, ewww... but tasty!) ... so i dont have a leg to stand on if i wanted to argue about it, which i dont. i have been since in was 16, 11 years this november (it's been so long that i dont even remember if i had a reason to go veggie in the first place, i think i was trying it for a week, heh, now i just AM, in the same way that people listen to different types of music i eat different types of food) and i have suffered no ill health, at all, ever. though i actually LIKE cabbage, parsnips, muching on nuts, cheese, salad sandwhiches, yes, plain boring veg all the time, every day, veg veg veg tomatoes cucumber yet more veg. and marmite on toast. which is yeasty and contains things you dont get in veg (what with yeast being almost an animal!). er. on a side note my diet is very low (in comparison to the general populous) in salt and sugar, i dont eat macdonalds etc. not particularly fond of sweet things generally (i'm a savoury guy) i'm choosey about my pizzas and takeaways and can cook mean food out of plain ol boring vegetable without any additives =)

however i DO believe that when people preach that animal experimantation in the ame of science is "neccesary" that it's bullshit. you can grow human skin culture in dishes and test shit on that it's just cheaper to slaughter rats and bunnies in the name of cancer research. which sucks IMO. but then again i know no one and have never known anyone who has, to my knowldge, benefitted from the results of such research (at least in the modern age, lets not hark back to the dawn of all medicine!) so i dont have any empathic connection with such scientific/medical advances.

as for cruelty for the convenience of the farmer/consumer really really sucks. to save money, to make it taste better/smell better!? surely that is just plain wrong, e.g. battery hens, hens in cages just for the convenience of collecting eggs and saving space, absolutely unjustifyable in my opinion and i wish it could be stamped out and it would be if ppoliticians nowadays had the balls to piss off the companies (read funders!)

oh, and dolphin friendly tuna kills albatrosses and other birds that get hooked on the lines when trying to eat teh conveniently lines up foood. solution? dont eat tuna. it's hardly rocket science. have a tomatoe instead, yum vitamins!

Danarchy said:

That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard. AIDS kills millions of people every year. Frizzy hair is a mere inconvienience.

Uhh...heh. Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying : it was a joke. Should I add joke tags or are you really so uptight?

cycloid said:

i'm a vegetarian, though not a preachy moralistic one, i just happen to not eat meat or meat products (e.g. gelatin) . i do wear leather shoes and just cant resist chip shop chips (usually cooked in lard/dripping, ewww... but tasty!)

I'm a non-smoker, apart from cigars and cigarettes :P

cycloid said:

and marmite on toast. which is yeasty and contains things you dont get in veg (what with yeast being almost an animal!).

Err...yeast is no more an animal than mushrooms are. They're both fungi (unless my memory is screwed up and its a type of bacteria).

i'm not really sure myself, but still, 'shrooms rule! lotsashrooms all chopped up to make me a chilli non carne tonight (with actual chillis too) that was really nice and i made twice as much as i needed so same again for supper!

Lord FlatHead said:

I speak Dutch and this man is a liar.

Iirc, Belgians who speak this Dutch-like language speak Flemish.

So...that would make you a liar...sorta ;-)

Just nitpicking :-P