Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Janderson

Control

Keyboard for selecting weapons, running and strafing, and opening doors.
Mouse for maneuvering and firing the weapons.

Keyboar-Mouse... Just like Ichor, DooMBoy, Sephiroth, Quake-type!

But I sorta kick ass on keyboard only also.

mouse for aiming (I play with zdoom no-autoaim. And no one say 'aiming isn't doom!' because I don't care). I also have the mouse for shooting, use, and switch weapons.
keyboard for all else.

Mouse for firing and manoeuvring, keys for move/open/jump. Stupid ms natural keyboard makes reaching # keys for weapons hard though.

I only use mouse for aiming with the Railgun in Quake 3. I don't find the need in DOOM

You need precise aiming in Doom too, especially when fighting distant monsters. And it's possible to turn a lot faster with mouse too. I'm not saying that you can't be an exellent Doom player with keyboard, but that with mouse you could be even better. But that's just my opinion!

Ichor said:

Mouse and keyboard. Turning speed on keyboard is terrible. that's the main reason why you would want to use the mouse. However, occasionally, I use the mouse to move incredibly slowly if I need to fine tune a position to pounce on my opponent. For movement, I use W for forward, S for backward, and A and D are strafe left/right respectively. I'd say that's a pretty optimal setup for keys.

You will never come close to reaching your full potential if you limit yourself to just the keyboard or even a gamepad.

Keyboard + mouse is arguably the best combination. Most - almost all - Doom gods have used it. Some people are/have been very good as keyboarders only (Xit Vono, Mike Toliver, Yonatan Donner, Chris Ratcliff, Richie Agnew, etc.), but if/when they switched to keyboard + mouse, they became, without exceptions, even better.

Graf Zahl said:Keyboard and mouse - using source ports which support mouselook.

Source ports? Any specific Zahl? like those beggining with "z" ? O_O

Keyboard and mouse with a Half-Life style config (E to use), using Eternity, ZDoom, Edge, and occasionally GLBoom (for only two WADs - PAR and Grove)

Ichor said:

I use the mouse also for opening doors

Keyboard - forward, backward, strafing, weapon switch, and action
Mouse - turning and shooting; Secondary = forward, weapon switch, and strafing

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Keyboard. IMO the mouse is only really needed in more modern FPS's, where a lot of looking around and precision aiming is required.

Man, there is no way you can watch an lmp of Ocelot or Noskill, or basically any good DOOM II player and say the mouse isn't needed.

Playing keys only in DOOM is a serious handicap.

I have a 5-button wheelmouse, so I use that for everything except for./back. and strafing.

Though I used 100% keyboard for a few years, and that's where I gained my skill from.

mje said:

Man, there is no way you can watch an lmp of Ocelot or Noskill, or basically any good DOOM II player and say the mouse isn't needed.

I presume you have never watched any of Ryback's demos, or else didn't realize he is a keyboarder.