Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cyb

Lights, Camera, Doom 3!

Over at Gamespy there's a new Doom3 article which is all about an integral, but not oft discussed part of Doom 3; the voice acting. Recorded fairly recently in Salami Studios in North Hollywood, California, and utilizing such voice acting all-stars as Phil LaMarr (Futurama, Justice League, Family Guy), Nick Jameson (Call of Duty, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Knights of the Old Republic) and Jim Ward (Call of Duty, The Hobbit), the voice acting (including, but not limited to, various screams of pain and horror, and of course storytelling elements) is sure to be a hit. The article covers the sessions of those three actors and some background on the producers directing at all. A good read, as well as a nice change of pace from the previews, and well worth checking out.

FP!

Hmm.. Doom 3 had better have good voice acting. One of the things that ruins a game for me is bad voice acting.

Oh my Shit! Phil LaMarr!?

Egon Spengler
Brain
The Voice of Orson Wells in...
Ed Wood
The Critic
Futurama
...Sooo Much More!

The man's my hero right behind Mel Blanc!

[edit] Wait... I'm thinking of Maurice LaMarche...

Well... Phil LaMarr is good too...

[02:50am] <Scuba> Phil LaMarr Doing Doom3 voices?!?
[02:51am] <Scuba> Wait... That's no good
[02:54am] <Scuba> I was thinking of Maurice LaMarche
[02:54am] <Scuba> hmm..
[02:54am] ð Scuba/#doom edits his post on DW to remind everyone how stupid he is
[02:56am] <Cyb> dear doomworld, I am dumb, love scuba syeve
[02:56am] <Cyb> close enough
[02:57am] <Scuba> Please edit my post accordingly :P
[02:59am] <Cyb> yeah if orson wells was gonna be in doom3 they'd call lamarche
[02:59am] <Scuba> hahaha that would rock

--- later ---

(Scuba's image, not mine, obviously :P )

This article is damn good imo - it's nice to read about something other than the game itself and voice acting was indeed an interesting topic.

Man, I know I'm going to spend a lot of time exploring the pre-invasion Mars facility before I leap into the fray against demons, and in no small part because of the voice acting (but it's not the only reason) :-)

Scuba Steve said:

Brain

As in "Pinky and the Brain"?

The article was pretty interesting. I also hope Doom3 will make an apearance before QuakeCon.

I thought I recognized Phil LaMarr from somewhere. I remember him mostly from Samurai Jack.

Deathman said:

voice acting in video games completly fails it.

Not really. As of recently most games have had high quality stuff; Vice City, Max Payne 2, KOTR, Call of Duty, just to name a few, and the talkie versions of most old LucasArts adventure games usually had great voice acting.

Deathman said:

voice acting in video games completly fails it.

That's a negative - you may not be very interested in cool voice acting, but the gaming market as a whole is.

I've talked to/seen commments by countless people who think good voice acting really adds to a game. I think I can safely say that I'm one of them myself.

Of course, voice acting isn't everything in a game (and not really the most important aspect in any way), but it's a positive addition that adds to the overall experience.

Voice acting is good if done right. It makes a game fell that much more immersive and engaging. And I don't think the DOOM 3 gurus are going to let something as obscene as bad voices wreck their game.

The voice lineup already looks promising.

Heh, Phil LaMarr did the voice of Eddie Murphy in Clerks the cartoon, and it was a very good impression if you ask me. Therefore he gets extra brownie points from me.

spank said:

Phil Lamarr's characters in MadTV ruled!

UPS!

I agree with Kaiser overall. I haven't played a huge amount of games with good voice acting. But it's an area which is certainly improving.

If they're going through all this trouble with finding voice actors for Doom 3, then there's something I want to see (and hear).

A secret level or area, rather simple. Duke Nukem tied up in the middle of a room. Suddenly a shadowy figure emerges and points a shotgun at him.. *BOOM*

Then Bruce Campbell says "Hail to the true king, baby." and the scene ends.

Why? Well, it'd be an opportunity to knock 3D Realms for the knock they did at Doom oh so many years ago ("That's one Doomed space marine!"), not to mention the fact that DNF _still_ isn't out, and finally it'd be a sweet way for Bruce to get revenge considering he was pretty peeved about his lines being stolen without permission or even recognition.

Heck, Brucey would prolly do it for free. What the hell does this have to do with the topic? Umm, the fact it should have voice? :)

- J.C. "SailorScout" Bengtson

Wow, it's SailorScout :)

omg Samurai Jack will be in Doom3!

Sign in to follow this