Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Grimm

Grimm's Mini-Reviews launched

Heh, here it is.

For those too lazy to click the link, I'm playing through all the Doom 1 WADs in the archives and writing mini-reviews of them. I should be done in about 2 years or so. :) 0-9 is what's up now. Check it out, I already found a few neat ones.

Actually quite good reviews. More informative than Doomer4ever's (he is trying to achieve something similar).

Heh, and you have the gall to slag off Sam Woodman, but I guess we all had our wobbly "starting steps".

Yay I got a 4/5 for my 10years.wad. :D

Cool idea by the way. It'll be a help in deciding what to download.

We've seen so many Doom map and deathmatch map reviews, yet no Heretic and Hexen map reviews that I can find anywhere.

Ichor said:

We've seen so many Doom map and deathmatch map reviews, yet no Heretic and Hexen map reviews that I can find anywhere.

That is too true! id be tempted to do something like that but don't have the time for it.

Any chance of reviewing the /Ports/ folders, too? (go on, there's only a couple of wads in the 0-9 bit...in fact there's not much in any of the Ports folders)

PS: I agree, we do need a Heretic/Hexen review site - even the Heretic/Hexen part of the idgames database doesn't get used.

Ichor said:

Why not do something about it then? ;)

I'm more interested in supplying the maps to be reviewed, heheh.

Ditto :) Uh, not that I'm working on a Hexen map or anything... (NiGHTMARE looks around, sees no-one's watching, and slowly and quietly makes his way out of the room)

I actually will do a Hexen review site when I'm done with Doom. But that will be awhile. :)

Dron said:

Heh you have to much free time

Hmm, that's the comment I always used to get especially at the start of my own reviews. I don't think that reviewing maps is any more waste of time than making new ones because a lot of good maps would be missed if they were never reviewed.

Exellent work on the reviews, keep up the good work! And yes, now that Doom2 and Doom1 maps are being reviewed someone should start with the ports and heretic and hexen levels too.

IT IS SO FUUUUNY TO SAY THE "HEH"! HEH!!! IT'S SO CUTE!!!!

HEHE!!! >:-|

And nobody's too lazy to click a damn link.

And personally I like a little bit longer reviews, not too much babbleing, short and sweet, but still somewhat informative. And preferably a few screenshots to go with it as well.

Well, sorry if you "preferably" screenshots, 'cause I'm too lazy to do that. Besides, geocities isn't exactly fanous for its bandwidth and storage space . . .

I played most of the heretic wads in idgames... there r not much.
And few of them are real good.

Ichor said:

DOOM is much more popular and zdoom technically IS Heretic and Hexen

Grimm said:

Well, sorry if you "preferably" screenshots, 'cause I'm too lazy to do that. Besides, geocities isn't exactly fanous for its bandwidth and storage space . . .

Fuckin with screenshots will just slow you down from completing more of the mini reviews. The review itself should be enough info to warrant a download or not methinks. Anyways keep up the good work.

VinceDSS said:

I played most of the heretic wads in idgames... there r not much.
And few of them are real good.

I found quite a few good ones...enough to make 4 episodes out of. Plus the ready-made ones (that's another 4) and of course mine, too.

Two things Grimm.

1) You should know better than to use geocities.

2) Links to the wads reviewed would be nice.

Other than that, it's pretty cool.

Well what else do you suggest? Geocities was the only one I knew offhand. And I wasn't sure if it's okay to link directly to the archives. Is it?

Most review pages i know does it and Ty Halderman hasn't complained so I assume it is OK.

Besides, you are hardly causing any "Slashdot Effect".

I'm reviewin' 'em all alphabetically, so I'll get to 'em eventually. :)

Right. A linking I shall go . . .

The Ultimate DooMer said:

I found quite a few good ones...enough to make 4 episodes out of. Plus the ready-made ones (that's another 4) and of course mine, too.

Yeah thats not much :)

Grimm said:

I'm reviewin' 'em all alphabetically, so I'll get to 'em eventually. :)

Right. A linking I shall go . . .

Would be a work to do as a team, especially when you see the amount of wads... :=)

Thats would actually be nice to get a short review for each and every wads. I think a team of 7-15 people could do that rather fast.

Reviews could then be updated in doomworld idgames archive.

does it sound as a good idea ?

It is a good idea, but my primary goal is to play through all the levels in the archives. I'm writing the reviews to help out the community as well.

so you'll probably be still playing the files from the archive in 2010 :)

unless you are unemployed and play doom 16h a day and 7 days a week :)

If you dont want to link directly to the wads, link to the doomworld /idgames page for the wad instead, only really stupid twats complain about having to click twice to download a folder in these days of direct-link banning