Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bashe

GenMidi lumps

Is it possible to use different GenMidi lumps for different levels, since (for MUS users) different GenMidi lumps call for different sounding instruments. Can you use a different lump for a different level (via MapInfo, maybe)?

Bashe said:

Is it possible to use different GenMidi lumps for different levels, since (for MUS users) different GenMidi lumps call for different sounding instruments. Can you use a different lump for a different level (via MapInfo, maybe)?

AFAIK no modern port uses the GENMIDI lump anymore so the answer is probably no.

No, ZDoom (with MUS support) does use the GenMidi lump. I tried importing different ones and I saw the difference.

Bashe said:

No, ZDoom (with MUS support) does use the GenMidi lump. I tried importing different ones and I saw the difference.

Arrgh, do you really USE that shitty OPL synth? On any decent modern sound card you should get much more quality out of playing them though Windows' MIDI API. Anything with a decent wave table comes so much closer to the original attempt of these compositions.

FYI, I don't consider OPL emulation a valid means of playing sound! :-P

Trust me, on my old laptop, OPL emulation sounded 2,000,000 times better than the current Midi Synthesizer (believe me, Crystal FM Synthesis is the worst).

Now, it only sounds a little better, but still better.

I know it doesn't sound like the greatest thing, but it beats out some things. Plus, my Synthesizer sounds blurry.

Well, would it be possible to get a different synth, such as Microsoft Wavetable Synth? Like, a download or something? Microsoft Wavetable Synth is good enough for me.

Graf Zahl said:

FYI, I don't consider OPL emulation a valid means of playing sound! :-P

The original DOOM tracks sounded infinitely better in the original MUS format, using the original OPL emulation, than using any stinking MIDI synthesizer or sound font.

dr_st said:

The original DOOM tracks sounded infinitely better in the original MUS format, using the original OPL emulation, than using any stinking MIDI synthesizer or sound font.

A: There is no 'original' MUS format. You can bet that these tracks were composed on a 'real' MIDI system using a good sound font and in MIDI format and then converted to MUS format because the sound library being used was unable to support a standard format that was used everywhere else.
B: OPL has always been a compromise because back then something better was simply unaffordable for the common computer user.
C: Even if Doom used one of the best OPL synthesizers I have ever heard it doesn't come close to the MP2's that are available here on Doomworld (and I consider those the refrerence how the music is supposed to sound.) Fortunately, with ZDoom it's no problem to use those directly in the game.

Bashe said:

Well, would it be possible to get a different synth, such as Microsoft Wavetable Synth? Like, a download or something? Microsoft Wavetable Synth is good enough for me.

It should be possible to use it as the standard MIDI device. I have no problem using it as my playback device but I don't know whether it was installed by my sound card driver, the system itself or DirectX.

dr_st said:

No.

Graf Zahl said:
C: Even if Doom used one of the best OPL synthesizers I have ever heard it doesn't come close to the MP2's that are available here on Doomworld (and I consider those the refrerence how the music is supposed to sound.)

Those MP2s better than Doom2 on a Sound Blaster 16? They don't sound too good really; much less solid than the OPL synthesizer, and that because of its particular vibrancy, especially with DOOM II's optimized GENMIDI. Even on Bobby Prince's DooM MuSIc CD (pardon the lame caps, but that's how it's typed) some of the tracks aren't as evocative as the MUS playback. Some are really nice there, though, like Donna To The Rescue (which has added voices) and Running From Evil. Timidity with a good set of patches beats those particular MP2s hands down. Whenever I want to listen to DOOM music independently of the game I play the CD or MIDIs through Timidity, and only occasionally MP3s (similar to the MP2s but a bit better) because they're easier to access.

myk said:

Those MP2s better than Doom2 on a Sound Blaster 16? They don't sound too good really; much less solid than the OPL synthesizer, and that because of its particular vibrancy, especially with DOOM II's optimized GENMIDI. Even on Bobby Prince's DooM MuSIc CD (pardon the lame caps, but that's how it's typed) some of the tracks aren't as evocative as the MUS playback. Some are really nice there, though, like Donna To The Rescue (which has added voices) and Running From Evil. Timidity with a good set of patches beats those particular MP2s hands down. Whenever I want to listen to DOOM music independently of the game I play the CD or MIDIs through Timidity, and only occasionally MP3s (similar to the MP2s but a bit better) because they're easier to access.

Hear, hear. The Doom.exe hardcore fan speaks. I don't think many will agree with you. Even back then I preferred a GUS. It sounded much better than OPL.

Graf Zahl said:
The Doom.exe hardcore fan speaks.

My pleasure, oh enlightened ZDoom.exe fan.

I don't think many will agree with you.

Aw, no. I can't take that! That would be terrible, I'd be losing the popularity contest here...

But whoa, thanks to your quotage skills of renown I get to have my post read twice in a row. I bet that, at the very least, evens out the score with the weight of sheer and musical repetition.

That said, these patches are pretty cool for DOOM (although TiMidity does use up system resources quite generously,) and obviously also for general MIDI playback.

myk said:

My pleasure, oh enlightened ZDoom.exe fan.

At least ZDoom uses the better graphics and sound capabilities of my computer! :-P

Hey! Hey! I just wanna know if I can get a better synthesizer without changing sound cards. Can I?

If not, Mus all the way (sorry).

I pick my nose 'till it bleeds!

Bashe said:

Hey! Hey! I just wanna know if I can get a better synthesizer without changing sound cards. Can I?

If not, Mus all the way (sorry).

I pick my nose 'till it bleeds!

First you have to tell what system specs you have now. It depends on many stuff.

Well, right now my synthesizer is ESS Audio Wavetable.
My OS is Windows 98.
I'll found out more soon.

Bashe said:

Well, right now my synthesizer is ESS Audio Wavetable.
My OS is Windows 98.
I'll found out more soon.

It could help if you look in the system configuration what MIDI devices are installed on your system and which one is used by default..

Bashe said:

ESS Audio wavetable is my only choice for synth.

If installing a DirectX version with DirectMusic doesn't help I don't know what else...

Darn it! I wanna have a new synth. I have DirectX 9... what else would I need?