Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

[MOD:REL]Counter-Doom EDGE Final DONE--

Yes! It's that EDGE weapons mod with a shitload of crap!

CounterDoom is a weapon mod for EDGE that has practically all 26 weapons (except for flashbangs and smoke grenades) that are featured in CounterStrike 1.6. I worked on this thing for 4 months now. Heh, check it out for some novelty fun.

Screenshots:
http://wip.paci-fist.org/index.php?a=listwads&wad=3

File:
http://max2.tradingsystems.net/bf-cdoom.zip

It's 00:31 here and I need to sleep. I'll post more info later.

(requires EDGE 1.27)

Have Fun

This mod has no muzzle flashes, therefore I cannot play it.

And fp.

Scuba Steve: Action Review

Today I will be reviewing CounterDoom, Blackfishe's Counter Strike DooM. An Introduction for some of you... Blackfish has recreated the entire (almost) Counterstrike library of weaponry for Doom. Blackfish painstakingly took EVERY frame of the weapons animations, and brought them into a doom wad.

The Good:
The weapons are sized and positioned correctly. Booting the game for the first time and firing the weapons almost feels surreal. The animation is incredibly smooth (as it should) and looks very nice in doom... almost too good and out of place. The number of weapons is handled well... randomization of dropped and found weapons means it's possible to find all the guns lying around or dropped by monsters. It's a fun experiment and an interesting novelty as a DooM conversion. The concept of super animated sprites is a first.

The Bad:
For startes, the Conversion weighs in at 30 megs unzipped, 12 compressed... all for just a few guns. Also, there is no correction of the sprites... they are just snapshots. Had there been fewer animations, perhaps the sprites could have been touched up to remove artifacts and some general cleanup for the doom pallette. The biggest problem of all, is that there is just no practical reason for CDoom. As I said previously, the Game is unique and interesting to play, there is no way the wad can become more than just a playful test. It's so large, file size wise, that using it with anything is near impossible.

Granted, one should not rate doom wads by practicality, becuase each author generally makes their project for fun, and not fame. So... on the Scuba Scale of DooM... Five flippers being the highest, a blowfish being the lowest... Scuba Steve gives CDooM

2 Fins and a Snorkel.

Well, I like it. I just wish it weren't for EDGE. Which, I imagine, will be the bulk of the complaints about it.

That said, the weapons are really so incredibly amazingly overpowered it's kind of ridiculous. Except the assault rifles, which are horribly underpowered by comparison, but really, they're about where they should be.

I'd play it if it weren't for EDGE, seeing as how I already have ZDoom, Eternity, and Legacy on my machine and don't care to download anything else.

Awesome, I've been looking forward to the final version. It's surreal playing with such smooth rips of the CS guns. A fine job of a mod, says I.

[18:10] <BlackFish> put it this way, after I release it I'll shut up about it for a while

Im holding you to this.

Assmaster said:

[18:10] <BlackFish> put it this way, after I release it I'll shut up about it for a while

PLEASE GOD LET IT BE TRUE

auxois said:

That said, the weapons are really so incredibly amazingly overpowered it's kind of ridiculous. Except the assault rifles, which are horribly underpowered by comparison, but really, they're about where they should be.

I had a feeling somebody would notice this. I purposly let it this way.

Think about, you want to use 120 bullets (or 2 clips) to fight a baron, or 60?

Also, think of the reload times.

It's bulky at 31mb

Think 60k, times that by 3500, and compress that into a wad. I wish it was smaller too. :-/

BlackFish said:

Think 60k, times that by 3500, and compress that into a wad. I wish it was smaller too. :-/

Therin lies everything I laid out. The idea of smooth animations is interesting, but until you improve the sheer size it's just a novelty.

I gave Grove the same treatment, so CDoom is not exempt. To make the wad practical... maybe even an addon that people would use... you MUST consider the size. There's a tradeoff in visual quality and practicality. You don't NEED 3000 frames for 26 guns. If you cut it down to 1/3 even 1/2 that many frames, it would cut the wad in HALF. They will still be fluent animations, just not rediculously animated. The doom shotgun has 5 frames in between shots... which looks perfectly fine, even adding one or two more to make it smoother would be fine. But I'm sure you have dozens of frames of animations that could do well with 5 or so.

My advice, upload CDoom to newstuff... then release a CDoom lite or something, that has the number of animations cut drastically.

Scuba Steve said:

The concept of super animated sprites is a first.

No it's not. Nick Perrin did it first with MOUAC.

mouac was shit.

take it from the man who made it.

edit: what i mean is, some people really enjoyed it, but i thought it wasn't great. I'm gonna release the slightly edited version (v1.1) soon and that'll be the final release, because i'm working on desert warrior, which is going to ROCK(but be an extremely large download, probably more than 1 wad so it doesn't overload!).

I love MOUAC. BlackFish, this mod kicks ass too. As soon as Edge gets multiplayer support, these'll be the only two wads I host. :P

I love your mod, blackfish!!! It really rocks, only one problem, when I use some of the weapons, it crashes in random places. The message is:

"P_MobjItemRespawn: No such item type!"

This message also happens when I play Earthbound DooM. Any ideas whts wrong with it? Is it either the mod or the source port?

no muzzle flashes, no casings/shells, no weapon kick, all guns can zoom, grenades not silent to enemies, grenade sprites not scaled to size correctly, no enhanced effects of doom save a barrel explosion, much animation and effects stolen from ICD-SE(i'm guessing you got permission?), etc.

this can be very fun, just fix the above because the weapons themselves are VERY VERY GOOD. And once EDGE gets netplay, imagine the possibilities. In fact, you might as well be playing CS!

CS, without the one thing that makes it so terrible (i.e. the CS community). Yes, that would be good :)