Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
999cop

Concern between VB and C++

It has been almost 2 months that school started, and in this year I started taking Visual Basic(vb) course at school. As many of you know about vb is a program that is able to let you to code stuff with some particular computer codes which vb can be read. So far, people in my class sort of start whining about this course cuz' you need to use your brain to think so much and they are sick of it already. It seems pretty complicated and difficult for people to learn generally, and acutally I feel the same too - lifeless...

I don't know some of yall how you think about vb, but definitely I know Toke and fraggle are opposed against vb and prefer c++ more. Due to the bugginess of doomserv occurrs, which is a program coded with vb, I was concerning if it is worth to take this course and learn this holy crap, or would it be better I might just go for c++ instead?

btw, are they the same codes in c++ that you use in vb ? cuz I was wondering if I know about these vb codes already, then I might be able to use them in c++, too. I hope

vb codes:

so far i have learned these types of vb codes

lblmessage
cmddone
optchoice1
msgbox"Hello World"
lblmessage.caption = doomworld
dim b as single
dim b as double
dim b as string
dim b as integer
unload me
intguessnumber

Dude, make a cool source port! One that runs with ALL DOOM ports (even EDGE cause I love EDGE) and make online gaming for all!

Actually I have both VB and C++. From what I have seen, VB is less geared towards games and more towards apps. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I don't have any interrest in programming apps, personally. C++ is the more powerfull language. I personally prefer it, and I think it (C, really) is what Carmack is using for Doom 3. If you are interrested in programming games like me, switch to C++. It's a little harder, but it's fun (IMO).

To answer you question though, the two languages do not use the same syntax. There are some similarities, granted, but it is not the same.

Don't waste your time learning VB. It's an ok language for some purposes, but it's still a waste of time.

On the other hand, if you're a total idiot (programming-wise), VB might be better because it's easier and prettier.

No, C++ doesn't have the same "codes". C++ is _very_ different. I see that most stuff you've learned is about the user interface (buttons and such) -- in C++ it's pretty hard for a beginner to use anything like that (and thus the programs are text-based, running in console window); you have to worry about other things instead.

VB is mostly about communication with the user. C++ is mostly about actually doing something.

If you're gonna learn VB, don't expect to write a good VB program. That's an oximoron.

I use both. To say the truth, C++ beats the hell out of VB for now. I remember the days when C was 6 times faster than Basic. Of course, that's getting smaller and smaller as Basic progresses.

Still, C++ has some pretty shit that VB can't and most probably will never do. But of course, everything comes with a price, cause VC++ for the begginner is about the worst nightmare possible. It even refuses to load the FUCKING OFFICIAL EXAMPLES unless you tweak it a little.

If you're going for apps, but mostly to understand the rules of coding, use VB. If you wanna setup a DirectX application or a OpenGL-based one, go for C++. There's a friggin huge performance boast, result from improper support of these APIs in Basic.

So far Microsoft had made the first steps into making VB an official platform for DirectX.

are they the same codes in c++ that you use in vb ? cuz I was wondering if I know about these vb codes already, then I might be able to use them in c++, too. I hope

rofl.

I growed up with QuickBasic 4.5. I think C is more powerful, but it's hard to learn if you where programming in Basic for almost ten years...

De Zeurkous
-----------

Friggin' Machines!

Visual Basic has a fairly simple interface to work with, and is good for easily creating Windows applications without too much programming knowledge. Yet like Zaldron says, if you want to do some serious development (like a game using Direct3D or OpenGL), you're much better off with Visual C++.

I have been working on an OpenGL 'engine' myself now for a month or so, using Visual C++ 6.0 Standard Edition. I know it's not going to be a Carmack killer, yet I am learning a great deal about C++, OpenGL and the Win32 API.

No, VB code can't just be ported to VC++. You have to consider what type of programs you want to write. If you really want a lot of freedom and power, you'll have to bite trough the learning period you'll need to build up C++ skills - it's as simple as that.

From my forgotten days as a "independent, it's-my-hobby game developer" here's some advice :

GAME = C++
EDITING TOOLS = VBASIC

Hmm, make the decision of what programming language do you want to use depend on what 'problem' do you want to solve.
Be neutral and objective. Is is also possible to mix the languages up (DLL's, OCX's, ...)

If you are a beginner, try to learn the basics first. If you are able to program, theoretic and abstract developement is enough. Later on it will be only a matter of the syntax.

If you ask people for their opinion and they just tell you: This language sucks and that one not, don't give a shit on that because they are idiots and they don't have any foundated knowlege you could profit from.

i use to know how to program in BASIC, but that was about 10 years ago. Why a school taught this to a 8 year old is beyond me, but i was also able to lear binary code too. Damn it takes for ever to make even a simple program in binary. Well as the years have gone by i have forgoten how to program and even the parts of it, also with the help of a bad acident a year ago, now i am forced to relearn programming. I am chooseing C++ because i also want to use LINUX, not a big windows fan, but i love DOS