Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spidercyberdemon

The worst monsters are...

#1-The Spider Mastermind

Oh great, not only does she have a chaingun but she also has 3,000 Health points. I have seen a Spiderdemon kill 2 Cyberdemons (Spiderdemons are extremely strong at close range) before dying to a third one.

#2-The Chaingunner

Same as above-but has only 60 Health points.
Take out the Super-Shotgun, the Shotgun, or the Chaingun for him.

#3-The Archvile

You can't dodge, and you can't run. All the archvile needs to do is to see you. Also, it has the lowest chance of being stunned by enemy fire. And, it resurrects enemies.

#4-The Revenant

All because of the heat-seeking missles which follow you until it hits something.

#5-The Cyberdemon

Despite the fact that cyberdemons have massive rockets, the rockets are easily dodgeable. That is why the cyberdemon is all the way at number 5.

Please reply good strategies on easy ways to defeat these villians.
Also be sure to check out my "What's better than a wad?" page, it has a ton of megawads (and I desperately want more)

Spiderdemon - BFG can be good (one or two balls generally does the trick). Constant fire from the plasma rifle can help prevent the spiderdemon from firing (high pain chance). Run behind obstacles to avoid getting hit.

Chaingunner - The chaingun generally works best, although the shotguns can be effective at close range. If the chaingunner is distant, remain under cover as much as possible. If you have to cross an open space covered by a hard-to-hit chaingunner, run as fast as possible.

Arch-vile - BFG at point blank generally gives a one-hit kill. Otherwise, the plasma rifle, rocket launcher, or SSG are good choices. When you see flames, run behind something - if the arch-vile cannot see you when the attack sequence ends, you will not be harmed. Don't come out from cover until the attack sequence is over, though, or you may still be hit.

Revenant - The seekers are the main thing that makes it dangerous. One trick is to stand near a wall, and when the seeker gets close, quickly sidestep and run forward - the seeker may strike the wall. At close range, you can try standing close to the revenant so that it swings its fist, then run back immediately to avoid the punch. The revenant will waste time punching and you can hit it. BFG or rockets are advisable for large groups, otherwise shotguns, plasma, and even the chaingun can answer.

Cyberdemon - Dodging rockets is the main concern here. Using a hard-hitting weapon like BFG, SSG, or rockets is generally a good idea, but plasma will do. The chaingun isn't such a good idea as it doesn't carry enough ammo to kill the cyberdemon efficiently.

Well, I was to point out monsters I hate:

Revenants - they are definately fun, but not in hundreds, as used in Plutonia (methinks)

Pain Elementals - because the're too fuckin cute for this game. Cacos were cute enough, but Pains? Ant hose sounds. Sweeet :P

Spider Mastermind: Shoot from a distance. His aim is real bad. Hide under cover and use the BFG
Chaingunner: Hide and shoot
Archvile: Hide get him to fight other monsters.
Revenant: Dodge his blasts and super shotgunneth him
Cyberdemon: See some Compet-N demos with good strafing you can kill him with a pistol.

Dron said:

Spider Mastermind: His aim is real bad.

oops, I wouldn't be so sure... Try stopping for a moment on E3M8 "DIS"...

Spidercyberdemon said:

Please reply good strategies on easy ways to defeat these villians.

Darkman-4: No not really

The monsters from the list and their respective weaknesses.

Mastermind: The mastermind has one weakness. It has a short delay before it starts to fire at something where it just stands and looks at you. If you manage to get it in a pain state it all adds up:
The initial pain roar + the short shuffling about + the shooting delay = A nice time window in which to either get out of it's sights or provoke another painstate. This is why charging a mastermind with the plasma gun on full auto is not such a bad idea.

Chaingunner: The chaingunner's primary weakness would be that it belongs to the less sturdy group of enemies. Infighting can quickly reduce their numbers and a few well-aimed rockets can quickly end your grief.

Arch-Vile: While this guy is nasty with it's speed and high pain threshold it does have one glaring weakness. It's attack animation is so slow. If you wield a BFG you will get your shot off before it has finished it's little dance. Otherwise it should be possible to find some cover in the time window unless the wad's author is a sadist.
You can also take advantage of it's resurrecting abilities by tricking it into reanimating some imps while you wail away at it.

Revenant: There is a small weakness about those homing missiles that is nice to know in a tense situation. Their homing on an X-axis is quite keen. Not so on a Y-axis. If revenants barrage you from above you can often just run forward and see their meteors crash into the ground behind you.

The cyberdemon: You already mentioned it. It's shots can be dodged with some average strafing skills. It get's a bit more tense with multiple cybers or at very close ranges, but I have seen people handle multiple cybers at supershotgun range without the aid of cover.

Spidercyberdemon said:
#1-The Spider Mastermind

Oh great, not only does she have a chaingun but she also has 3,000 Health points. I have seen a Spiderdemon kill 2 Cyberdemons (Spiderdemons are extremely strong at close range) before dying to a third one.

The rocket launcher, the plasma rifle and the BFG9000 are weapons of choice here. Stay behind cover and wait for the spider to walk around the corner, then open fire and back away, ready to go further behind cover.
Taking a quick peek around the corner to determine how close the spider is to you is a good idea when using the BFG so that you can better time your attack. Otherwise, if you don't mind taking hits, rush it and keep firing at it when you use the BFG - it dies pretty quickly if you get close to it.

#2-The Chaingunner

Same as above-but has only 60 Health points.
Take out the Super-Shotgun, the Shotgun, or the Chaingun for him.

The chaingun is usually the best weapon against this freak - I often resort to the rocket launcher if he's hiding in some dark, elevated hole in a wall. If he's close by, my choice is always the chaingun or the db shotgun.
But as was said before, stay behind cover and take pot shots if he's within decent range - use the environment to your advantage and stay out of his line of sight (i.e. behind cover) as much as possible.

#3-The Archvile

You can't dodge, and you can't run. All the archvile needs to do is to see you. Also, it has the lowest chance of being stunned by enemy fire. And, it resurrects enemies.

The double barreled shotgun works wonders against it, just wait for it to begin its flame attack, fire, retreat while reloading before the attack sequence reaches its climax (i.e. the explosion sound plays and you get roasted), pop back out at it again and repeat the steps above - he'll be dead pretty soon.
Otherwise, the plasma rifle is good (as long as you use cover and don't get too brave about standing in its line of sight while it's preparing to roast marine ass) and the BFG, if you have it and ammo for it, is the most efficient tool for getting rid of that pesky thing.
Always try to lure the bastard away from larger piles of dead monsters if you can, otherwise, focus your fire on good ol' Archibald (but kill those monsters that become a little too pesky for comfort) :-P

#4-The Revenant

All because of the heat-seeking missles which follow you until it hits something.

You run faster than the heat-seeking missiles. Use that to your advantage to get a solid object - such as a pillar - between you and the rocket. Use cover as much as possible, doubling back whenever it fires at you. If you're out in the open, keep moving while concentrating your fire on the revenant. You can actually outrun the heat-seeking missiles, albeit only gradually - if the revenant fires too many heat-seeking rockets, or if you aren't skilled enough to dodge rockets while firing at a target simultaneously, make a dash for the nearest cover and don't panic! Remember that you're faster than the rockets so you can easily make it for the narrower areas (with cover!) before the rockets.

You can also stay close to walls and make the rockets hit the walls instead, but that takes a bit of skill to do.

#5-The Cyberdemon

Despite the fact that cyberdemons have massive rockets, the rockets are easily dodgeable. That is why the cyberdemon is all the way at number 5.

Duh, shoot him while you keep moving in circles around him. However, in close quarters, it's best to use cover - preferrably in such a way that you have a wall corner between you and it, blocking his rocket arm at all times so that he can't easily get a clear shot at you.

Spiderdemon - 1 or two BFG at point blank range will kill it. With such a wide radius, there's no chance that any of those tracer shots will miss at that range. Also, when he's firing at you, all you need to do is run behind an obstacle for a second, even a small pillar will do (not sprites though), and he will stop firing. Use that chance to get in close.

Another idea is to hide behind a pillar or around a corner, with the Spiderdemon closeby, then just fire the plasma gun or rocket launcher at it when you can just see one of the legs. He's so big, you can see and hit it, but it can't see you.

Chaingun guy - Easy to kill, hard to dodge when he locks on to you. Up close, I usually use the chaingun or shotgun. The super shotgun tends to be a bit wasteful to me, since they usually die in one shot. For small groups, I use the chaingun firing in a spraying or swweping motion to wear all of them down at once, and keep them all from firing on me. Far away, the rocket launcher or plasma gun is quite effective.

Arch-Vile - Like the Spiderdemon, all you need to do is hide behind a corner or pillar to avoid the attack (but he'll continue the attack sequence). When you hide behind something, those flames around you disappear, so you can tell whether you're safe from attack or not. A little known (maybe) fact is that the Arch-Vile can't attack straight up or down. If he's on a tall ledge and there's no cover, go right up to the ledge directly under him and you will avoid the attack. Up close, a super shotgun works well. Once he starts his attack, you have one, maybe two shots before you have to hide. Rockets work especially well. Once he starts the attack, fire four rockets at him and hide. He will remain in the same spot when he's attacking, so the rockets won't miss (unless you're aim is off or something gets in the way). If he isn't dead by now, I just whip out the chaingun or shotgun and finish him off. If I'm in the mood and the room is small with no other monsters around, I use berserk on him. With no melee attack, he can be easily killed with berserk or even the chainsaw.

A fun trick would be to lure one to a large group of dead zombies and kill anything that he resurrects. Since the amount of ammo you receive is greater than the amount of ammo it takes to kill the zombies (except maybe the chaingun guys, but I'd use the shotgun for them), you can get a lot of extra shells and bullets.

Revenant - Two shots from the super shotgun will usually kill him. Even in small groups (around 5 or 6) can be fairly easy to kill if there's enough room to dodge the attacks. If there's only one or two, I'd use the super shotgun, but if there's more, I use the rocket launcher or plasma gun. Dodging the rockets is a bit more challenging. Since they follow you around, you can more or less control where you want them to go. Usually, I'd just get them to smash into a wall. Sometimes I like to have a little fun, and lure them into other enemies. I'd run around, dodging rockets until there's around a dozen or so rockets all bunched up, acting like a single rocket. Then I'd hide behind a rather powerful enemy (maybe a small group), and wait for the rockets to hit. If they don't die, they would surely be mad at the Revenants at this point.

Cyberdemon - Very tough in enclosed spaces because of the explosion damage, but in open areas, they are quite easy (and maybe even easier on Nightmare). A few BFG shots from far away will kill them quickly. However, sometimes you may not have that weapon to use, so the plasma gun will do. The super shotgun may be more effective than the plasma gun because of the much greater chance that you will interrupt his rocket firing, but it takes longer to kill him. If you're moderately good, and the area is fairly open, you can get right up to him and blast him with the super shotgun. Of course, when I'm that close, I'd rather fire a couple of BFG shots to kill him.

OMG, please, not another one of these wretched things! Okay, so this version is a bit creative, but if there's one thing I can't stand, it's the fact that every other days there's a new "best/worst monster" or "best/worst level" or "best megawad" etcetera, etcetera. *sigh*

You know, relating to irritating monsters...

I just finished Scythe, and I don't know whose idea it was to put FIFTY FUCKING BILLION REVENANTS in the wad but fuck them. Grr. Angst is me.

Fun wad, tho - especially the first 15 levels or so. The last 6-7 levels are just "hide behind a wall and shoot things from cover", and I don't really jive with that. Except Fear. Holy crap that level is cool. But I digress.

REVENANTS. D:

auxois said:

I just finished Scythe, and I don't know whose idea it was to put FIFTY FUCKING BILLION REVENANTS in the wad but fuck them. Grr. Angst is me.

Blame that on Erik, he made it :D

Anyway, for me it's probably the revenant. I wouldn't mind them so much if the homing rocket wasn't a part of their arsenal, but it is. Large herds of these damn things are just soooo wrong. It's just not fair to have to dodge a whole squadron of homing rockets, especially when there's no cover around.

The monsters that own me the most often are revenants becoz of their sneaky homing missiles... then maybe cybers in tight areas... and also Chaingunners owning me from very far way so that you cant even hit them (which I consider as a wad editing mistake).

All monsters are pretty good and can all be annoying.
Except maybe pistol dudes, they are wimps :) and can only be annoying in Nightmare! :)
The only use of pistol dudes is to get killed violently, nothing more pleasant than gibbing em with a rocket and see them fly a couple feet away. Berserk punchin' em is very fun too. Mowing 6 of em down with chaingun or plasma in just a second is fun too :)...and ... mmm... a well aligned SSG shot can kill 5 or more of them, always cool :)

VinceDSS said:

and also Chaingunners owning me from very far way so that you cant even hit them (which I consider as a wad editing mistake).

Damn right, lots of monster hitscan attacks coming from a huge distance is inexcusable.

However, I will say that all of the Doom2 monsters are excellent enemies if used correctly.

#1-The Spider Mastermind - You have trouble with these guys? Are you kidding? Masterminds are pushovers. If you have decent range and a little bit of cover to avoid the chaingun, you can take them down with an SSG. Otherwise, just use the plasma rifle and it'll flinch too much to even fire back.

#2-The Chaingunner - These guys are a serious pain in the ass sometimes. Just make sure they're the first thing you take out via chaingun for range, shotgun for close range. Even the chainsaw is effective. ;)

#3-The Archvile - I hate this monster with a passion. When there's groups of heavy monsters (barons, revanents, mancubi, etc.) these guys are annoying as hell. Sometimes they can be useful though. Such as when you're cornered by monsters, use their flame to jump up and run on their heads. :D Otherwise, just blast them with rockets, plasma rifle, or SSG.

#4-The Revenant - In tight spaces, they're tough. In open spaces, they're tough. You have to kill these guys quick or they'll get you with rockets. Chaingun is most effective. It almost literally stuns them.

#5-The Cyberdemon - A cyberdemon is easy when: They're in wide open spaces with no other monsters around. A cyberdemon is tough when: You're in a tight corridor. Rockets, plasma gun, BFG all work well. I've been known to use the SSG to kill them sometimes.

The worst monsters are the demon and spectre. After playing God-knows-how-many SLIGE megawads, I'm sick of them. They're simply boring.

I vote Lost Soul, it's stupid and annoying, all it does is fly into you. I enjoy being hit by a Banshee on Halo more than being hit by a Lost Soul. Atleast when you're hit by a Banshee it's funny.

Spidercyberdemon said:

Also be sure to check out my "What's better than a wad?" page, it has a ton of megawads (and I desperately want more)

He's going to take all the megawads and combine them together to form a mega-megawad that will consume all living things

IMHO, i never thought the spiderdemon to be hard or annoying, it just takes up space and time, now the revenants and pain elementals, those are probably the most annoying.