Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Help Wanted...

Will trade wads for schoolwork. Need reliable, studious person to help me with school work. Will make wads for school help. Apply in person.

Ahem... if there is anyone in the doomworld forums that likes the Homer's "The Iliad" and knows a little about it, perhaps you'd be willing to help me with my analytical paper I need to do on it? In exchange, I will make you a wad to your specifications.

In response to all the impending flames: I'm desparate, I had to try....

...um...dude, I doubt anyone in here enjoys Homer's Illiad. I think I read it once, but it sucked.

it's been a while (10-15 years) since i've read that.

i'll see what i can find. so the illiad and the oddysey? or just the illiad?

[edit]

it's all coming back to me now. i actually liked that book! (ok i'm weird) it's been a while, but i may be able to help. icq me tonite, in about 4-5 hours. i'll be home from school by then.

Hey, one of my favorites!

But, I'm not interested in a custom wad nor in facilitating cheating. When's the assignment due? I suggest you get off Doomworld and start reading.

It's an important book, and it'll do you good to have read it - *many* modern cultural works owe a debt to Homer.

Or you could buy the Cliff's Notes. But you should read it.

Thanks guys. I agree it is a great book. I've only read 5 chapters of the 24 thus far. I am reading the Robert Fitzgerald translation. The assignment is due Thursday, that's two days from today.

Elbryan, what is your ICQ number?

i'll help as much as i can (i loved it, but it has been a long while). it seems like a lot of people want to help. if you're confused about some points i can possibly help you out. i'm not promising anything.

you do have something i didn't have when i took it: the internet. i'll see if i can find some online cliffnotes for you. talk at you tonite.

[edit] Elbryan, just the Iliad I need to read and write on.

Here are some of the topic suggestions I've been given to write on by my professor:

1. Choose one god and one mortal character who have something in common -- Aphrodite and Helen, for example, or Akhilleus (Achilleus) and Ares -- and contrast them. What do their differences say about the nature of gods and men?

2. Choose several extended similes and analyze them closely. How do they reach out to the reader, drawing the world of the heroic age and the world of Homer's audience closer together? In what ways do they contribute to the meaning of the story?

3. What do you think is the source of the "joy of battle" [is this something Homer refers to in the Iliad?] Homer's characters feel? Does home give you any sinsight into the nature of violence and aggressiveness? What modern expressions of the same emotions do we see?

4. Choose a character other than Akhilleus or Hektor (Hector) and show how he either emobides or does not embody heroic qualities Homer appears to admire. (Suggestions: Diomoedes, Dolon, Aias)

5. "Trustful of Zeus's omens and their own right arms" (pg. 289): How do the will of the gods and the motivations of men reinforce each other? Choose one episode to illustrate that Homer's characters, while subject to the will of the gods, are far from helpless puppets.

6. Analyze Agamemnon as a leader. What are his strenghts and weaknesses? To what extent is he responsible for the successes and failures of his army?

7. How does Homer keep in front of us the sorrow and suffering caused by warfare? Analyze one or more of his techniques.

8. Draw some conlcusions about the position of women in the Iliad. To what extent are they property? What rights, responsibilities, and powers do they have? What feelings do men ahve about them? IF you wish, you may make this topic more manageable by focusing on one woman: Helen, Andromahke, Hekabe, etc.

9. Does teh Homeric conception of Zeus have anything at all in common with more familiar modern notions of God? If so, what?

10. Show how the human failings of any one character contrbiute ot his own downfall.

The paper has to be at least 3 double spaced pages. (Gasp)

Well, I'm gonna go read....

Hmm... tough questions... don't know if I can help. Those are asking specifics on the version of the Illiad you were given. Can't remember the specifics. I'll see what I can find.

Maybe Captain Skippy can help more. He seemed to love it, and he's read it much more recently.

...um...dude, I doubt anyone in here enjoys Homer's Illiad. I think I read it once, but it sucked.

For hundreds, nay, thousands of years "The Illiad" has been held up as a classic, even THE classic. It is spoken about in hushed tones in hallowed academic halls. It is fiercely debated in universities throughout the globe, yet you sum it up with "it sucked". I think I'm impressed.

Who'd have thought Homer Simpson could have managed to write such an epic anyway?

The way I heard it, Homer wasn't really Homer in the first place.

doh!

sorry, couldnt resist :)

Sorry about not being online last night Elbryan. Went to sleep at 9:00pm EST - was dead tired. I prolly won't go to bed until 11:00pm EST tonight, and should be home at around 9:00pm until 11:00pm EST. Not sure what time that is GMT time... too lazy to look on the DW clock. Hope to see you on ICQ tonight, though.

I think I am going to write on number 7: "How does Homer keep in front of us the sorrow and suffering caused by warfare? Analyze one or more of his techniques."

Anyone familiar with the Iliad might be able to comment on this?

No worries my fine helping friends. I wrote my paper today, the day it was due, and handed it to Ms. Zuber at 3 O'Clock this afternoon in her office and all was well. My paper ran exactly 1100 words or 5200 characters, just the right length. And considering I have only read about 5 of the 24 chapters, it was pretty good.

Good on you, If I was in THAT situation I woulda
ran away screaming and NOT come back.

Now. That book, It's been a while, but Yes, The Oddysey AND the Illiad are two Very good books.

Now, BBG, you shall regret saying that it sucked.
The whole Literate world shoud hunt you down an impale you on rusty spoons

Anyway........Yes Damn good books. I should read them again.
That reminds me, any Terry Pratchet fans here should read Eric. It's a discworld book, makes fun of that sequence hilariously. Yet doesn't degrade the legend either.