Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LogicDeLuxe

Archive for joke wads

As joke wads became more popular in the last few years, which might have to do with the increasing engine flexibilities of recent port developements, wouldn't a new directory dedicated for those in the idgames archive appropriate? This would help people hating those kind of mods as well as people looking especially for that. It's just a suggestion. What do you think?

It's a good point.
The only problem is who's going to decide whether a specific WAD is a joke one or not?

ellmo said:

The only problem is who's going to decide whether a specific WAD is a joke one or not?

I would say, it's either anounced as such in the txt file, or it is one of those, you actually can't interact at all, like impenc_se for example.
In the first case, the author of the wad should be fair enough to give a hint of course. Well, this might spoil the joke, but on the other hand, a serious player might be very disappointed as well.

Good idea. Some people might download a wad off the id games database not knowing it's a joke wad. Good logic LogicDeLuxe. :)

Somehow I doubt it's going to happen. I mean look at the organization on the archives as it is now. Why are deathmatch wads in the single player directories? Why are Heretic wads in the Doom 1 directories? Why are Team TNT and Memento Mori stuff under themes rather than megawads? Why isn't GoatDoom in graphics or better yet themes/x-rated? Even if there was a new directory for jokewads, the ones already in the "mainstream" directories probably wouldn't move, and new ones would probably still get miscatogorized from time to time.

Good idea. There a tons of joke wads to put there Mock 2, Xaser's wads, supermarket, dwforums 1-3, imp encounter, nuts 1-3, etc.

Too late since all the existing joke wads are already spread out all over the Archive. Additionally, any wad openly released as a joke wad is little more than crap; the only joke wad which amused me somewhat (among the relatively recent releases, that is) is 1337, since many people didn't get that it was a joke till some time passed.

Jokes are jokes; they are said or presented, we laugh a bit, and then move on. They aren't worth telling over and over (or even again in many cases) unless the audience is well-nigh retarded.