Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealthy Ivan

After DooM 3 come's out?

After the release of doom3 I am still going to play original Doom and Doom 2, just because of the fact I like old games. But that is not all, I have always had a thing against new games (like games after 2000) for some reason? I think this is because new games are too realistic and do not have the options for changing the game like doom1/2 do (for example all the ports and TC's out there), which in some ways is really cool, but this realism also take's away some of the fun.
I was wondering how many other doomers out there are going to have to choose between playing doom1/2 and doom3, remember there is only 24 hours in a day! How will you spend them?

I'll judge Doom 3 on its own merits, and view it as a new game. It won't affect my interest in the original Dooms.

I have also been disappointed with a lot of newer games. I tend to get them out of the box, install them, play them for a bit and then ... return to Doom. Dunno, I try to get into them, but by the time the generally lengthy intro and training have finished, I've lost interest, and the novelty of the cool (often very cool) graphics has worn off.

The last games that distracted me from Doom for a while were Half-Life (for about a year) and Unreal Tournament (for about six months).

Heh, i keep tyring tpo get into SoF2, but after i get past the hotel level the novelty wears off, i just love blowing off limbs and making holes in people with shotguns, not shooting at some blob of darkness i can hardly even see in a forest

Stealthy Ivan said:
I think this is because new games are too realistic [/B]

indeed, if people wanted perfect realism, they wouldnt play videogames.
;) but then again a neither a horde of demons occupying mars, an alien invasion at earth's doorstep, nor a manipulator that can move objects is very realistic, is it?

but having said that, I would love to play the original doom, but as soon as halo2 comes out I know wont have time, heck, I prob will never go outside again between the three uber-games, the you know whats, are coming out this year.

Stealthy Ivan said:

but this realism also take's away some of the fun.

How so? About ports they're just to advanced for that. Not saying doom is to unadvanced :)

Stealthy Ivan said:

After Doom 3 comes out?

Everyone will quit coming up with "Doom 3 will be released (insert month) (insert day)" threads and posts ; )

"Everyone will quit coming up with "Doom 3 will be released (insert month) (insert day)" threads and posts ; )"

The skies will turn a fiery red, soot and ashes will rain from the skies, the earths crust will split open and spew molten magma and the four demonic horsemen of the apocalypse will ride the earth again!

I like new games also, if they're good. I like the Dark Forces series as much as Doom, and even though Dark Forces was realesed in 95/96, and the newest, Jedi Academy, was released last year, the games still have the same atmosphere regardless of graphics.

Step 1: Buy doom3
Step 2: Finish doom3
Step 3: Play it until you hate it completely
Step 4: Wait for Quake4
Step 5: Buy Quake4
Step 6: Finish Quake4
Step 7: Play it until you hate it completely
...etc.

Since this will be the first game I will get where the mod tools are actually incorporated into the game, I'll most likely spend some time playing around with those after beating Doom 3 (downloaded level editors tend to fuck up my system or the games they're supposed to edit).

dsm said:

Since this will be the first game I will get where the mod tools are actually incorporated into the game, I'll most likely spend some time playing around with those after beating Doom 3 (downloaded level editors tend to fuck up my system or the games they're supposed to edit).

Likewise.

Dron said:

Step 1: Buy doom3
Step 2: Finish doom3
Step 3: Play it until you hate it completely
Step 4: Wait for Quake4
Step 5: Buy Quake4
Step 6: Finish Quake4
Step 7: Play it until you hate it completely
...etc.

Heh, maybe for you. I probably wont get board of doom3. And if I do, I will go back to classic doom1/2! :)
Quake 4, Oh god, not another one...