Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Night.Keeper

Why i like doom...(Bored)

I never liked old games, but last year in school, at the programing classes we got a teacher that gave us 55minutes out of 90minutes of the class to do whatever we wanted(lucky me) for our surprise quake was installed, since then i started to like quake(and the other id games) but then i played doom2 and comparing each of the 2 i must say, Doom has that sweet "thing" called super shotgun with huge power, Cool animation and that refreshing reload sound(i just love it), and quake shotgun is...weak! ugly! and so badly animated...
Why? was it because frame rate for on-line gaming?(kinda doom for N64) or just id got lazy(dont really believe this one)

Almost, i was just comparing doom to quake(its not my favorite) like i said dont like old games, i am from the new gen of gamers(18 years old)

i dont know if this thread should be locked :P i was just bored and wanted to know your opinion regarding the doom and quake shotgun.

Hmm.. Interesting.

Doom/Quake on a school computer?! That's gotta be something I've never seen before.

Games are absolutely forbidden in any and every computer-esque class, because, according to an idiot librarian, "They clog up the 1's and 0's"

I hate it when people that have no knoledge about computers try and be smart and use stupid words, making them seem smart (to themselves at least).

AgentSpork said:

Hmm.. Interesting.

Doom/Quake on a school computer?! That's gotta be something I've never seen before.

LOL. That's what I was thinking, especially after Columbine and stuff. That is whacked up. I wonder how it got on there......... =D

Sorry, i didnt get it...you mean that people wont let you play at school or the computers cant handle?

Anyway like i said before, my teacher lets us play he is the software operator there(handles Data bases, program instalations, Users and passowords)so hes got no troble

And playing in classes at my school or region isnt that hard.

Nah, the computers in my school run Doom just fine (I've deathmatched with a friend in the library quite a few times), but the librarians didn't seem to like it, and proceeded to use idiotic phrases to make themselves look smart to the average idiot, but really funny/stupid to someone like me.

They, of course, allow people to play music and browse the web, though, but for some reason you can't play even the simplest of games. (Last time I checked you weren't even alloud to play Solitare or Minesweeper, heh.)

chubberz said:

LOL. That's what I was thinking, especially after Columbine and stuff. That is whacked up. I wonder how it got on there......... =D

Heh... We used to install games on our schools computer lab all the time. The teachers never gave a shit as long as the work got done.

Stealthy Ivan said:

Heh... We used to install games on our schools computer lab all the time. The teachers never gave a shit as long as the work got done.

ah. It's not like that where i live. Here our computers only have 64mb ram, P2 Processor, 15 inch monitor, so getting anything installed(and working) on them is a real job.

Then again Doom doesnt require much and their computers could probably run it with ease, but our dumbass computer technician disabled almost everything and has a password if you try to do anything bad like change the BIOS, etc., so im fully out of luck.

=/

That would be cool DM'ing at school though

Bummer dude, the computer's that we used to install doom on were 133 MHz with 16 mb of ram, and the network had almost no security... This was also in 1996 my friend. ;)

i am from the new gen of gamers(18 years old)

Eh? you must have started late, i'm 19 and can remember eagerly anticipating the release of sonic the hedgehog 2, way back in 1992..and was gaming on a BBC micro since about 1989 heh

Err, this is going a bit off-topic(whatever wasnt really a good one) but does anyone knows why id choosed not to include the reload sprite in quake?

deathbringer said:

Eh? you must have started late, i'm 19 and can remember eagerly anticipating the release of sonic the hedgehog 2, way back in 1992..and was gaming on a BBC micro since about 1989 heh

i started playing around 1996 and i still was too young to play with skill, so i didmt care much about games, offcourse i played doom but i prefered adventure games rather than fps and when i started playing fps my first was Unreal this was in 2000.

So technicaly i belong to the new gen of gamers(but yes i was Mega Drive adicted but it didnt had doom or any other fps :P)

Actually, I'm pretty sure Quake had a few sprites for the explosions and those glow ball things. But yeah, the weapons (including shotgun) and such are models, not sprites.

And yes, I must say Quake had the most sucking shotgun I've seen in any game.

Nope, no sprites-- only unimpressive particle effects. But we ARE talking about one of the first 3D games ever, so Quake really didn't need sprites.

Night.Keeper said:

Err, this is going a bit off-topic(whatever wasnt really a good one) but does anyone knows why id choosed not to include the reload sprite in quake?

Too much polygons for the hands, shells and whatnot, I'd think? Remember that at the time a high end system was like 133MHz or something.

In my university (in france), we were allowed to play games. The only limitations were to leave place to people that wanted to work and not to do too much noise, which is I think is normal.

So we tried to spot hours where nobody was in the computer room to do
some quake, doom and duke3d deathmatches.

Naitguolf said:

with 133 you needed to play at 320x200... You needed that Pentium Pro to play higher res (and to be playable)

512x384, P133 and ATI rage pro 8mb was fine. Higher with the UNIVBE driver.

deathbringer said:

and ID didnt put a "reload sprite" in quake because there are no sprites in quake heh

Best reply ever
And there's nothing wrong with the Quake shotgun :)

Dron said:

Best reply ever
And there's nothing wrong with the Quake shotgun :)

... nothing wrong with "Stick Shotgun" you mean.

I was sooo dissapointed with the Quake hud weapon, that i almost no played that game. Only one. Was enough. Nothing can beat DooM (Super)Shotgun hud sprites.

AgentSpork said:

Hmm.. Interesting.

Games are absolutely forbidden in any and every computer-esque class, because, according to an idiot librarian, "They clog up the 1's and 0's"

I hate it when people that have no knoledge about computers try and be smart and use stupid words, making them seem smart (to themselves at least).

I almost got in big trouble for networking doom on computers we were building for resale at school.

Naitguolf said:

... nothing wrong with "Stick Shotgun" you mean.

I was sooo dissapointed with the Quake hud weapon, that i almost no played that game.

"That I almost didn't play the game" you mean. And care to rephrase? If your going to mock the Quake shotgun try to do it right.

I remember when I got my class's computers ( there were four) connected to play some dm once. probably the first, and last, time I'll ever play deathmatch...=(

Csonicgo said:

I remember when I got my class's computers ( there were four) connected to play some dm once. probably the first, and last, time I'll ever play deathmatch...=(

I'm too lazy to post a link for Doom Conncetor-- but it would behoove you to find it on this site.