Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

More Doom Movie Musings

It seems we keep hearing things about a Doom movie, but nothing ever becomes of anything. Our friend fraggle has pointed us to this article, which you'll need a free 14-day trial account to read in full, which talks about, well, here's the only part you probably care about :

[Dave] Callaham's first spec, "Horesemen," was bought by Focus for Radar and Platinum Dunes to produce. He's scripting "Doom" at Warner Bros. for producers John Wells and Lorenzo di Bonaventura, and has a blind script deal at WB to follow. U's Mary Parent and Damien Saccani will supervise the space-station thriller.

Starring Kurt Russell of course, and some dumb jamaiican as the Jar Jar Binks Imp.

Ralphis said:

Rated R? I hope its rated G for good, clean, wholesome family fun

YES no guns, shooting of imps in stomach, chainsaws, demons, dead bodies, how about we name it Commander Keen Movie?

Dron said:

YES no guns, shooting of imps in stomach, chainsaws, demons, dead bodies, how about we name it Commander Keen Movie?

They can't even do that, considering Commander Keen uses a gun.

Damon said:

Starring Kurt Russell of course, and some dumb jamaiican as the Jar Jar Binks Imp.

i think kurt russell would make a good doomguy. he's pretty bad ass as snake in the escape from _______ _______ movies.

I want to say this right now. I'm really not supposed to say much about the film because we're still working on it, but let me at least say this:

It will be rated R, and that's only after my first draft was deemed one of the most violent scripts ever written. I had to tone it DOWN. And this is not going to be a pussy-footed video game movie. My goal from day one was to make a movie that worked on 3 levels:

1) Makes DOOM fans happy
2) Makes ID proud that it carries the DOOM name
3) Is a good movie

I already know the second 2 to be true. I hope that this continued process plays out in such a way as to make you all very pleased with this movie. I'm essentially just trrying to write a movie that I, as a DOOM fan myself, want to see. In other words, if thiss movie wasn't going to kick ass, I'd have gotten my paycheck elsewhere.

-Callaham

-PS: Yes, I AM watching you people...

-PS: Yes, I AM watching you people...

What are you, big brother?

Hey I think I saw you come in to #skulltag on irc.oftc.net about a week ago. Unfortunately you came in during idle time. Please feel free to come back, or join #zdoom or #unidoom on the same network.

#zdoom preferably
So is this mystery poster the real script writer? Speculators, speculate!

You heard it straight from the source, people.
Yes, the man who wrote the script for the Doom movie, who can verify that it is a current existing project much more than this article can, happens to frequent this forum. How lucky. I am ecstatic. Please giv0rz me teh man luv!

Don't even tell me there is going to be some kind of "love figure or romantic conflict/situation" for the doomguy...I'd almost be willing to bet...OMG doomguy saves teh conveniently scantly clad damsel in distress. I can see it now.

To tell you the truth, I don't hold much hope for Doom to be made into a movie really worth watching. I mean c'mon, there is little story. How much dialog could you have? Guns'a'blazing for the whole movie would get old too.

I could see half-life being made into a movie maybe though...

My main hope for the Doom movie is that it doesn't degenerate into cheesy one-liners and endless self-referential jokes.

There is no love story. I assure you of that. It was suggested at various points by various parties, but there is no love story in the DOOM movie. Not even a slight hint at romance whatsoever. It would be completely ridiculous.

Doom 3, it should be noted, is essentially a makeover of Doom. It's close to the same story. That said, the movie is not technically based on either. As several people have mentioned, there's not much story in the games, at least not enough to sustain a decent movie. I think instead gamers will find the movie to be a very faithful yet forward-thinking extension of the DOOM brand. I can't say much more than that, but needless to say there are characters and storylines ON TOP of the excellent violence we all want to see.

-The alleged screenwriter

Quast said:

If nothing else...it better be gory.

The only "gory" parts should be the decor in hell.

Linguica said:

My main hope for the Doom movie is that it doesn't degenerate into cheesy one-liners and endless self-referential jokes.

"I guess you could say that cacodemon flew as well as a lead zepellin; he blows up when he's pumped with lead (ba da bum)!"

I would like Kurt Russell as Doomguy! stingrza, can you do that? ( yeah, I know it's not your job to hire the cast...)

Kurt Russell? HAHAHAHAHAHA. HAHAHA. HA. He's not that bad of an actor, but I don't think he'd fit too well.

stingrza said:

I think instead gamers will find the movie to be a very faithful yet forward-thinking extension of the DOOM brand.

Well, the "no love story" makes it seem you're not following the Doom novels, so that's good. Just don't turn the opposition into aliens.

I think Flynn should have a gratuitious sex scene with Arlene (who's obviously in the movie) and then go kick some alien ass!

EDIT: Ben Afleck should be Doomguy, and Jessica Simpson should be Arlene.

I always saw the doom guy as a bit of an older guy. The HUD face kind of looked like he was in his mid-40s to me. For some reason I kind of thought of William H. Macy as looking like him, but when I told someone that they laughed at me.

Does it really matter who they cast, though? They'll probably be wearing an obscuring helmet most of the movie.

Hyena said:

I always saw the doom guy as a bit of an older guy. The HUD face kind of looked like he was in his mid-40s to me. For some reason I kind of thought of William H. Macy as looking like him, but when I told someone that they laughed at me.

Does it really matter who they cast, though? They'll probably be wearing an obscuring helmet most of the movie.

hey....doomguy does kind of look like william macy. He was really funny in Welcome to Colinwood.