Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hyena

The /newstuff Chronicles #173

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Well, both times I got fp was in other people's newstuffs...so there's plenty of chances to win. Besides, I bet you couldn't log in if the staffer was already logged in as you...so unless you land in that small timeframe between the staffer logging out and someone getting fp, then there's no way you could do it without the staffer double-posting.

In one ear and out the other.

GodCells said:

Look at http://www.chiptune.com/

Lot of great stuff there :).

Well I'll be damned, my ancient Megaman covers chiptune is still up there.

Protip: Get EVERYTHING you can by Beek (chris hamilton) on there.

Ubik said:

Well I'll be damned, my ancient Megaman covers chiptune is still up there.

Protip: Get EVERYTHING you can by Beek (chris hamilton) on there.

I would, if i could savely wget -m the site... thankfully to some obscure cgi thingadoodles i cant -.-

So was Lost Sleep...nowhere near as good as Shitwads (doesn't have the great gameplay of that wad) but totally bonkers in a funny way (and not just for the sake of being like that). Weird to play, too.

ZDoom silly wads rule. (as long as they've got good qualities)

Why does everyone hate pyromaniac so much??? Is it the monster replacements? :P

Xaser said:

Why does everyone hate pyromaniac so much??? Is it the monster replacements? :P

Monster replacements
As far as I was able to tell, not one of them was good.

Weapon replacements
Fist replacement: Not too bad, a little bit lame though.
Chainsaw replacement: An almost-good shotgun.
Pistol replacement: Not good.
Shotgun replacement: Firing a shotgun blast and plasma ball simultaneously is kind of stupid.
Super Shotgun replacement: I'm still not sure what the hell it's supposed to be.
Chaingun replacement: AWESOME
Rocket launcher replacement: A little weird.
Plasma rifle replacement: It's pretty much the same except the projectiles are tiny yellow dots and you get a ridiculous amount of ammo.
BFG replacement: I recognize the flamethrower model Scuba Steve made in a really cool DEH-trick wad. The way it was adapted to this wad is really bad.

You have some really awesome (even if they're meant to be goofy) weapons in Lost Soulsphere, so I know you can do better.

Oh, and I'm going to disagree with UD. Lost Soulsphere was WAY better than Xaser's Shitwad.

Lost Soulsphere sucks. Decorate lump errors do not a fun wad make.

The monster replacement for the Demon in "Pyromaniac" was kick-ass. It's nice to see an enemy in Doom that's actually challenging; one that forces you to think and time your shots if you want to kill it.

Perhaps you guys are jealous you hadn't thought of it first...

Damon said:

Perhaps you guys are jealous you hadn't thought of it first...

Yeah that's probably it.

DooMer 4ever said:

For cool mod music there is modarchive.com
Some chiptunes there too.

EDIT: be sure to check out welcomet.mod at the modarchive if you like chiptunes, it's teh greatest!

Sure that I know TheModArchive! It's a great place about music! I'll look for the song you suggest me...

A plus tard...

Hyena said:

Well, I gave it a mixed review. Some things are good, some things are awful. It was worth playing for a few minutes, but I didn't even bother playing all the way through :p.

Which things in particular? I noticed from the review that you didn't like the dark area, but I really didn't think it was that dark. I know some of the sprites weren't that great, which is why my current project has some better ones.

Hyena said:

You have some really awesome (even if they're meant to be goofy) weapons in Lost Soulsphere, so I know you can do better.

Uh... The weapons just behaved exactly like the normal DOOM2 weapons. They just have new sprites. Oh, well. I give up on making weapon replacements. Nobody ever seems to like them. I'm probably not even going to release another wad until HELLDOOM is finished.

Xaser said:

Oh, well. I give up on making weapon replacements.

Make a SUPER-MEGA weapons dehacked patch with infinite ammo, a billion starting health, etc. So we can all play the upcoming NutsX.wad! And the wad releases weren't as bad as I feared :)

Xaser said:

Uh... The weapons just behaved exactly like the normal DOOM2 weapons. They just have new sprites. Oh, well. I give up on making weapon replacements. Nobody ever seems to like them. I'm probably not even going to release another wad until HELLDOOM is finished.

Wah! But your last 2 were awesomely awesomenistically sweet! You can't give up now!

I'm not really giving up. Wait for HELLDOOM. It will have over 20 new weapons, as well as 55 levels, insane amounts of new monsters, and a couple of tricks not used any any other wad.

Hyena said:

This ain't Doom compatible.
Slut.

Dron said:
Make a SUPER-MEGA weapons dehacked patch with infinite ammo, a billion starting health, etc. So we can all play the upcoming NutsX.wad! And the wad releases weren't as bad as I feared :)

Sadly I do not believe that will be released. But if it is I will release the "nutsmurder" bfg that I created for my self a long time ago:)

myk said:

This ain't Doom compatible.
Slut.

Great. Show me where it says that in the text file for a free cookie.

That's okay, I don't want the cookie, man; my belly's full of better stuff already. I was just adding info there, actually (not sure why you brought up the text file, though.) The abrupt one word termination, of course, was said with as much respect as you wrote your very own one, directed at the exalted audience.

Not Another E1 Wad had been Doom compatible, I believe.

Selfish 4 was fun... the Arch-Vile usage wasn't bad. The ammo might seem scarce at a first glance but you can get ammo with help from the Arch-Viles and by saving once you have the Berserk Pack. The traps seem scary initially but are negotiable.

myk said:

(not sure why you brought up the text file, though.)

If a wad isn't doom-compatible it needs to say so in the text file. I played it in Prboom and had no problems. I rarely use doom.exe and doom2.exe seeing as I have problems running dos programs and can't take screenshots larger than 320x240.