Do you still play Wolfen3D?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still play Wolfen3D?

• Never it sucks cock!
    • No
    • Sometimes
    • Yes
    • YES I LUV IT!

Does anyone here STILL play Wolfenstein 3d or spear of destiny? I don't but im wondering if others here still do

I played them a few years ago to reminisce and that's all I care to do with them. I haven't touched them since and don't plan to. :)

I once saw doom converted to Wolfen3d. That was hilarious and the graphics were ugly as shit. Nothing like doom's brilliant clean graphics.

I bought a Wolfenstein 3D & Spear of Destiny CD at EB Games when I got Sonic Heroes back in January, I played it. :D But I couldn't get music from it, and I was sad.
But I don't tend to play it often, I am usualy busy with other things to play any games, actually. :D

Sure, it was technically advanced back than, but nowadays, it's just a boring game. If I play a game from that time, it's usually a LucasArts adventure.

Also I don't like the way turning is displayed. The point of view seems to be fixed slightly behind you, which gives you the dizzy feeling of always running backwards into something while turning, which I couldn't stand for long.

Another contra is the bad quality of the sampled sounds, mostly at 6000 Hz, so one could understand almost nothing of the spoken text. Even the Sound Blaster Pro could handle 11025 Hz in stereo. A disk more for sound quality wouldn't had hurt.

Yeah, I still play it now and then. I think it's a lot of fun. It's got just about the most basic features you can get in a shooter, but I still think it's pretty fun to mow down HORDES AND HORDES of Nazis with the first ever chaingun, occasionally. :)

LDL:
Another contra is the bad quality of the sampled sounds, mostly at 6000 Hz, so one could understand almost nothing of the spoken text. Even the Sound Blaster Pro could handle 11025 Hz in stereo.

That's because it's in german :-P

I played it last week, t'is a classic and a mould breaker, it was a stepping stone and a benefactor of DooM.
It Kicks Ass. It is an Honorable Veteran. It's like the elderly family member you don't want to put in a home.
Taking its name in vain here is like a priest pissing in the holy water, IMHO.

Janderson said:

It Kicks Ass.

Something tells me you've never heard of Doom, or Quake

I abosolutely love it! I mean of course it is dated now, but for a game from 1992, you'd expect that, but WOLFENSTEIN is a classic, all ID Software X games are classics, and if WOLF 3D wasn't created, I bet yah the FPS games would never even have the right stuff to usually get game of the year awards all the time. Yes, in someways DOOM and QUAKE are better then the old wolf 3d, but wolf3d is a veteran, the ground base for doom, which then basically made people like first person shooters.

m0l0t0v said:

That's because it's in german :-P

LOL. German is my first language, btw.
Also I had to read them in a FAQ, I found some time ago somewhere, just to find out, how bad the grammar is. And I suspect that even there were some wild guesses.
Really, "mein Leben" as it also can be heard in Doom 2, is one of the few, I actually can recognise as German words.
I'm sure, despite the bad grammar, one could understand much more, if it were 11025 Hz, as 6000 Hz limits the bandwidth even below telephony quality which merely covers the really important frequencies.

I still play it - don't give a scrap that it's all mazes as long as the enemies are fun to gun down (and they are!).

German words/phrases I could recognize before finding "translations" online:

"Guten Tag!"
"Mein"
"Schweinhund"
"Eine kleine Amerikaner!" (yes I know the grammar sucks, but at least I understood what he was saying!)
"Donnerwetter!"

:-P

Am I right in thinking that one of the guard's death cries is "mein leiben", which translated as "my love"? If so then that's... uh, quite bizarre :)

NiGHTMARE said:

Am I right in thinking that one of the guard's death cries is "mein leiben", which translated as "my love"? If so then that's... uh, quite bizarre :)

No it means "my life"

PS. 250th post!

Not according to my German->English dictionary, babel fish, google translate, etc. They either have "my love" or "my dear".

Oh BTW it's spelled "lieben", not "leiben". My bad :)

It's "Leben", and it does mean "life".

"lieben" is pronounced differently (if it were an English word, you'd probably write it "leeben").

Grazza said:

"lieben" is pronounced differently (if it were an English word, you'd probably write it "leeben").

Uh, that's exactly how what the guards in Wolf3D say sounds.

Nah, definitely "Leben".

It's closer to the "ai" sound in the English word "pain" than the "ee" in "been".

I once saw a Wolfen3D fansite and it had all the phrases translated to English it was "Mein Leben! = My life!"