Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
funcrusher

An idea: enemies dropping ammo

Could, in FreeD(sideways 8 infinity sign thingy)M or whatever this project is being called, the enemy ammo drop be altered?

I always thought that the revenant (or whatever the equivalent will be) should drop a single rocket. same goes for spiders and plasma rifles (only once it a great while). You wouldn't have to stop there either, chainers could randomly drop clips, boxes of ammo and chain guns. Or armor (once in a great while).

Could this kind of thing be altered with scripting of DeH?

Those ideas may be great for a source port or something, but with Freedoom, the idea is to try to stay true to the original game, and adding something like that would just be too much of a change. Furthermore, I don't think you can do that kind of stuff in Dehacked, and it has to be Boom-compatible, if I'm not mistaken (at least the levels are Boom-compatible). Also, I'm not sure if there would even be a Dehacked patch, because it would be kind of lame to have to load the patch up everytime you play, and if I remember correctly, level names won't even change. Of course, I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the answer is no.

Furthermore, I don't think you can do that kind of stuff in Dehacked.

Yeah, actually you can. I changed troopers so that instead of dropping an ammo clip, they spawned a transparent walk-through-walls ghost of themselves which could attack you but was invincible.

Well, that's easy, all you have to do is change the properties of the ammo clip so that they match those of the trooper, and then set semi-invisibility, no clipping, and invincibility on. I was talking about things he suggested, like creatures occasionally dropping extra items, or monsters that don't normally drop items to drop items. You definitely can't make a monster drop an item "sometimes", and you can't make extra monsters drop items without it affecting the original monsters that drop items. Therefore, I stand by my original statement until you can prove me otherwise, which would require you to be a Dehacked God, and even then, I don't see how it could be done. Actually, now that I think about it, if you made one monster drop another monster's weapon during the splatter frames, and make the original monster not drop anything (or something like that), and change the ammo to something like armor, you could do it, but it would be a bit of a stretch, and I don't really think it would work too well, since you would get the special item every time you splattered the monster, and not randomly.

Yeah, actually you can. I changed troopers so that instead of dropping an ammo clip, they spawned a transparent walk-through-walls ghost of themselves which could attack you but was invincible.

Anywhere I could download this and check it out?

Anywhere I could download this and check it out?

It's from an old 1-level TC I made back in 1996, I never released it. I may release it one of these days.

We will probably include a dehacked patch to change the level names and to do various similar cosmetic things, but its pretty much agreed that we wont alter the game itself.