Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bookworm87

converting music types.

hi. whats up. kay. i finally figured out how to add music and textures to my wad file using wintex. the thing is though. it needs the music to be in .mus format. i only have .wav and .mp3 format music. i was wondering if there was a program out there that converts music from one format to another. specifically from .ra or .mp3 format to .mus format. thanks in advance

To add mp3 music to a wad, you have to change the extention from mp3 to lmp, but first make a copy of the mp3 in case things screw up. Rename the file from *.mp3 to *.lmp and insert the file with Wintex by selecting data entry and load it in the wad as a colormap or whatever. When it's successfully inserted, rename the entry to the name of the music entry you want to replace (D_RUNNIN assuming it's map01's music you want replaced for example).

As for converting midis to mus format, you can get the midi-to-mus converter for Wintex in the editing utilities section here. Just put it in the same directory where Wintex is.

there is no midi to mus converter in the utilities section. i searched. and also as for inserting .lmp files in. im using wintex4.3. your explanation made no sense cause there is no data insert thing.

First, unzip it and put it in the Wintex directory. Then open wintex.ini and add this if it's not already there (if it is, just ignore it):

[Extern]
Midi2Mus=midi2mus %MIDI%
After that, anytime you want to add it, the program should run automatically.

The only trouble with midi2mus is that it doesn't like big files (don't know what the size limit is though). If you normally play with a source port, then it might support midi's in the wad directly (as well as mp3's).

The Ultimate DooMer said:

The only trouble with midi2mus is that it doesn't like big files (don't know what the size limit is though).

Note that it's a problem with the MUS format and not with the program in partiucular.

The exact size limit is 65536 bytes for the output .mus file.

bookworm87 said:

there is no midi to mus converter in the utilities section. i searched. and also as for inserting .lmp files in. im using wintex4.3. your explanation made no sense cause there is no data insert thing.

I was trying to remember the steps by memory since I haven't inserted mp3s in a wad in a while, much less have access to Wintex at the moment. I tried, but apparently it didn't work out. One thing I am sure of is that there should be a data lump entry mode. If I still failed, I'm sure someone else who has access to Wintex will be able to tell you better than I tried...by memory.

As for that midi to mus converter not being there, I don't know what's up with that. I could have sworn I saw it the last time I checked. Use Ichor's link.

Uh, midi2mus should come with Wintex anyway...

BTW as for converting an .mp3 to a .mus, that's basically like asking if you can turn an apple into an orange :P (i.e. it can't be done). However, you can convert .mus into an .mp3, though you'd probably have to convert it to .mid first (not to mention that unless you're using a custom soundfont or have a soundcard with the best midi capability in the world, there's no point).

okay. ive got my music now. just found a webpage with downloadable midi files of the music i wanted and then converted it. now. i wanna insert my own sounds. I know how. already got some to work. but with some i get the error that its not 8 bit wave file. so. is there anything out there that can convert sounds to 8 bit waves

The sound recorder that comes with windows can do that. (assuming the files you want to alter are wavs already)

If you have a creative sound card, you get Creative Wave Studio, sometimes. You may have to install it off one of your installation disks, if it's not there. Or maybe it's just my Sound Blaster Live! card, from 2 years ago. I dunno :P

bookworm87 said:

okay. ive got my music now. just found a webpage with downloadable midi files of the music i wanted and then converted it. now. i wanna insert my own sounds. I know how. already got some to work. but with some i get the error that its not 8 bit wave file. so. is there anything out there that can convert sounds to 8 bit waves

DeePsea F7-Import can take 16bit (also can be stereo) and convert to single channel 8 bit. Click Options and enable SND, which will convert to DOOM single channel sounds (default is for Ports which can use better quality WAV files). sbsoftware.com

There are plenty of good converters for free or shareware. Try Winamp's diskwriter for example! This way, you are able to convert to wav if necessary at the same time. In case you have to resample, use quality software like this: http://sr-convert.sourceforge.net/
(Many software including Winamp do a very poor job in resampling as they don't even apply an appropriate low pass filter with a narrow roll off.)
However, you shouldn't resample if your mod is for a port only, which supports your target frequency.

No offense, but there are a million "convert mp3 to mid/mus" threads and people still don't seem to understand that these 2 formats are as different to each other as chickens are to road signs, and you can't convert a chicken to a road sign, or the other way around, without a great deal of work (ie. it's virtually impossible).

What you can do though (which was probably also mentioned in this thread) is put the mp3 inside the wad. Ports like Edge and Jdoom can play mp3 files directly, they don't need to be mid/mus.

EvisceratoR said:

No offense, but there are a million "convert mp3 to mid/mus" threads and people still don't seem to understand that these 2 formats are as different to each other as chickens are to road signs, and you can't convert a chicken to a road sign, or the other way around, without a great deal of work (ie. it's virtually impossible).

What you can do though (which was probably also mentioned in this thread) is put the mp3 inside the wad. Ports like Edge and Jdoom can play mp3 files directly, they don't need to be mid/mus.

EDGE apparently has removed MP3 support in the latest version. But all the other major ports (JDoom, ZDoom and Legacy) can handle it.

And you can convert MIDI's to WAVs. I have done that using WinAmp but for Doom it's rather useless.

Anyway, unless you map for Doom2.exe you can as easily put MIDI's directly into the WAD instead of converting them to MUS. AFAIK every source port out there supports them. I have discovered several MIDI's that lost some information in the conversion.

EvisceratoR said:

No offense, but there are a million "convert mp3 to mid/mus" threads

Then, there should be a "MIDI/MUS are not WAV/MP3"-thread pinned so it gets attention to every newbie.

Besides such converters, do exist in fact, they are merely an experimental attempt to convert them, with a result you don't really want to listen to.
I have no bookmarks for them, so you are on you own if you really want to try this out. As said, don't expect something even remotely spectacular from them!

...and this is exactly the reason why notes and tabs exist, because some computer program can't hear, by itself, what instruments, notes etc. there are in an mp3 file...

I suggest getting Goldwave. It can convert between any wav like format to any wav like format, and if you ever need to edit sounds for your WAD, it's a good sound editing program as well.

And by the way, if you use ZDoom, you can store your sound effects (not just music) in ogg vorbis (It's like MP3, except the LAME MP3 encoder that Goldwave uses likes to put in 'pops' at the begining and end of files, and ogg doesn't seem to do that for me. Plus, ogg is open source, so it's obviously equivilent to jesus lol) format and save a ton of space </personalexperience>

EvisceratoR said:

Yeah, but afaik, Edge will have Mp3 support in the next version.

you mean Ogg, right?

I think ZDoom has the best approach (to use an external library that supports any music format out there.) I really like the option of using MODs in Doom WADs.