• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Metro

Doom3 on DVD?

I have pre ordered Doom3 and would like to know if It will be on DVD or on CD's

Will there be a DVD version?

Thanks.

Yes, it will. id won't let themselves be out-done by UT2004.

Todd Hollenshead said:

You know, there's just not enough of an adoption rate. And then there's also economic [problems]. It's actually cheaper to ship on four CDs than you can on one DVD, and then there's the replicator issue of building the DVD masters. The cost factor [for incremental updates] becomes and issue. We haven't planned on it being a DVD-based game.

http://www.itnews.com.au/storycontent.asp?ID=10&Art_ID=18332

Job said:

Yes, it will. id won't let themselves be out-done by UT2004.

Yeah except that there's a lot of issues with the DVD version of UT2k4. Many people can't install it correctly...

That's why I orderd the CD one :D

--Kintaro-- said:

Yeah except that there's a lot of issues with the DVD version of UT2k4. Many people can't install it correctly...

And a lot of people have too few of 1 cd out of 5 and too many of another.

There are issues with UT2K4's packaging, period.

Blame Atari, heh. Epic is moving their publisher to Microsoft (Unreal Championship 2).

I got my package in good condition. My ut2003 came with an orange manual.

(Doom3 needs a neon green manual :D)

edit: And what's really sad is their forums.

I got the UT2k4 dvd version. It installed fine, but the game wouldn't run. I (and many, many others apparently) had to get a nocd crack just to play it. The bonus dvd doesn't work properly though.

Oh yeah, the headset that came with it is crap. I can't figure out how to wear it. Bah, I got a better one anyway.

Well, my normal pair simply sits on top of my head. No fancy-ass tricks.

I'll depend on how "BIG" a game D3 is. UT'04 is such a monster of a game it was 6 disks, 100 maps,indoor and very large outdoor, 10 player modes. SHHIIIT! it was only fitting they'd transform it onto a DVD.

We still don't know EXACTLY how big doom3 gonna be. Other than it's OUTSTANDING graphics and limited modes......

Tsar,

I once tried to play my DBZ DVD in my computer CD-ROM drive, it completely froze my D Drive from responding or opening, I had to forcefully try and poke at the little hole to get it open...Until I realized that if I rebooted, it would open easily. :D

tsareppsun said:

I'll depend on how "BIG" a game D3 is.

Considering how almost every texture is made up out of a diffuse map, a normal map and a specular map, the surface maps alone are going to take up tons of space. Add to that all the sound effects, the levels themselves and all of the high-detail animated models, and 4 CD's seems like a pretty good guess.

tsareppsun said:

We still don't know EXACTLY how big doom3 gonna be. Other than it's OUTSTANDING graphics and limited modes......

DOOM III alpha is about 1.1G
DOOM III beta 1 anyone ?
DOOM III beta 2 is about 1.3G

I guess the final could go about 2 - 2.5G... or not

The_Tonx There was no beta 1,2,x...

Its only Alfa Tech demo from E3(2002) whit some custom maps. And some idiot calling it beta.

And iD alredy said it will be on 4 CDs

Actually, I believe that German games magazine article stated Doom3 would be at least 4 CDs long. I do not recall any time Todd Hollenshead or John Carmack stated "Doom 3 will ship on 4 CDs."

But that doesn't mean it wasn't said, as I only have internet access at school. Care to point me to a [reliable] source stating the above?

i am sure they will do both in the long run. however i am sure CD's will be the first release.
however after a few months i am sure a DVD version will be released

Dont have url anymore but it was on some sites about NVIDIA and Todd show some doom3 stuff like 6 months back.

Over lunch, Jen-Hsun and Todd discussed the current state of the graphics card industry and where things were heading as we looked towards the future. Here, each identified the trend that both R&D budgets and lead times would be increasing dramatically as the technology and games become more and more complex. Todd then went on to discuss some of the most interesting aspects of Doom3. Although no release date was provided (albeit he did hint that it was at least four months away), he confirmed that Doom3’s installation size would likely exceed 3GB. In addition, the game would be locked with a hard-coded 60fps ceiling. Given how taxing this engine has proven to be in the early glimpses we have seen, that limit will still be difficult to reach by most hardware. Speaking of hardware, Todd informed the audience that the development platforms for Doom3 were all using GeForce FX graphics cards. This should erase any doubts of NVIDIA cards and their ability to run Doom3.

http://www.itnews.com.au/storycontent.asp?ID=10&Art_ID=18332

As for the other huge title scheduled for this year, id software's Doom 3, Atomic had a chance to sit down last year with CEO Todd Hollenshead and lead designer Tim Willits. We asked them about how the game was to be distributed. Doom 3 is set to ship on at least two CD-ROMs, but most likely four discs.

And i think that there were 1 or 2 more but theres too many of doom3 articles to go over all.

--Kintaro-- said:

I never had any problems with my UT2k4 DVD, and I have an old computer. I say, let Doom 3 be on DVD, anyone who doesn't have a DVD drive should have upgraded by now anyway.

Apparently 90 percent of games that ship on DVD-ROM get returned to the store of origin. The anecdotal reason? That uneducated consumers return the products when they fail to play in their home DVD-player.

My, how completely stupid these people are.

This should solve everything. id should just do what UT'04 done. Release two versions.

"DOOM3"
4 CD's for CD-ROM drives
1 DVD for DVD-ROM drives

But now that I thought on it. That will be just a hassel for id, DVD drives is going to FULLY replace the CD drives anyway and are getting cheaper by the months, So JUST PUT D3 on DVD and be done with it.

Tsar,

Those of you still without DVD rom drives really should get one. You can get one of lite-ons best (XJ-HD166s) at newegg.com for like 32 bucks (unless they changed the price). 32 bucks for like the best dvd rom drive (48x/16X) and it can read in +96 mode and several other things (as far as clonecd goes it has a two sheep rating). Only thing weird about it is the sand bag sound it makes when it first spins up (it goes away after it recognizes the disc) but it's there for some reason that has to do with absorbing all the vibration and noise which in turn makes it a very quiet drive (compared to others. It doesn't even vibrate it just makes alot of wind sound) when at full speed. With mine I've reached up to 16.4X DVD rips (single layered dvd's)using dvd decrypter when I'm gonna encode a divx video. On cloneCD it usually goes past 51X when I copy a disc larger than 670 MB (it practically always goes past the 48X rated speed on anything thats 74 minutes-650 mb or more)and not only on data discs but on Music Cd's too (I made a backup of unreal 2003 that works just like the real thing using this DVD rom drive to read the play disc. Clone CD+this Drive kick ass. Alcohol kicks ass too but I think they emulate the protections even when your drive can read em just fine.). If they come out with a DVD version of Doom 3 later on I'm gonna have to get that verison too.

They first released the original doom on 4 disks (i still have em in working condition also :D) but then later when CD's were more popular, a CD version came out, this will happen with doom 3 as well dont worry :)