Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shamino

Will we see the marine's face on the bottom of the screen?

I don't know the answer to this question because I have never played the alpha nor have I heard anyone talk about it, but I certainly hope it's there. I liked how he (in DOOM) was still able to smile with missing teeth and his mouth filled with blood after picking up a BFG.

From the preview at the doom3 site the head is not there. The hub has all we need such as health and ammo. I really doubt that they will put the face in the final game and I wouldn't want to see it anyway.

Considering it's in none of the screenshots that've been released for the last few years, probably not.

Really? no face in DooM3? that sucks. I have always liked the status face, its really sweet looking. the most recent game I can think of to have a face is RtCW:Enemy Territory(it was a 3D model too). Man, I would love to see the face in DooM3. Oh well...

Perhaps an option or an 'easteregg' or however they are called? It would be neato to see it done either with the game or by a mod(not erator). :D

DOOM Anomaly said:

Perhaps an option or an 'easteregg' or however they are called?

Having it as a hidden option would sure be cool, and I´ m sure people would love it! At least those who played the original Dooms.

If they do it (or if later a mod adds it), how should it be realized? I wouldnt make it a floating head like in Q3, but like a projection of the player head inside a rectangular mini screen in the middle of the HUD.

Darkstalker said:

The hub

Heads-Up Display (HUD).

Perhaps an option or an 'easteregg' or however they are called? :D

They did it for RTCW. Setting cg_uselessNostalgia to 1 (/cg_uselessNostalgia "1" in console) makes the old Wolfenstein 3d hud come up

Psyonisis said:

It would be cool if they did... it would provide at least some nostalgia.

Ya, especially since nothing else about the game so far invokes any nostalgia. Hopefully once it comes out it'll prove to be decidedly more "DooM" than what it appears now.

I don't really care anymore - and I doubt it's in, since Doom 3 is totally new game using the Doom concept and name.

BBG said:

Mod one in?

You speak as if it's a piece of cake to do that. Sure, it's possible and a lot easier than doing other things, but it would be better and cooler if Id did it themselves. They have a professional animator at least.

I alwasy like the way the marine's face was acting even if completely smashed, while picking BFG or while firing continuously.
That would sure be cool to have that in Doom3, but I am sure Id does not give shit about it.

DaJuice said:

nothing else about the game so far invokes any nostalgia.

um, what about the UAC logos? The hex-tiled floors? The weapons, the monsters? The whole setting?

I agree that nothing about the game invokes any nostalgia. The UAC logo doesn't because it was completely redesigned. The weapons and monsters are far more Quake-like and Half-Life-like, respectively. The whole setting? That's a little more uncertain.

Zoost said:

Heads-Up Display (HUD).
They did it for RTCW. Setting cg_uselessNostalgia to 1 (/cg_uselessNostalgia "1" in console) makes the old Wolfenstein 3d hud come up

cool! I gotta remember that.

Tetzlaff said:

um, what about the UAC logos? The hex-tiled floors? The weapons, the monsters? The whole setting?

I really don't care about the UAC logo, or the floors, that kinda stuff doesn't do it for me. As for the monsters, only the rev resembles the original, but I always hated the rev so fuck him. Weapons don't have to be like the originals for me as long as there's more than just 7 or 8 (wtf is that all about? id needs to go play some turok) and they don't sound whimpy, and don't take up the whole bottom right quarter of the screen. The setting...remains to be seen how much DooM flavor the designs will show.

Zoost said:

Or to be more precise, it makes a blurry screenshot of the hud come up over your proper hud.

Zoost said:

Yeah but it was indeed useless - just a still "screenshot" of the old hud that didn't display how much ammo and health you had and the face was not animated.
And it was only in the MP mode.

Should Id incorporate such an old-school Doom hud easter egg cheat, they had better make it a *tad* more interesting, not to mention useful.

I hope that the maribnes face isn't on the screen... that would give the game a too cartoony feel.... I think that it should show other things... such as some diffrent collor booarders..

DaJuice said:

The setting...remains to be seen how much DooM flavor the designs will show.

This is an interesting point, because the highly detailed base sections we´ve seen in Doom3, or even the parts with Mars terrain, are so different from the architecture in the original Doom. The architecture in Doom was of course plain, but the rooms and layouts had some very interesting and characteristic shapes. So, to create some déja vu effect, there should be some designs in Doom3, where the walls show relatively simple concrete or steel designs with textures resembling those in Doom. After all, the features of the new engine don´t force the level designers to cram an overload of pipes and stuff on every wall.