Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Burst of compet-n activity

Compet-n has been a bit quiet lately, but there are lots of new demos in incoming at the moment - about 26 from the last five days.

Includes a lot of coop by Vince and Xit, several Doom2 NM100S runs by Radek, and some good pwad action from Eugene Kapustin and Altima. I was especially happy to see Eugene attacking some much-neglected MM2 maps.

expect some good action from Xit and Vince... especially if they stop those crazy tysons...
I'm waiting on some files from Xit, then I'll upload some 3-player misc stuff. :)

Those Coop Tysons rule! I particularly enjoyed ct08-832.lmp.

Maybe I've got Tyson on the brain at the moment though - most of my recording attempts lately have been Vile Flesh map02 Tyson (best so far: killed by the last caco :( ).

Glad you liked some of our tysons :-)

I am not a great fan of it, but some maps are rather OK and fun to play. Xit has to insist to put me on :)

Grazza said:

Compet-n has been a bit quiet lately, but there are lots of new demos in incoming at the moment - about 26 from the last five days.

I wouldn't call this a "burst", compared with the activity in the last years (til spring 2003, when Anders, Vile, AdamW and Xit stopped recording for C-N :(

And a lot is coop stuff, which is ok (some demos are very nice), but I like "normal" C-N demos much more. No offense vs Vince and Xit, or other coop players, but SP demos, for example Sedlo's or Ocelot's actual runs, are more fascinating. When I watch a coop demo, I always feel like I've missed something, even if I watch it a second or third time or change the player view.

Overall is the situation still disappointing, compared with the past. I don't know, if more updates (not only Compet-N, what about DSDA, Doug?) would change anything. Or more contests. A contest often brings a new player with it (e.g. this was the case with me :)

But I don't want to sound too negative. Even in a time with much more activity a demo like pl24-017 was rare. It's godlike. It always saves the day. It shines over everything I've seen this year :)))

What's complaining from a spectator's perspective worth? People record because they like to, what they like, and when they have the time and disposition.

Furthermore, there's been a lot of Single Player stuff going on; including, but not limited to, demos by ocelot and Sedlo, as well as a lot of kickass stuff by Radek. Not to mention all the demo pack activity (where AdamW showed up with his spanking new Doom2 on Linux.)

Plus Cooperative is very cool, since it's something that's much harder to coordinate that Single Player, where you can sit down by yourself and work regularly on the demo in question.

Vile and Anders already recorded their COMPET-N stuff, and it's there to be watched again when there is time to do so.

myk said:

Plus Cooperative is very cool, since it's something that's much harder to coordinate that Single Player, where you can sit down by yourself and work regularly on the demo in question.

Yeah that's right on the spot, coop demos actually needs 2 players to meet. So they can be done only when the players are available... Unless you live in the same region - let's say 10 miles of each other - you don't meet very often.
Another point is that, obviously 2 players are in the map. So twice more chances to fuck up the run. Most of the times, when a player has a very good run, the other one is so-so or crap. I'd say excellent coop demos take a long long time to do. And trying to go for an optimal is hugely time consuming... prolly a day of playing on a single map is needed for that. Thats rather annoying in coop since you often end up putting the blame on the other guy if it fucks up, and it starts to get boring.
Since I meet xit a day only every 2 week (9h of gaming) we try to pull out good demos for speedruns, not overly optimized tho since we want diversity for our limited time.
In solo if it fucks up it's 100% your fault, and you can keep on going as long as you want, you won't bother anybody since you are alone.

Maybe we should start working on some optimals... well see... 1st we have to complete this Doom2 max run (should be below 1h25). And maybe go for some nm100s movies and single maps too.

myk said:

What's complaining from a spectator's perspective worth?

Nothing, so I just recorded a demo (for Vile Flesh) myself.

I said nothing about the demo or player quality itself. I know I would suck totally when trying coop, which I've never done yet (shame on me).

I really LIKE coop demos, but sometimes I feel lost when I don't know what the other player(s) are doing, especially in long runs.
Next week I'm getting new spectacles, perhaps this makes some things easier for me. :)

Angus Thermopyle said:

I know I would suck totally when trying coop, which I've never done yet (shame on me).

Hey, don't say, anybody that can do solo demos can do coops of an even quality :)
If you have a buddy that still plays doom (or do not mind to go back to it), try to meet him and produce some cool stuff for the compet-n and for SDA :)
Lots of holes in the tables for doom1 and doom2. Pwads and Final Doom are almost pristine.

I have a remark about Plutonia and tnt map28, some maps are merely undoable in coop due to the nasty placement of some cybies and other monstres. I'd be for making some fixes for some of the maps, because they are not even funny... just try pl22 and ev28 in coop for a nasty example of unplayability.

Heh, I still remember my first ever coop game via modem... We started on TNT Map01 and after two minutes or so couldn't believe it when we saw a cyber outside. Soon he killed me and I quit the game, not knowing that I should press the spacebar :)

Ev01 is actually very playable in coop, it has a couple coop max demos at the C-N.

EV28 is another story, you start with no health surrounded by 4 arch viles and other monsters. There are also 4 pits you can jump in : in solo you have nothing but teleporters, but in coop you have 1 cyber per pit and not really enough ammo to kill them.

PL22, in the slime room - with all chainies - leading to the blue key.
1st : you have 2 cybers there, would be possible to deal with em if there were not the other guys.
2nd : 1 archvile in each nukefalls => 6 archviles
3rd : a baron blocks the blue key and you have nothing to take him out quick
4th : right after the blue, the room is full of barons
5th : after the barons, the teleporter is blocked by another baron
6th : no big weapons, no big health bonus before that part of the map

That just plainly sux... these maps are not likely going to be done in coop. The creators just focused on solo play, making coop ridiculously hard and annoying in some maps.

Compet-n has been updated. If you haven't been keeping up to date with the /incoming folder, then there is a massive feast of stuff to watch (more than six months' worth). There's also news of the Golden Cybers.