Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Making new textures

when replacing textures in doom using XWE -do you replace the whole texture? Or just patches? How does this work?

I tried replacing two pipewall patches, (the light half of the texture and the darker half) but when I loaded the wad, the textures weren't different. I've gotten other textures to replace just fine. But now I am wondering just what am I replacing? IT's not the same as picking textures out of doom from the doom editor (like browngrn and brown96 and pipe4) - so am I replacing patches or textures? What's the deal here?

I've been using IrfanView. A little file viewer prog that does some graphic editing too - all these effects you can do to images - if you do em just right - you can make sick textures. I encourage all to dapple. The best effects are adjusting gamma, saturation, oil paint when used just a the right point in the image tweaking process (I made a flower pattern out of ashwall3 using oil paint - don't ask me how - it was like the push of a button and voila) I've made nasty seriously oozing green toxic radiation like x-files pipewall texture mods. Next up I'm gonna tweak some normal images, like the picture of an orange cat on blue background

anyway, if someone could answer the original question about texture vs. patch replacement using XWE - what it does - what's going on - i'd appreciate it mucho - gracias.

Textures are simply an arrangement of patches - and are contained in the texture1 lump only. Patches are the actual graphics used to make the textures, so it's patches you need to replace.

The patches often have different names to the textures, so to replace an existing texture, add your graphic(s) and rename it/them to the name(s) of the patch(es) you're replacing.

To replace a multi-patch texture with a single patch, you'd have to edit the texture itself, so it is made up of your single patch instead of the old ones.

I sorta understand... I'm using XWE not WinTex... so the way I've been doing it is copying a graphic entry (patch, I guess) from doom2.wad, pasting it into a newly created wad, and then replacing the patch with my texture that I made (a .bmp file) into the wad.

Here is my problem. If I make a 256x128 texture, I have to replace a patch of the same dimensions in order for my entire texture to show up in doom. There are not that many 256x128 patches in the doom2.wad. Most of the 256 textures in Doom2, like the pipes with bullet holes in them in the very first room of MAP01 are made up of two 128x128 patches. So I take it this means I have to split my 256x128 texture into two 128x128 .bmp files and then replace the patches in the doom2.wad to make up the full texture? Kind of a hassle. Is there any way around this?

edit: I meant map01, not map02

You can make a new texture out of your patch instead of replacing one, you know. (I don't recall offhand exactly how to do it in XWE, I seem to recall it being pretty easy though, right-click -> "add to texture" or something like that?)

Draconio said:

You can make a new texture out of your patch instead of replacing one, you know. (I don't recall offhand exactly how to do it in XWE, I seem to recall it being pretty easy though, right-click -> "add to texture" or something like that?)

What are the benefits of doing this opposed to my method? What I really want to be able to do is take my 256 wide textures and replace them onto 64 wide textures and have it work. But tell me what you had in mind with your method.

UPDATE: So wait (sorry, gears in my head only turn so slow...) what you're saying is I can edit the patches in the Doom2.wad? Are you saying I can, in effect (to how I understand things at the moment) "replace" a 64 wide patch or texture (like the browngrn texture I use in all my maps) with a 256 wide one?

FLATS: In XWE, when browsing the textures in the doom2.wad, some display in the center of the display screen, while some display in the upper left corner. Most textures display in the center, but some switches and other small textures display in the upper left. It seems all flats display in the upper left as well.

Here is my problem: When I go to replace a flat with my 64x64 texture, when XWE shows the new texture in place of the flat from the doom2.wad, it displays it in the center, instead of in the upper left like it should. I think this is the reason I am unable to replace flats, because when I open them up in deepsea, the new texture is all screwed up.

Here is my question: So how do I make my own floor and ceiling textures and sky textures using XWE? I have the textures ready to go - just don't know how to successfully implement them.

To create your own textures: Highlight your new graphics and right click. First 'add to pnames' then 'add to texture'. This only works with one-patch textures, and the texture name will be the same as the patch.

To create your own flats: Highlight your new graphic (one at a time) and click 'Save as Doom Flat' from the Image menu. You then need to move the graphic so it's between the FF_START and FF_END markers. XWE is useless at moving entries in the list, unless you don't have far to move it (use 'Move Up/Down' from the Entry menu) - so you'd be better off with DeePsea for moving entries in the wad. (use the PWAD Lump Fixing feature)

To create your own skys: Highlight your new graphic and rename it to RSKY1, RSKY2 or RSKY3 (you could use a different patch name, but you'd have to edit the corresponding SKY1-3 texture. If you're making a sky longer than 256x128 you have to do this).

Yep, skies can be up to 1024 wide. Some ports let you use skies more than 128 tall as well.

The only way I could get XWE to replace existing textures is as follows. I make a 'resource wad' with the copied texture1 and pnames lumps from the doom Iwad. Make the FF_Start and whatnot markers like The Ultimate DooMer said. Once you load the new texture in the wad and move it between markers, right click on it and 'add to patch names'. Go to your PNAMES lump, click on it and scroll down the list and find the number next to it. Ok go to your texture1 lump and find your new texture. See the jobby that says PID.... change that number to the number that you got from the PNAMES lump. Ok now if you want to resize the texture you can change the width and the height in the boxes. Now the only thing I've had problems with is changing it from a multi patch to a single (not sure if the newest XWE will do this). One time I made a new 'one patch' switch texture and the one I was replacing was 3 patches....nearly drove me crazy trying to get it to change to 1 patch. What I ended up doing is making each patch the same by changing the PID # to be the same for all the patches and then changing the size on each.. Sounds sucky but it worked. Glad the only time I ever use this method is when I'm making a new switch or something animated. heh and I always had problems with Wintex. :p

NiGHTMARE said:

Yep, skies can be up to 1024 wide. Some ports let you use skies more than 128 tall as well.

Beware of legacy (and possibly a couple other engines), though, for it will squash your large skies, and make them look completely wrong

(Evilution has some 1024 skies I believe)

do you guys know which ports allow for 128+ height skies? Or the ones that work well for ultra wide skies?

thanks for all the feedback.

ZDoom (and derivatives such as Skulltag) and Legacy are the only two I know for sure that support 128+ tall skies, though I'm sure there are others. ZDoom's limit IIRC is 240, while Legacy's is 255. As for ports which screw up 1024 wide skies, I've personally never heard of any ;).

BTW if you're going to make a ZDoom level, you might want to consider using a skybox instead, as a good skybox will look far superior to a good sky texture :).

SKYBOXES

I remember hearing about these awhile ago. Although I never understood what they are or how to make them. Any info would be appreciated.