Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

The /newstuff Chronicles #175

Okay I know a lot of you (Ling) didn't like my lame April Fool's joke, but I decided we couldn't have an April 1st without a lame 'Doom 3 Canceled/Released' joke. It's like Christmas without your uncle getting drunk and hitting on your mom. Which wouldn't be so bad if she wasn't his sister. Anyway, as a peace offering I've done this week's newstuff, and we have a pretty nice haul of maps to check out, ranging from good to bad to useless, so click on that little thing that says '(more)' and we'll get started.

• Black Gloves for the Doomguy - Grimm
    Doom/2 - n/a - 102k - (img)
    From the magical world of color shifting comes some modified Doom2 HUD weapon sprites which have black gloves instead of the regular world of brown gloves. They look nice enough, but there's not much more to it than that, though there is an oddity in the text file I feel the need to point out in a fit of pretentiousness:

I made 'em all from scratch by modifying the regular gloves.

Well now, Mr. Grimm, if you modified the regular gloves then that doesn't make them from scratch now, does it?! Yeah I didn't think so. The zip also includes a pair of red gloves which look fucking awful to say the least.

• The Abandoned City - DooMBoy
    Limit Removing/Heretic - SP - 240k - (img)(img)
    I'm going to be blunt with you right off the bat. I don't like Heretic. It's boring and cartoony looking and the barrels don't explode. No sir, that's not game for me where barrels don't explode. That said I tried to play this map with an unbiased viewpoint. This map, while by no means horrible (it has a consistent theme, decent gameplay and balance) is pretty dull and boring architecture-wise in that classic Doomboy style where no lines are less than 32 units long and everything except a few slanted lines here and there are at 90 degree angles (square power!). The map starts and ends quite nicely, but in between it's just big tall rooms with no detail and what seems like random smoothed lighting. On top of that the entire premise of the map is random switch hitting to collect three keys. Also despite the fact that you don't need any keys until the very end of the map, it's still very linear, all but forcing you to run the map in a specific order. Still, Heretic maps are few and far between, so if you're starved for Heretic maps then look no further. As for the rest of you, well, don't go insane trying to get it.

• Entrapment - P.Westlake
    doom2.exe - SP - 102k - (img)(img)(img)
    Given the small filesize I wasn't really expecting this map to be all that great (don't ask me why I thought that, the filesize isn't really that small) but I was pleasantly surprised. Here, folks, we have an excellent example of how to make a stellar vanilla Doom map (though I played it in ZDoom, but the text file says it's designed for vanilla). The map has just the right amount of detail, with some not only excellent architecture, but some great smoothed lighting as well. I really like the overall look of the map, even though I'm not overly partial to tech base themed maps. The gameplay is pretty tough as there's not an abundance of health (along with a good amount of hitscan enemies to boot) there's plenty of ammo so as long as you don't try any crazy Rambo moves you should be okay. Another thing I though was great were how the traps were so finely tuned. Every time you hit a switch or grab a key you'll usually have new monsters breathing down your neck, so there's never a dull moment. Good times were had by all. Overall this is a great map and well worth its weight in internet money. Give it a play.

• GrahamK.wad - Graham Keith
    doom.exe - SP - 90k - (img)(img)(img)
    If you always wanted to play a dull looking wad with zero detail but somewhat decent gameplay, then look no further, because this is the wad for you! Now I personally don't really like playing levels unless they look good, so naturally I wasn't too happy when I had to play this. Every room is bare and annoying with no semblance of anything even resembling detail anywhere. The gameplay is inconsistent at best; really easy sometimes and quite hard others, though you'll never really be strapped for health. Not to be too much of a jerkass, the author does show potential for the future, I guess, since, if anything, the layout of the maps (there are two, E1M1 and E1M2) is pretty interesting. But we're not in the future, we're in now, and in the now I say that you shouldn't bother with this one.

• Dead In 60 Seconds - Samuel "Kaiser" Villarreal
    Limit Removing - SP - 143k - (img)(img)(img)(img)(img)
    When I saw the title of this levelset (five maps) I was going to go on about Gone in 60 Seconds which is one of my favorite movies, but then I realized that the maps are actually good so I couldn't go off on a stupid tangent. But then I just did, so screw it. Anyway, DISS (that's what I'm calling it) is a set of five maps that were all made in forty minutes or less, speedmapping style. As such the maps are all very short (you can probably finish them in under two or three minutes with practice) but also very hard, as seems to be the Kaiser style. In fact, if I were asked to compare these levels to levels that existed prior to the existence of these levels, I would have to compare them to Scythe. In fact it's so much like Scythe you might even want to call this Scythe Jr (which is quicker to say and type than 'Dead In 60 Seconds'). Also, unlike certain other wads with 'Jr' appended to the end (insert throat clearing noise), these levels aren't awful beyond belief. Worth a looksee, even if they'll only give you around a half hour of entertainment (or frustration if you suck at Doom), if even that.

• DooM Party R n' R v1.0 - MasterOFDeath
    ZDoom - Co-op - 192k - (img)
    Every once in a while a really innovative wad comes along. This is not one of them. The premise is to 'hang out' with your other Doom buddies in this map which is uh, well kinda stupid. The sole saving grace of this map is the bar fight you can get into (with a scripted marine), but even that doesn't make it worth downloading. Skip.

• RetroPack - Michael T. Cole (ShadowRunner)
    doom.exe - SP - 79k - (img)(img)
    Why in god's name does this zip file contain three wads and three text files. You have Wintex. You have three wads. FIX IT. That aside this zip contains 'retro versions' of E1M1, E2M1 and E3M1 each replacing, uh, the level they mimic. By the way I'm not quite sure how you can make 'retro versions' of those maps seeing as how you can't get much more retro than the originals, but I digress. Anyways, the maps all come across as super deformed versions of the originals, which is weird to say the least. They're actually worse than the originals (which is hard to do with E3M1), and as such not really worth playing. Don't bother.

• Right Scroll - Andrew Stine
    Anything that doesn't unpack sidedefs - n/a - 4k
    This is a small demo map featuring a brand new trick 'discovered' by Ling, Jon 'Nonick' Rimmer and myself recently. The technical premise behind it is that when you pack sidedefs Doom will increment a sidedef's x offset for every scroll special linedef that references that sidedef. The net result is you can actually control the speed and direction of scrolling lines in doom2.exe allowing you to make rather impressive 'movies' as well as textures that scroll to the right. Any port that unpacks sidedefs upon level load (ZDoom may be the only one?) will break this trick, but the important thing is it works in doom2.exe, right?!

• Sedna 1 - Paul Corfiatis
    Boom - SP - 149k - (img)(img)(img)
    One thing I really can't stand in levels is an inconsistent theme, and Sedna 1 smacks of that. I honestly have no clue what kind of map this is. It starts off green brick and then randomly and abruptly shifts to tech, then base, then hell, then brick, then base again, then there's a few areas that have no discernable theme at all and just seem to be some random mix of flats and textures. While that might be all well and good for some of you, I can't freaking stand that and those types of glaring jumps really irk me. Just thought I'd point that out. As a whole the map isn't bad at all, though it's nothing spectacular. There's not an excessive amount of detail, but for the most part there's enough so that it doesn't look empty. The difficulty is pretty high, I had problems in various places including being forced to punch four cacodemons to death (with berserk, thankfully) and there are some major cramping issues to deal with as a lot of times you're forced to fight in some very tight quarters. Overall a decent map, though you might want to skip it if you're not a fan of fighting in small spaces and people who hate random themes might also want to take similar actions.

• Tormuse.wad - Graham Keith
    doom.exe - SP - 71k - (img)(img)(img)
    This is by the same author of GrahamK.wad and the consensus is pretty similar; map without a consistent theme and underdetailed bare rooms. However I will say that I really liked the layout of the first map (there are two, replacing E2M1 and E2M2), it was quite interesting and I think if you can look past how ugly and underdetailed the map is you will probably enjoy it. The second map is more of the same, though I thought the start area was really cool. I got stuck in the weird lift room in the second map though, and I decided I didn't care enough to figure out how to get out of there, so I stopped playing. I think once the author learns about detailing and smoothed lighting he'll become a very capable author and will produce some top quality stuff. As for this wad, well, outside of the few merits I mentioned, it's probably not worth your time.

• The CodeImp Realm - Pascal vd Heiden
    Skulltag - CTF - 168k - (img)(img)(img)
    When I first loaded up this map in single player I didn't think it would play overly well because the layout was kind of confusing and I kept taking wrong turns because lots of spots look similar. Of course judging a map meant for multiplayer solely in solo-play is just dumb, so I found a couple Skulltag monkeys and we played a few rounds. My consensus after that, it's a pretty fun map. As is often the case with CTF maps it's really just half a map copied and rotated 180 degrees, but of course that sort of thing often works for CTF maps, so I won't hold it against CodeImp. The bases have a little pool of red or blue colored water with the flag in it that kills you if you drop in there. Hitting a switch will allow you to grab the flag and haul ass back to your base. There are a couple paths you can take to get there, including a very impatient lift, or some magical doors (it's like the supermarket!). Weapon balance is spot on, and the map is big enough that one person with a single weapon can't dominate it. Lookswise, well, no complaints here as it looks very nice. Actually it really reminds me of some of the maps in UT, only browner. Overall, good stuff and if you're a fan of Skulltag you'll definitely want to grab this.

fp! props to all logged-in trolls!

Cyb cheats, Optiks didn't claim, and Scuba Steve forgot the props!

Cyb, did you read prtyrnr's readme? I am aware of how boring it currently is, but it's in the beta stage. The next version will be a MASSIVE improvement. And since you like the barfight so much, I will add more marines there(if you want). If anybody has any suggestions, iv'e started a thread in the editing forum. BTW, which would be better, a strip club, disco, shooting range (with monsters, not a dumb, boring bullseye), or all 3?(respond in the thread in the editing section.)

Grazza said:

fp! props to all logged-in trolls!

Cyb cheats, Optiks didn't claim, and Scuba Steve forgot the props!

KAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHN!!!

MasterOFDeath said:

Cyb, did you read prtyrnr's readme? I am aware of how boring it currently is, but it's in the beta stage.

WHY WOULD YOU RELEASE IT THEN.

MasterOFDeath said:

I am aware of how boring it currently is, but it's in the beta stage.

In that case, you're lucky that Ty accepted it at all ("If you're not done with it, it doesn't belong in an archive.").

Nowhere in your text-file do you describe it as a beta. You call it version 1.0, which sounds like an initial full release, rather than a beta. So you can't complain that Cyb reviewed it as a completed work, rather than a W.I.P.

Scuba: No props, no glory. :p

Grazza said:

In that case, you're lucky that Ty accepted it at all ("If you're not done with it, it doesn't belong in an archive.").

Nowhere in your text-file do you describe it as a beta. You call it version 1.0, which sounds like an initial full release, rather than a beta. So you can't complain that Cyb reviewed it as a completed work, rather than a W.I.P.

Scuba: No props, no glory. :p

You are right. I have no idea why I didn't call it beta in the readme(I can be pretty ignorant sometimes). I can tend to do that sometimes. As for uploading something unfinished, I forgot about that. I was just in a hurry to get the demo out so that people knew about it. The next release WILL be the full version. Sorry about that. And go ahead and make any suggestions in my thread in the editing section I mentioned. Thanks for the IMPORTANT reminders :D!

Cyb said:
Here, folks, we have an excellent example of how to make a stellar vanilla Doom map (though I played it in ZDoom, but the text file says it's designed for vanilla).

It was seemingly made using Doom95, since on Doom2 it easily VPOs in a pretty important place; when hitting the switch where the Plasma Rifle is, looking toward the opening door as you stand on the ledge where the switch you just used is.

The technical premise behind it is that when you pack sidedefs Doom will increment a sidedef's x offset for every scroll special linedef that references that sidedef.

The movie and right scroll ideas are cool(how'd you come up with it?), but it should be mentioned that the engine quirk that makes this possible has been known since the days of Icarus...

That's simply because the mirrors haven't updated yet.

You know Cyb, I debated whether or not to leave the "Made form scratch" thing in there. I put it in because I didn't want people to think I just copied and pasted from Scuba Steve's sprites. It didn't quite sound right to my ears, but then I said, "Hey, what kind of asshole is gonna nitpick over something like that?" Well, now I know. I'm just glad I didn't happen to have a level up.

Why hasn't a good bunch of the wads reached /idgames yet?

While I'm at it, expect a C-Doom update sometime this week. I may or may not work on the lite version.

Since I was a beta tester for the lone Heretic map is week I should first point out that the keys dont have to be grabbed in any spefic order. That least that what it sounded like Cyb was saying. I could be wrong.

Heretic textures do make it hard to create a uber detailed map.
I believe that this was his first Heretic map aswell, (I could be wrong again) so its a great starting out point.

It's a good map, so grab it.

BTW, Heretic is not boring. :D

sgtcrispy said:

Since I was a beta tester for the lone Heretic map is week I should first point out that the keys dont have to be grabbed in any spefic order. That least that what it sounded like Cyb was saying. I could be wrong.

You are correct. The keys don't have to be grabbed in any specific order.

Heretic textures do make it hard to create a uber detailed map.

If you're trying to go for a city themed Heretic map it's even harder. I realize I could have used one or two more textures as well, but still....what's one or two more textures?

I believe that this was his first Heretic map aswell, (I could be wrong again) so its a great starting out point.

Actually, my very first map for Heretic was The Cathedral, this is my second. I believe this is the better of the two. :) It's certainly the bigger of the two.

It's a good map, so grab it.

Exactly, I don't think it's a bad map at all. It could have been a lot worse, I'm sure.

BTW, Heretic is not boring. :D

Damn straight! We need more Heretic maps. You can expect to see more of them in the coming weeks...

Some of these maps look a little unfinished.

Keep trying guys, and keep up the good work.

PS. I never replied to last weeks newstuff, probably because any spare time I had was spent playing Vile and the other good stuff on show there. Big respect to last week's stuff.

Grimm said:

You know Cyb, I debated whether or not to leave the "Made form scratch" thing in there. I put it in because I didn't want people to think I just copied and pasted from Scuba Steve's sprites.

The major difference was that after I made the gloves black I added (seriously) plastic wrap to them, so that they felt leathery. Besides, I don't hold the copyright on black gloves, just Action.

Heh, the gloves are pretty cool. Where's all the good Zdoom maps? I haven't seen a good looking Zdoom SP map to play for a long time now.

cyber-menace said:

Heh, the gloves are pretty cool. Where's all the good Zdoom maps? I haven't seen a good looking Zdoom SP map to play for a long time now.

Wait till next week. I'm brewing up something 10sector-y.

cyber-menace said:

In the meantime, you might want to have a look here to see if there are any that you've missed :).

Cyb said:

• Sedna 1[/url][/b] - Paul Corfiatis
    Boom - SP - 149k -
    One thing I really can't stand in levels is an inconsistent theme, and Sedna 1 smacks of that. I honestly have no clue what kind of map this is. It starts off green brick and then randomly and abruptly shifts to tech, then base, then hell, then brick, then base again, then there's a few areas that have no discernable theme at all and just seem to be some random mix of flats and textures. While that might be all well and good for some of you, I can't freaking stand that and those types of glaring jumps really irk me. Just thought I'd point that out. As a whole the map isn't bad at all, though it's nothing spectacular. There's not an excessive amount of detail, but for the most part there's enough so that it doesn't look empty. The difficulty is pretty high, I had problems in various places including being forced to punch four cacodemons to death (with berserk, thankfully) and there are some major cramping issues to deal with as a lot of times you're forced to fight in some very tight quarters. Overall a decent map, though you might want to skip it if you're not a fan of fighting in small spaces and people who hate random themes might also want to take similar actions.

]

• What did you expect? It was by Paul. If you have played his wads before than you would have expected him to slap 3 or 4 themes in to one level. He does his levels like that, and personly I think its neat.

The major difference was that after I made the gloves black I added (seriously) plastic wrap to them, so that they felt leathery.

Heh, I'm not sure what you mean. I made 'em by grayscaling the orginals, then altering the contrast and brightness . . . as per that PM from many months ago.

cyber-menace said:

Hey! I take that as an insult!

Grimm said:

Heh, I'm not sure what you mean. I made 'em by grayscaling the orginals, then altering the contrast and brightness . . . as per that PM from many months ago.

I did exactly what you said... only I used a filter on them after adjusting the contrast. Not really that big of a deal... it was just for playing around.