Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ReX

Quake: Entering Shub-Niggurat's Pit -- how?

I should know this, seeing as how I've played Quake several times in the past. When I finish Azure Agony, the last level in the Elder World episode, and pick up the fourth rune I expect to go to Shub-Niggurat's lair. Instead I'm taken back to the initial hub where the arrows are now pointing me back to the first episode (Dimension of the Doomed). The entrances to the second and third episodes are also open, but the entrance to the fourth episode (The Elder World) is closed. The game has seemingly "forgotten" that I've already collected the first three runes.

I've tried warping to Shub-Niggurat's Pit using 'MAP e5m1', which doesn't work. So essentially, to use an indelicate analogy, I'm left holding a stiff one with nowhere to put it.

To get there without cheating, you have to go to each episode and pick up the rune there. When you do get a rune, that episode is closed off. When all four are closed off, then a huge hole opens up in the starting map. This leads to the final map. You can't simply complete the fourth episode and expect it to open; only after you go through all four episodes will it open.

Ichor said:

You can't simply complete the fourth episode and expect it to open; only after you go through all four episodes will it open.

ReX said:

The game has seemingly "forgotten" that I've already collected the first three runes.

Arioch said:

map end

Muchas gracias!

Still, is there an explanation for why I don't reach Shub-Niggurat's Pit automatically, and have to resort to a cheat?

The only explanation I can think of is that Quake needs to be played within a specific time-frame (e.g. 3 months), or else data saved from earlier is lost. I've been playing the game since September last year.

ReX said:

The only explanation I can think of is that Quake needs to be played within a specific time-frame (e.g. 3 months), or else data saved from earlier is lost. I've been playing the game since September last year.

I don't see why that would be the case, so long as you're loading the same save.

I know what he said. I've remember quite a few people who went through the fourth episode and expected the entrance to open, assuming that the other three runes are collected automatically.

Another way is enter noclip cheat, in the start map, then go to the entrance of the final map, then get the cheat off and play as normal.
As the map start with only the shotgun, you don't have to care about loosing armor or weapons.
Then you can face one of the (if not the) worst end boss of them all

The only explaination I can think of is that maybe you started a new game when you did the final episode because you weren't thinking or something.

I must say that, personally, I didn't like the fight with Shub Niggurath. It just wasn't any fun.

Ichor said:

I know what he said. I've remember quite a few people who went through the fourth episode and expected the entrance to open, assuming that the other three runes are collected automatically.

I've done worse than this, back when I was younger and didn't understand anything about computers. When I had shareware Quake, I believed that by using the noclip cheat and passing through the locked doors to the other episodes, I could reach them without having to get the registered version. Oops.

DooMBoY said:

I must say that, personally, I didn't like the fight with Shub Niggurath. It just wasn't any fun.

Indeed, I'd also say that I was disappointed with the other episode end levels, since I hoped I would see some awesome boss encounters after meeting Chthon several months prior, finishing the shareware episode. Then again, not many Quake MP bosses were that great either (Armagon was my favorite).

Danarchy said:

The only explaination I can think of is that maybe you started a new game when you did the final episode because you weren't thinking or something.

That probably explains it.

While I think Quake is swell(!) I don't think I'm going to play through the entire first 3 episodes to reach the end map. I'll just use the cheat and warp there.

Many thanks to all.

This happened to me as well the first time I played through Quake. For some reason the last episode did not become available. I just used the noclip cheat to get there.

Danarchy said:

To avoid such things, I usually have a save game at each episode's end map - old tradition dating all the way back to Wolf3d :-)

dsm said:

To avoid such things, I usually have a save game at each episode's end map - old tradition dating all the way back to Wolf3d :-)

Hah, I used to do the same thing with a lot of games until warping around to the end maps became trivial (cheat codes, command lines, etc). I did it more to save all of the neat stuff I had collected up to the end.

EDIT: trivial for me, that is... this was the old days of being a newbie. :)

Epyo said:

First boss was the ownz0r.

Yes, the end boss of Quake's first episode was very cool. I also liked how no matter how much you shot Chthon he'd never die, you had to (gasp!) actually use your brain (i.e., figure out what floor switch did what)!

Shub Niggurath wasn't even a boss. It could have been a giant sausage sitting there instead, and it wouldn't have made a difference. I mean it didn't shoot at you or anything:/
WORST BOSS EVER

you need to get all runes for the level to open. however sometimes a glitch causes it not to work, however that has happened only once to me, and it was when i did an update.

the games does not forget data, no matter how old it is. i have gone back to saved games over a year and a half old

i never did like that boss fight, infact i think it is fairly easy compared to other games

Quake . . . never happened. Played the N64 version, but I don't think that counts. :)

I am playing Hexen II though, and for whatever reason it actually makes me want to play Quake.

maybe because it is based on quake engine

note look under spiders after you kill them

hexen II is a good game, it was great when it first came out. i mean you could destroy almost everything

The WinQuake exe will run on XP, but I've known it to do some weird things (i.e. screw up the palette in mIRC for some strange reason.)

Hmm, if Hexen II runs on XP I don't see why Quake wouldn't. But in any event, there's Quake sourceports right?

insertwackynamehere said:

It was like the Icon of Sin. It was a lazy peice of shit, which sent monsters at you and had a secret weakness.

Anyway, I'v beaten Quake without cheats, and it worked

It didn't spawn anything. There are 21 monsters total in that map, most of which explode on level end. I still usually end up with 19/21 max kills.

KoRn said:

Quake won't run on XP, eh?

GLquake will work with XP as well as tenebrae (don't use that one).

I remembering fighting Shub niggurath for the 1st time, the hard way. I wonder how Rex is going fare against it.

Vile said:

Armagon was my favorite.

Was that the dragon, or the robot? I've got my xps mixed up..