What was 'zombie doom'?

I was messing about the /idgames archives, when I stumbled upon these files:

zombmini.zip
zombflme.zip
zombdpst.zip
zombsht2.zip
zombcsaw.zip
zombshot.zip

They are left over weapons from a dead project called "zombie doom". After I did some more sniffing about, I found mention of a beta version of this project.

I'd like to know, firstly, what Zombie doom was, and secondly, is there anywhere I might find this beta?

I have basically rewritten and bumped this entire thread rather then just starting a new one, because the original one wasn't getting any ware.

No, he is looking for zombeta. A really hard to find wad. After a lot of search I e-mailed the author of that wads and he sent me it via e-mail. The sprites by today standars are bad, some of them are imp modified to look like zombies (but they don't), coloured in a dark green, so de author via dehacked can put versions with diferent colours (all of them look bad). Another monster is the Golem from Heretic, modified in a very weird manner, that looks even worst than the other. I removed it in the same hour that I played it, so I can't send it to you. I suggest that better you don't bother looking for it, but if you are interested, try asking the author of the zips, he appears to be a good guy.

Zombie DooM was a project hosted, right here, on Doomworld. It was a classic horror style wad with zombies and tons of dehacked. You could shoot off zombies arms, there were chainsaw guys that would drop chainsaws that came after you when they died. The project was stopped when the author "lost" alot of the work in a HD crash. I still have the last beta on my computer somewhere.

Scuba Steve said:

You could shoot off zombies arms

I didn't think that could even be achieved in Doom without source modification. How was that done, changing a monster-dropped item to the armless zombie or something?

Yeah, you swap the dropping clip/gun to another monster. I did the same thing (read: ripped off the idea) in Ghostbusters DooM with zombies. Pretty novel actually... it was a fun wad, there has never been a good zombie fighting wad for DooM... or too many other games for that matter.

Scuba Steve said:
There has never been a good zombie fighting wad for DooM...

I disagree! zombies.wad alone isn't great, but when you add cw-z2.wad to the mix (with edge), you get what is IMHO the best doom TC ever!

any how, thanks for the info. I'm looking for stuff for a project I may or may not every get done.

I'll drop this guy a line.