Baron
Hell Knight
Archville
Chaingunner
Sergent/Trooper
Imp
Icon of Sin
Other

So I'm working on a small map that represents the studio and hopefully I'll have a screen shot soon. I'll tentatively have the cyberdemon as the host and revenants as the spokes models. A live studio audience full of various badies will be on hand as well as the crew to film the show. I don't have any TV camera sprites so I'll have to use the dead-guy-on-a-stick for the time being; use your imagination. The goal of this first map won't be to kill the folks in the studio. I'll have the "contestants" cordoned off in a safe place but in full view of everyone. I'll probably have some low level baddies for you to kill, like any other typical first map. The final map, if I ever create one, would be to return to the studio and kill everyone off.

My mapping skills are amateurish, although I can navigate around Doom Builder, so it may take a while to churn out something I'm not ashamed to show you guys.

If it helps, the theme for the game show is Smash TV. Look it up kids. It was a hell of a game in its time.

The object will be to win valuable prizes(guns and shit) and kill lots of monsters, kind of like what Doom is already about only in a fun, absurd theme. I have a collection of interesting prefabs that should help me design clever ways to plop monsters into the arena for people to fight.

If I can get just the studio and one other map out I'll be happy. Hell, if I can get a decent studio out I'll be happy.

I'm not sure what port to make this for, so in the mean time I'll make it compatible with Boom, although Skull Tag looks appealing for it's multiplayer capabilities.

That reminds me on a very old map called "Test 2 Kill (Satan's Training Grounds)" and can be found here: http://www.filelibrary.com/Contents/DOS/104/78.html

It includes a TV game show aside other sceneries. The map is very low details, which can be excused with the very low vis plane limit back then, though.

Actually, no "wakeup" sound is apropriate for a game show as they can't talk at all, which however is a requirement for a TV show. Maybe you would dub the lines they speak and script the game into it. It might be quite funny having the regular bad guys talking to each other and to the marine. "I'll be back" as some other famous hero said right before he left the studio, might be appropriate for the marine.

Grimm said:

Are the files in that File library place in the archives?

I don't see this particular file in the list, at least. (Btw. I find it pretty convenient downloading fullsort.gz, which you can search easily with a text editor.) I found several good maps from infant2.sphs.indiana.edu according to the "where to get" field, which I found on the cd "Boom 3 Classic" (not to be confused with the source port. The cd is from 13-jul-95 according to the file system). Those files seem part of the File library now. There are files from the idgames archive in there as well. It's some wild collection including some interesting stuff it seems.

A Smash TV Doom TC? That's actually the best idea I've heard in a long time. It could be accomplished somewhat using the third person camera view for gameplay, which I know has already been implemented before.

You must be able to do an overhead-ish camera with ACS? I've got a side view camera in my sidescroller mod...

LogicDeLuxe said:

Actually, no "wakeup" sound is apropriate for a game show as they can't talk at all, which however is a requirement for a TV show. Maybe you would dub the lines they speak and script the game into it. It might be quite funny having the regular bad guys talking to each other and to the marine. "I'll be back" as some other famous hero said right before he left the studio, might be appropriate for the marine.

I'm thinking the Icon of Sin's garbled speech would make for a good anouncer monologue. It sounds like demon-speak so you can imagine he could be anouncing something to the demon's watching from home. I'd use it sparingly, of course, like at the opening of each level. It's a show for the demons' amusement (like a cross between Smash TV and Running Man), not people, so using people-speak is out of the question.

Darkhaven4: I'd like to look at your map if you don't mind. I'll PM you.

you know, a scripted doom gameshow wad may be kinda neat. you could set up a set amount of teams, and the spec. are the audience. the questions could be scripted. each team member would answer (maybe in a family feud like style), when answering wrong the player spectates while an audience member joins in (like price is right) you can have a monster as the host (guest host-diff. monster). slightly off doom addict humor would be expected in the game.