Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Level of Experience in Doom.

How good are you at doom? (this is a lame poll)  

62 members have voted

1. 1. How good are you at doom? (this is a lame poll)

• I use codes when I play
    • What does strafe mean?
    • I can take on a baron of hell with a shotgun and not get hurt!
    • I can take on a baron of hell with a pistol and take minimal damage
    • I can take on a baron of hell with berserk fist and come away unscathed.
    • chaingun bobs up high in windows don`t scare me.
    • cramped spaces? Archviles, revenents and mancubi? Pfff...give me something [i]challenging[/i]
    • I kill Cyberdemons with an SSG for sport.

To answer your question, I chose option four. I'm most certainly not a god, but then I'm a total newb either :)

Wait, killing a Cyberdemon with the SSG is hard?

Change that to "pistol" and you'll have a better last option.

Yeah, SSGing a cyberdemon is nothing.

I have completed AV on ultra violence, and am on level 25 on both HR and HR2. (I played HR2 before HR, that shows how late I am with HR.)

I killed several Cyberdemons at the same time with the pistol before.
I mean, come on, put a choice that's actually challenging instead of boring.

You'd better list something like that :
* I cheat on ITYTD
* I can play Doom
* I can beat Doom ep 1 on UV without dying nor saving
* I can beat Plutonia, AV, HR or HR2 on HMP
* I can beat any Doom 2 level on UV from scratch without dying nor saving
* I can beat any Plutonia, AV, HR or HR2 level on UV from scratch without dying nor saving

Darkhaven4 said:

I killed several Cyberdemons at the same time with the pistol before.
I mean, come on, put a choice that's actually challenging instead of boring.

Then kill them with -turbo 10, without picking up anything, no crusher, no telefrag, no other monsters, no ammo and the chainsaw ran out of gas! :D
Or complete Mock2 with fists only in nightmare!

Options 3 - 8.

I don't play on anything lower than UV. I munch challenges for breakfast.

Plutonia, AV, HR1/2? Yeah, I can do that. :P

I mastered my early DOOM years with either a controller with SNES DOOM, or 100% keyboard on a laggy little 386 running shareware KDITD. Once you get good with those horrid setups, keyboard-mouse combos seem almost unfairly easy.

Yeah this poll is a little screwy. The last option is supposed to be the most difficult? It doesn't suggest the size of the room, ammo limit, pick-ups, etc. My newest map features a mandatory Cyberdemon SSG fight (unless you chea) with to Hell Knights to boot. It is certainly not difficult.

BTW: I'm still looking for five people who might be interested in a sneak peek of MAP21. Only 10 people will be able to see it before the megawad is done.

Uhhhhh... I'm more towards hoping for people that know what the difference between a good map and a bad map is. You know, like the /newstuff reviewers and such. And don't go getting mad at me because I've seen a few things of yours and what you thought was great and well... the community opinion has shrunk your status.

EDIT: On second though, I think I'll let you play it, but it will be just for kicks and not really a beta test. I'll send you a PM...

Ouch, pwned

Cyber: I'll take a look if you'd like me too.

Ubik said:

Wait, killing a Cyberdemon with the SSG is hard?

Change that to "pistol" and you'll have a better last option.

I'll change it to berserk fist :P you're, right, tho - lot harder things - like pesky cg bobs in windows - argh teh hate.

Cyber: senderage to greenwar@comcast.net

What J said.

Killing Cyberdemons with the SSG is not very hard, is it? Just side-step his rockets and keep blasting... now if you're doing this against a wall or on higher/lower ground, then it's a different story.

As for killing the Baron with Berserk, that requires some fancier moves and timing.

Aight Cyber: Here's my little review.

Map21:DTCA

When I first began in space on a hell portal it was cool. But this map is a little bit hard even for Doom Veterans. You gotta worry about not falling and not getting shot at the same time which can be a bitch, not to mention i had to use IDDQD halfway through the game but it's a beta test so I can't say there's nothing wrong with it, it's supposed to help you fix up some stuff. My thought about wood in space: How is that possible? I would recommend changing the wood textures and flats to some metal stuff. This level felt like a Rpg: Kinda like a Final Fantasy 2 or 3 area. The music also reminded of oldschool rpg's from the Super Nintendo which I really like. The map's design, detail, and lighting is pretty good, but could be a bit better in the final version in my opinion. I'm not saying this map is bad, I frankly think it's pretty good, the scripting is unique and flexiable, and this level is surely to rise the shit I gotta run and backtrack for health and ammo which not many mappers go for. I'll give this map a 4/5. Keep up the good work.

Doom - The Cybdemon Army is not going to be a very simple megawad ... except for the lower skill levels of course, but only the lower skilled people play those. I am keeping skill 4 at around my own skill level... so if you cannot beat the levels of DTCA with a pistol start on skill 4, then you are lower in skill level. The fact that I'm the author really doesn't make any difference in this map because there are no big secrets that are even remotely hard to find. In fact there's only a couple of small secrets that are right out in the open. As for the wood textures... the story explains it all. It is a void between hell and humanity, so things are wierd. I've tried to add some symbolism of the link between the two worlds, but it can be hard to spot if you're not looking for it.

Lastly, I never had to backtrack for health and armor. Heh, the better you are, the less that has to be done. If you can beat it on UV without cheating I find you are a pretty good player.

All around it wasn't a bad review I just needed to clear a couple of things up.

BlackFyre said:

If it'll work in JDoom, send me a link to file as well.

Yup, definatly only works in Zdoom. My ACS file right now is HUGE. One thing I bet people will like whenever I finish my project is how my scripting is all free to look at or copy from to your disposal. I really won't mind. I just want to help people that are new, or even quite experienced with Zdoom ACS Scripting.

ravage said:

Tysoning archviles is kthx.

Tysoning archviles IS easy, if you've got something to hide behind, and you're skillful enough.

Darkhaven4 said:

I'll volunteer for the MAP21 beta test. Send me a link via PM...

Thank you for volunteering. A PM is on it's way.