Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mogul

p2p or cs?

I know that in the beginning, it was known that DOOM 3's multiplayer connections would be p2p. This was true even up to Quakecon 2003, I think.

But didn't they say now that they had switched to a C/S system? I thought I remembered reading it, but I can't find where I read it.

Anybody know the truth on the matter?

Now where have i heard this before ;D
But seriously, it was P2P but know it appears to be client server, but your best bet is to wait and see.

As far as I know, P2P only works reliably with 2 computers. Supposedly ID has 4-player deathmatch added, so perhaps it's client-server. Hey, that's what they used in everything since Quake 1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

wildweasel-r3000 said:

As far as I know, P2P only works reliably with 2 computers. Supposedly ID has 4-player deathmatch added, so perhaps it's client-server. Hey, that's what they used in everything since Quake 1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Both the four player cap and the p2p were known facts (simultaneously).

It can be done.

Whether p2p is still in is the question.

Tim Willits said in an interview with Gamestar, that they previously tested peer-to-peer but weren´t satisfied by the results, so now they implemented a client-server system. January 2004 issue of the german Gamestar magazine.

Ah, THAT must be where I read it.

To be honest, I was kind of hoping for P2P. I'll live.

Why hoping for p2p? You can set up a server for 2 vs 2 if you want to play with a small group of players.

My guess is that a sophisticated modern net code would make long distance connections MUCH less laggy and more reliable. And it wouldn't hurt closer connections, anyway.

And besides, p2p would be different from what everyone else is doing. I think that'd be cool in itself.