• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Naked Snake

Old School Style

Topic: Old school style

Are you an Old School keyboarder only?

rofl, deathzor is right. I suggest you should change this subject to "Newbies' style". Only newbies would use keyboard only to play. If you have been playing for 5 years or so and you are still using keyboard, then you really do crack people up, lol

If you are talking about, Doom, yes. Otherwise, I use the mouse on anything from Quake and up.

sounds pretty newbieish to me. Use keyboard only in Doom? man you've gotta get your default.cfg changed. If you are talking about zdoom, lol then you really need to customize your controls from the option menu. Quake sucks...of its mouselook

rofl, deathzor is right. I suggest you should change this subject to "Newbies' style". Only newbies would use keyboard only to play. If you have been playing for 5 years or so and you are still using keyboard, then you really do crack people up, lol

so you're saying i'm a n00b cause i've been only using the keyboard in Doom for 7 years?

Guess I'm a n00b too cuz I've been playing DOOM since the shareware version came out. YEAH FUCKING RIGHT!!!!

If you ask me, I think keyboard only works better for me than mouse. How do you think people gamed before mouses came around?????

BBG: could you actually believe doomgods would use kb only without using mouse along?

Okay, cut the crap out and let's discuss about this briefly. Check out my controls:

E as forward
D as backward
S as backward
F as backward
R as turn left
Ctrl as turn right
Space as open/use
Mouse1 as Fire
Mouse2 as Stepstrafe
Always run mode: On

External unoffical Doom keys :

G as jump

(No need for mouselook, dumbass!)

Misc. :

V as showscores

Advantages: I learned to use these keys from Chewy. Chewy learned it from doomgods (Anders or Ocelot or something....I know Farce uses these keys). Originally, both of us chew and I learned the PROPER use keys from Gibalot, they were dxzc as forward, backward, step left, and step right. But later we are used to these now. These keys are much advanced because you can switch weapons easily and use strafe 50 well. <--- recommanded for the people who have short fingers, small hands. =)

but dxzc felt pretty smooth too :) I think Anders uses them, too.

Use a mouse, but don't crank the sensitivity up so high that you can do 80 full turns in 1.3 seconds :)

I don't use a mouse, except in Zdoom because it makes it too hard to move right, in my opinion. I guess I'm a newbie since I've been playing since 1994 then... :p

Use a mouse, but don't crank the sensitivity up so high that you can do 80 full turns in 1.3 seconds :)

depends on the quality of the sensitivity of your mouse. Mine is a fast mouse, but still i need to turn it to about 75% pretty high level using it for strafe 50

999cop

heh.

my controls:

Up Arrow: Forward
Down Arrow: Backward
Left Arrow: Turn Left
Right Arrow: Turn Right
Ctrl: Shoot
Right Shift: Run
< : Strafe Left
> : Strafe Right
Space: Use

Take note that i never use Sidestrife. (alt + Left or Right Arrow)

Non-standard Doom keys (I don't use these in multiplayer except \ for showing the score):

/ : Jump
\ : 180 degree turn (Boom, MBF, EDGE) or Show scores (ZDaemon, CSDoom, Skulltag, ZDoom multiplayer)
] : Zoom In (EDGE)
X : Swim Up
C : Crouch, Swim Down
PgUp: Look Up
PgDn: Look Down
End: Center View

I think that's it.

Here's my control setup...

E = Forward
D = Back
A = Strafe Left
S = Strafe Right
Shift = Run
Space = Jump (in port)

Mouse Left = Shoot
Mouse Right = Hold for Mouseaim (in port)
Mouse Mid / DblClick Mouse Right = Open/Use
Mouse Wheel = Change Weapons (in port)

And then the extra buttons for heretic...

Q = Inv Left
W = Inv Right
R = Use Inv
Z = Fly Down
C = Fly Up
X = Hit Ground

It's hella comfortable, and as long as the mouse sensitivity isn't jacked up to a ridiculous amount, then it can really improve your game.

You know, all this control talk is making me wonder how in the Blue Hell anyone is gonna get the feel for the control for GBA Doom.

I guess practice makes perfect.

then it sucks

cuz you won't be able to do strafe 50 on it without some decent keys. Only pc doom is the best of all for deathmatching

: Zoom In (EDGE)
X : Swim Up
C : Crouch, Swim Down
PgUp: Look Up
PgDn: Look Down
End: Center View

I think that's it.

you'll need a step strafe key for movement improvement :)

check out competn's players' profiles, they also provide some weird controls they use in Doom .

H - left
J - down
K - up
L - right
$ - end of line
0 - beginning of line
G - go to line#
/ - search
I - insert mode

(just kidding)