Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ragnarok

My Doom III suggestion...

PLaying Far Cry has given me a suggestion I would like to see in Doom 3. The check-point save system is real cool because it makes you play through a relatively short but sometimes difficult area of the game without the option of saving. I personally think this would be good for Doom, because, even if you know where enemies are eventually, you still have to be the area to make it to the next save point. I do hope, however, the physics engine is a little better. I don't like how people slowly slide down mountains basically non-stop, but it is nice to see the beginnings of what is to come.

One final thing which I would like to see is no radar. I have noticed a lot of recent FPS games having radars that tell you where to go. I don't remember seeing one in the trailer, but I certainly don't want one in the game. That will force players to look around and see all of thier hard work. Plus, I wouldn't mind having to go down areas that serve absolutely no purpose but to be dangerous (although the marine, depending on how long he has been on the base, should be relatively familiar with the base). Perhaps a map you can mark on, or that little computer thing I have heard rumors of would be sufficient. Well, that's what I think... what about you all?

We discussed the save system in a long thread some time ago, arround the time id Software told in an interview that they were currently experimenting with the way game saving could work in Doom3. They also considered a check point save system like that, as far as I remember.
Most players voted for classic unlimited saves though, because it gives yourself the freedom to play the game the way you like it.

I agree with you on the Radar, shouldn´t be in Doom3 IMO. I want to explore my environment on my own. Also, there will be an automap in Doom3, just like in the original Doom but probably more evolved.

A checkpoint save system would be better, it would make sure that you can't (in a way) cheat, by moving 1 cm then save, next cm, save etc.
Plus wheres the fun, if you know you can save anytime in the game.

Lectrix said:

moving 1 cm then save, next cm, save etc.

Solution : move 1cm and don't save, next cm, don't save etc.

I wouldn't mind the checkpoint but I prefer auto-save. If I have to go in a rush for some reason, I'd like to keep track of my progress and not redo the level if I'm near the end. If you want to use it, then use it. If you don't then don't.

I just played the Far Cry demo myself, and yes, the checkpoint system does work well. I certainly wouldn't mind having it in Doom 3.

I'm sure there won't be any radar in the game either.

Darkstalker said:

Solution : move 1cm and don't save, next cm, don't save etc.

Lectrix said:

A checkpoint save system would be better, it would make sure that you can't (in a way) cheat, by moving 1 cm then save, next cm, save etc.

Being able to save everywhere I want never spoiled the fun for me. If you don´t want to save all the time, just don´t do it.
I mean, you could also use cheats in SP and spoil yourself the whole experience, but why should anyone do this? Just because you *can* abuse a feature, doesn´t mean you have to abuse it.

Lectrix said:

Look, people shell out their own money for a game - they would be the ones to decide exactly how they wanna play it. They don't need a limiting save system to tell them how they wanna play the game - if they wanna "cheat" then that's their decision.

dsm said:

Look, people shell out their own money for a game - they would be the ones to decide exactly how they wanna play it. They don't need a limiting save system to tell them how they wanna play the game - if they wanna "cheat" then that's their decision.

We don't design the games - we play them. In nearly any game you will come across things you don't like/would have done differently - it's part and parcel of the experience. But they are the creators after all, and sometimes a choice you don't necessarily like does turn out to be a good thing.

Lord FlatHead said:

I just played the Far Cry demo myself, and yes, the checkpoint system does work well. I certainly wouldn't mind having it in Doom 3.

I'm playing Far Cry and I like the checkpoint system very much, it realy adds to the immersiveness of the game. During gameplay i don't have to decide if i should hide somewhere to save, or whatever.

I just like it.

Well, when it "eventually" comes out, i'll try to resist the quick save button. That or i'll just have to rip it off my keyboard. ;D

Zoost said:

I'm playing Far Cry and I like the checkpoint system very much, it realy adds to the immersiveness of the game. During gameplay i don't have to decide if i should hide somewhere to save, or whatever.

I just like it.

And I like Far Cry's system, but I can bet you I'd save every other second if I could.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

We don't design the games - we play them.

Exactly! And game developers as "big" as Id try to appeal to as many gamers as possible, that's why when they design their games, they try to piss off the fewest people possible.
To avoid pissing people off, the smartest thing would be to leave the saving to the gamers - in other words, make it possible for the gamers to decide for themselves when they wanna save.

Painkiller has both checkpoints and unlimited saves, and it's worked out quite well. I can continue onward without worrying about saving. In the event that I die, I wont be kicking myself saying "damn, I forgot to save". At the same time, if I have to leave the computer, I can save wherever I am without going through a rough spot again.

Assmaster said:

Painkiller has both checkpoints and unlimited saves, and it's worked out quite well. I can continue onward without worrying about saving. In the event that I die, I wont be kicking myself saying "damn, I forgot to save". At the same time, if I have to leave the computer, I can save wherever I am without going through a rough spot again.

Yes, that I can agree with. Having both options is a nice feature.

I'm only against preventing players from saving when they want (at least have a save game feature at the start of each map so you can save a game at a boss arena with the "right" health/armour and ammo conditions).

Who honestly DOES save every other second "because they can" in doom anyway?, i usually have to die and start a map over 3 times before i remember to save at all...

I'm hoping for just checkpoints. I bought halo a month ago and it has the checkpoint system. I really like it.

deathbringer said:

Who honestly DOES save every other second "because they can" in doom anyway?, i usually have to die and start a map over 3 times before i remember to save at all...

It's not a matter of saving every two seconds - it's a matter of saving the moment something unexpected forces you to leave/shut down the computer - or just saving the moment you grow tired of playing (yes, it does happen sometimes, even in classic Doom), instead of being forced to reach the next checkpoint.

Or it's simply a matter of saving at a place where something unique happens - something which is extremely difficult to pull off and so, when you DO pull it off, you would want to save a game there to be able to go back and show it to some of your cronies.