Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cyb

Eternity Gets High

In the most shocking news since the Action Doom leak, the Eternity Page was updated with news that the Eternity TC is finished! Haha, sorry I couldn't keep a straight face for that one. Actually there's a new version of Eternity for you to try out which includes the much anticipated addition of resolutions higher than 640x400 which I guess is big news since Eternity was the last active port to get such a feature. Better late then never, eh? I'd paste some stuff from the changelog, but it's about three thousand lines of blah blah blah per entry and I'm too tired to start reading a new novel, so you'll have to live without the CliffsNotes. Also, you know who are a rad folk? Mole people. I'm sure you'll agree (though probably not with using the word 'rad').

Hurray! I may consider using it now.

I mean really, 640x400 just dosn't cut it!

Edit: that said, its a good port, but 640x400 really looks like ass on my moniter.

Heh, that Freedoom menu looks so 1990 shareware-ish :P

Anyway to get on topic, great work Quasar :).

Ct_red_pants said:

oh yeah, and why can't I get AV.wad work with eternity?

odd, i've tried both version of AV.wad and they work fine (using the launcher)

It'd be nice to have an icon in the video menu, because you have to count the 'clunk' noises atm to estimate your position.

I'm sticking to 640x400, but it's nice to see a new reason for people to use the port. Now people can finally watch those ancient demos in a high resolution.

Oh, and yay for Fraggle!!! There's one more motivation for me to get Debian working on here...

sargebaldy said:

I'm sticking to 640x400, but it's nice to see a new reason for people to use the port. Now people can finally watch those ancient demos in a high resolution.

finally? prboom?

Well I'm pretty sure 2.2.4 doesn't have them, and after playing around with 2.3.0 for a day I don't think I want to touch it again with a stick, one reason being that it doesn't do a very good job syncing demos anymore due to problems in the highly reworked renderer.

uh, prboom has had hires as long as I can remember, in fact I don't think it has lacked hires since it was lxdoom

Hmm, so it does, although it's ungodly slow even on low detail maps (I lagged just watching the original doom.wad demos). Guess I just never noticed it because there's no option to change the resolution in-game. Although to be fair Eternity's always had high-res too, if you consider that 640x400 is twice that of vanilla Doom.

sargebaldy said:

Hmm, so it does, although it's ungodly slow even on low detail maps (I lagged just watching the original doom.wad demos).

I never had any speed problems with 2.2.3. It always ran fine. The true color mode of 2.3.0 is another matter, though...

Szymanski said:
odd, i've tried both version of AV.wad and they work fine (using the launcher)

That's the thing, if I try to start AV from the in game menu it crashes, however, if I use -skill 3 -warp 01 it runs fine.

Ct_red_pants said:

That's the thing, if I try to start AV from the in game menu it crashes, however, if I use -skill 3 -warp 01 it runs fine.

At what point does it crash?

Szymanski said:
It'd be nice to have an icon in the video menu, because you have to count the 'clunk' noises atm to estimate your position.

This is a problem with a lot of TCs and megawads that replace the font, which dates back to BOOM. I was kind of under the impression that TeamTNT or SOMEBODY at least would eventually release some add-on wads that had appropriate color range translation tables in them for various mods, but nobody's ever undertaken that task. Maybe I'll release some eventually if I find the time. Of course the menus might get redesigned so that it's not as big of a problem, too.

Ct_red_pants said:

This is definitely some kind of problem. We'll try to look into it. What exactly is AV though, and can I get it from idgames?

Cyb said:

uh, prboom has had hires as long as I can remember, in fact I don't think it has lacked hires since it was lxdoom

Indeed; the original prboom 2.02 from November 1998 supported resolutions up to 1600x1200. It even handles silly resolutions too, such as 320x1200 or 1600x200, if you really want. The only annoying slow-down I've found is thanks to the "wipe" used at start-up.

The most severe menu problems I've come across with Eternity are with HR2.

Grazza said:

The most severe menu problems I've come across with Eternity are with HR2.

That's not an Eternity issue though, that's only because the hr2 team didn't follow proper procedure in making a menu system (i.e. they used one giant menu graphic rather than using seperate lumps for each option on the menu).

ports could be programmed to detect this possibility (one huge graphic instead of several ones) and then modify the menu back to old doom2's to maintain compatibility with HR2's menu

VinceDSS said:
ports could be programmed to detect this possibility (one huge graphic instead of several ones) and then modify the menu back to old doom2's to maintain compatibility with HR2's menu

Add-ons should follow the engine's specs, and not the other way around.

Hell Revealed 2 was meant for vanilla doom... and the menu displays correctly. That's the choice of the developpers.

If people want to use ports to play it, then the ports need to adapt to this feature.

Of course, somebody could be a pal and release an add-on wad or even a patch for HR2 that fixes the menu graphics, instead of always expecting port authors to fix stuff via code that doesn't necessarily need to be addressed that way.

I bet the total effort needed to repair it via a data patch would be very small, whereas the effort I would need to expend to specially detect certain wads and add in extra menus for them would be quite a bit larger, especially considering that once I fixed one person's project via code, I'd get requests for 9 or 10 more.

Yep, a patch WAD would not be a problem I guess.

Btw, Is it possible to get an option to toggle on/off Eternity's high mouse acceleration ? Some people like it and some don't, would be cool to have this possibility ... coz I dont like to play with mouse accel.

SoM said:
At what point does it crash?

the moment I select the diffculty setting.

Quasar said:
This is definitely some kind of problem. We'll try to look into it. What exactly is AV though, and can I get it from idgames?

here though this might be my computer being stupid. it's got a lot of problems.

Quasar said:
I bet the total effort needed to repair it via a data patch would be very small, whereas the effort I would need to expend to specially detect certain wads and add in extra menus for them would be quite a bit larger, especially considering that once I fixed one person's project via code, I'd get requests for 9 or 10 more.

It's engines lacking a standard menu option (which is nothing exceptional) that have the problem; PrBoom has such a feature... wait, so does Boom. Eternity does not? When did you take it out and why? Or is the feature actually there and nobody contributing to this thread knows about it? This is amusing.

My boom.cfg says:

traditional_menu              1

Mordeth said:
Add-ons should follow the engine's specs, and not the other way around.

Naturally (or you get crashes and other nasty effects), yet HR2 is a Doom2 PWAD, and Doom2 does not have a varying menu; thus using a single patch for it is of no consequence whatsoever. I'm sure that, out of the thousands, a handful of wads use single pictures for multi-patch menus and stuff like HR2 does; sometimes its quite convenient for the artist, and the engine (Doom) clearly allows it.

As for HR2, you can't even split that menu properly, so what's the point? It's a single piece for a reason, and it works on the real game.

Sign in to follow this