Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OnyxStar

HR2 TAS Movie

Hi everyone. I've always been a big fan of TAS movies, from the 1441 of Doom 2, to the awesome HR run. I really want to see a HR2 movie, but I suspect that won't be happening for awhile. So, I thought I could try my own version of it.

This was made using a modified version of prboom 2.2.4. The changes were made by me, and they include the following tools that help to build the demo:

-Press a key to take control of the player as a demo is running. (Obviously used to continue demos, and fix screw-ups)

-Warp to a certain level in the demo (Someone else made prboom do this too, and it's really useful)

-Skip a certain amount of time in a level (Same as above)

-Warp to the end of a level (I like to start at the intermission screen)

You can download the start of this demo from the following link: http://www.geocities.com/hammer81z/hr2-tas.zip

You might have to copy and paste that into your browser for it to work right. This demo only goes through map 7, and it takes 9:57. I am posting the beginning of it, because I want to know if anyone is interested in seeing it completed. It's nowhere near the quality of the super runs I mentioned above, but I think it's somewhat entertaining. The upcoming levels get long and tough, so let me know if I should stop now. It's a lot of work if no one cares to see it. Note: I have only watched it in prboom 2.2.4. I have no idea if doom2.exe will work. I suspect it will, but you never know. (It was recorded at comp level 1)

--------------------

Edit: The demo is now complete!

http://www.geocities.com/hammer81z/hr2_tasfinal.zip

I am really happy with how this whole demo went. I think it's really exciting to watch, and I hope you enjoy it too. Make sure you read the text file included, as it has some special information in it. The most important being, you have to use the version of prboom I included to watch it. I know that may be annoying to some people, but the text file explains why.

If someone wants to put the file where they think more people might see it, go ahead. I'd also like to hear what everyone thinks of it.

Thanks for watching!

interesting... /me wonders who OnyxStar is and goes to watch. :)
edit: fun to watch! thanks for sharing. some interesting choices in your run.

Just to give you a little update, I am now through map 15 with a time of 27:57. I'd post the new demo, but I think I'll wait for it to be completed, so that way you wont have to watch the beginning over and over to see the new maps I've done. I'm happy a couple (and probably more) of you have enjoyed it so far.

I just watched the trick jump in map 7, and its a neat move. However, I'm trying to see what routes I can come up with on my own for this. (Also, its too late to add that now, since I am through 15) Before each map, I check it out in a map editor, and see what I think will work fastest. Some maps, like 13, are just not designed for speed running, but they are very exciting to watch in this demo.

Finally, Opulent, you probably wouldnt remember me, since the only time I've spoken on these forums is when I released my prboom demo walkcam. This is the first demo I've made with the intent to release it for others to watch. Maybe you'll see more of me if I try my skills at some of the demopack projects going on...

well, I certainly remember you from the walkcam. that thing is nice!
I think you might be surprised how many players already use it.

I await this demo with baited breath, but I'd love to see some "normal" demos from you too. :)

The demo is complete! Check the original post for the link. This reply is just meant to bump the thread.

OnyxStar said:

This reply is just meant to bump the thread.

Now this is a really good reason for a bump. :)

I look forward to watching it.

very nice action. the max-style moments were the best ones. some fancy footwork on several maps... Map27 comes to mind.
Being that Olivera is one of the biggest TAS demo fans out there, I think this is very welcome.
good job. fun to watch for sure!
onto AlienVendetta? :P

Ill watch it tonight !

anyone wants to give a try to Alien Vendetta ?
I could prolly help to do some of it. Would budko's engine do it ?

Or the original Hell Revealed. Donner's 30hr2843 was great, but there have been a lot of route improvements since then.

well I think that if I get Andrey's engine that I could start a project on Requiem. It would be longer that most TAS movies so it could take a while to make. Also perhaps some other misc TAS demos.

Are you sure that that is the proper program. It may just be a program useful for playing back demos so you can skip parts in the beginning. Anyways I tried to run it but it was missing some MSVCR70.dll

Yes, but you need to copy/paste http://www.geocities.com/hammer81z/hr2_tasfinal.zip into your browser's address bar. It's a standard problem with geocities sites. :(

I've also put a copy here.

Kristian Ronge said:

Here you go, Jim ->
Now let's see Requiem Done Quick! ;-D

I am sure you are kidding ;-)

Requiem is pure crap for speed :) ... who likes >5:00 map speedruns :)

Well I think Requiem can be slow but in a polished TAS run it would not be boring especially if one carries weapons over from previous maps.

All great megawads deserve TAS runs done through them. The one for HR could stand a remake.

Heh, I started one for Dystopia 3 a few years ago. I found several really neat tricks in most maps, but unfortunately didn't get longer than MAP03 :/

Sorry it's not the correct program. I tried it and there was no automatic strafe50. Andrey can you send me the program?

Using permanent strafe-50 (even when turning) cheapens a TAS demo IMO. I'd be far more impressed by a demo that contains only legal gametics (though tool-assisted as heavily as you like in all other respects), even if this means it is a little bit slower.

That's true... I think Andrey's engine uses strafe50 even during turns, but that doesn't trigger the game to say "green is turbo" while playing back. It would be nice if Andrey would edit it to make only legal gametics. Without some kind of automatic strafe50 though the demo would indeed be slower which is why Andrey is so much faster than Sedlo.

xit-vono said:

I tried it and there was no automatic strafe50. Andrey can you send me the program?

Esc\Options\Status bar and HUD\last page

It would be nice if Andrey would edit it to make only legal gametics. Without some kind of automatic strafe50 though the demo would indeed be slower which is why Andrey is so much faster than Sedlo.

Ok. On Monday

P.S.
If you have any common crazy ideas about new shortcuts for tas movie of Alien Vendetta - write to me (its desirable after 7-th level) or talk on 100023 icq number

I'd be sure to tell you about av tricks but I don't know the maps well at all. Anders Johnsen would be a good person to talk to about that.

About all the known AV tricks are already used in the compet-n records, AFAIK. There's one extra trick on map05 but you'll take too much damage to survive using it, so it's worthless in an actual run.

Anyway, an AV run sounds interesting, and as Fredrik said, there's plenty of good PWADS that deserve runs. :)

in map05 : I wonder if it's possible to AJ to the blue key. (I might be wrong, just from memory, I'll check it tonight)

That was the trick I was referring to, Vince. :)

The problem with it is you'll take the damage from the archie hit and the time spent in the lava afterwards, since you can only GRAB the key and this approach would probably kill you, given the available resources.