Grazza

id or eye-dee?

How do you pronounce id?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce id?

• id
    • eye-dee
    • It is spelt eye-dee but it is pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove

To paraphrase the help menu in Wolfenstein 3D, "its id, as in the id, ego, and superego. Not eye-dee."

Apparently it started life as an acronym (for "In Demand"). Anyway, my question isn't about how it should in theory be pronounced, but how people actually say it.

Grazza, who said that? Quotes please... I've been told it's from the psychology term "it" (i.e., the subconscious.)

Freud (sp) created the phrases id, ego, and superego. Theyre supposed to be the three governing forces behind the human psyche. Or something like that. Do a search on yahoo.

Yahoo? WTF? Who are you telling this to? Who doesn't know that already?

Are you assuming Grazza...?

* myk kicks Assmaster around the thread like a ball

myk said:

Grazza, who said that? Quotes please...

According to elbryan42's comment in this post, at the time of Commander Keen, "id" (as a name for the company) stood for "In Demand".

Of course, the word "id" itself predates the company by more than two thousand years - it is the Latin word for "it" (neuter), and also has the modern meaning in psychology mentioned above.

Used to call it eye-dee until one fateful day in...1998 I think..when I lost a Q3A video demonstration with the announcer saying "id software".
I've called it 'id' and corrected any of my friends who called it "eye-dee" ever since.

Bloodshedder said:

Everybody know's it's "id,"

Well that's obviously not true. And since when was there a comma in "id" ?

The first Simpsons episodes were aired in 1987 I believe, and id was formed in 1990 or 1991.

I always pronouned it as "id" because I remembered watching a movie called "Forbidden Planet". I just figured that's the same "id" they were using.

Ultimate DooMer said:

btw, did you find the Python joke in LTSD?

I don't remember it, but I'm familiar enough with the Python stuff that I might have read it without it even striking me as incongruous. Did it involve the Black Knight (who didn't say "Ni")?

Grazza said:

I don't remember it, but I'm familiar enough with the Python stuff that I might have read it without it even striking me as incongruous. Did it involve the Black Knight (who didn't say "Ni")?

Nope, but you're in the right map.... (it's a secret)

For years I read it as "eye-dee" and had no other guide to its pronounciation

Later I read that it's supposed to be "id" but already it's far, far too late

It's weird when you first hear a word spoken out loud that previously you've only ever seen written down

Everyone I knew back when Doom was in its heyday said eye-dee, I still say that out of habit and so people know what the hell I'm talking about when I bring it up. But the correct pronunciation is of course 'id'.

ZarcyB said:

Uhhh... it's eye-dee, fools, everyone knows that!

My sarcasm detector isn't working.

ZarcyB said:

Uhhh... it's eye-dee, fools, everyone knows that!

yes i am not a fool (today).

IMJack said:

What came first: id Software, or the first episode of the Simpsons?

They were both "released" (formed, shown) on the same day?

Nice going, you just bumped a year and a half old thread!

But on a more serious note, the polls are all missing, every one of them before the latest art contest.

Yes, I noticed that. I wondered why someone had edited the poll options. I think I originally chose "id" "eye-dee" and "It's spelt Luxury Yacht but it's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove".

Presumably the latest server problems has fouled them up. People get linked to this thread when they vote in the Art Contest Poll. :(

The art contest poll is the same way. It looks like when that poll was edited, this one changed as well (or vice versa).