Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kid Airbag

Self-referencing Sector Shittiness

I opened WadAuthor today after over two months of not even touching it, and I worked for something like three straight hours. Then tragedy struck. I was attempting to create the vanilla "deep water" effect using self-referencing sectors, which I've had no trouble doing before. This time, however, it just refused to work.

I checked, and the dummy sectors all correspond to the correct self-referencing sectors, with the correct floor heights and everything. But in the game, they have incorrect heights. One room that shouldn't be self-referencing at all has deep lava for some reason. It's bothering me, because it's set up exactly the same as it is in my other map where I used it (Community Chest map 25), but it's not working at all here.

As usual, I'm probably missing something extremely obvious. But if anyone like to take a look and explain why I'm having trouble, leave your e-mail address and I'll send you the wad.

Just a note, it's called e4m2.wad because it was going to be E4M2 for Torn's Flashback megawad, although I may be too late on that. It plays on E1M1, though.

BTW, the area in question is in the SE corner of the main big room.

I've done too much on this map to want to completely start over, but I did try deleting everything that had to do with the problem and making it all again, but the same thing just happened.

One odd thing I did notice is that when I try to make a new sector in the little trench leading to the area in question, WA thinks it's in the void for some reason and creates an all one-sided sector that's still clickable o_O

I tried to see if I could have been of help, but I didn't find any solution to your problem. One thing I did find out was that I little knowledge of self-referencing sectors. I tried several different ideas that I had, but none of them worked.

These kinds of problems are such a piss off. You can spend hours trying to figure out what is wrong and find out that you made a small stupid mistake. Even more so when it happens in something you have done before.

I wish I could have been more help.

Remove all linedefs you used for self-referencing sectors. Check if the level is OK. Rebuild the self-referencing sectors.

...yeah. If you can select it, then it's not self-refrencing. I only started using deep water in my latest level, but what I've been doing is making a dummy sector for that self-refrencing sector as well... that way I can select it in sector mode by moving over the dummy sector portion. Obviously, trying to select the other part of that sector wouldn't work; it should highlight the surrounding sector instead. I dunno if this will help you, but it never hurts to be able to select a self-refrencing sector if you have to.

Make sure, you use the same nodebuilder you used for your working map! Those special effects rely on the way the nodebuilder handles unclosed sectors!

At your unwanted deep lava, make sure, your sidedefs aren't accidentally swapped! This could be easily overseen by just highliting sectors.

Mordeth said:

Remove all linedefs you used for self-referencing sectors. Check if the level is OK. Rebuild the self-referencing sectors.

I tried that. I got rid of the entire portion of the level, and the only bugs WA could find were that there was no exit or DM starts. I then rebuilt it and the same thing happened.

...yeah. If you can select it, then it's not self-refrencing. I only started using deep water in my latest level, but what I've been doing is making a dummy sector for that self-refrencing sector as well... that way I can select it in sector mode by moving over the dummy sector portion. Obviously, trying to select the other part of that sector wouldn't work; it should highlight the surrounding sector instead. I dunno if this will help you, but it never hurts to be able to select a self-refrencing sector if you have to.

That's exactly how I do it. And then when I'm done with the dummy sectors, you can delete their linedefs so the self-referencing sectors are still there but the map is just "cleaner" in a sense.

The thing I was talking about that's selectable is when I try to make a new sector in the area around the entrance to the deep-water area, WA thinks it's in the void for some reason (even though it isn't) and creates a sector with all one-sided walls for some odd reason.

Make sure, you use the same nodebuilder you used for your working map! Those special effects rely on the way the nodebuilder handles unclosed sectors!

Good thought, I tried that too though. I ran it through BSP just because I don't trust WA's internal nodebuilder and it didn't affect anything.

At your unwanted deep lava, make sure, your sidedefs aren't accidentally swapped! This could be easily overseen by just highliting sectors.

Checked and double-checked, although there's still the possibility that I'm missing something.

Thanks for offering these suggestions, though. Keep em coming, someone will probably shed some light on this sooner or later.

Andy O. comes through in the clutch.

Thanks to all who responded here.