Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Own A Piece Of <strike>Crap</strike> History

Joseph J. Anthony let us know that Tom Grindberg, the artist behind the infamous Doom comic book, has put the original black-and-white art up on eBay. That includes all 16 pages of ripping and tearing, at its original 11x17 size, in glorious unpainted black and white. Currently the bid stands at $213.50 but I expect it to go much higher. So if you're made of money, or you have a money tree in your backyard, then this might be the luxury item for you. Maybe you could break out some crayons and color them in yourself, like a really expensive coloring book. Wouldn't your friends be jealous! Echidna.

it also doesn't have any lettering, so you can even write your own comic and pretend you're Stan Lee or something!!

Cyb said:

it also doesn't have any lettering, so you can even write your own comic and pretend you're Stan Lee or something!!

Heh. I dunno if i can picture the doom comic without phrases such as "Dynamite" or "sweet christmas"

Actually what makes the comic so terrible is the crappy dialogue and gaudy colouring. Without either of them it isn't anywhere near as bad.

If you pay that much for that thing, you deserve a kick in your butt and the medal of being on of the stupidiest persons in the world.

i wonder if this auction comes with an explanation for why the comic book was so completely unintelligible.

Yes, the Doom Comic would be truly priceless if it came with author commentary. :) We should try to get an interview with that guy . . .

Yeah but as both Cyb and Nightmare have mentioned, you're getting it before the crap was applied. One could rewrite the dialog and maybe, MAYBE make something interesting.

Bleh. If I wanted those black and white pics so bad, I'd just save that picture of his and print it out. Sure, it may not be the REAL thing, but... oh wait, I guess that's what you pay 213.50 for. Anyone else see the stupidity here? Or better yet, does anyone NOT see it?

netnomad312 said:

Bleh. If I wanted those black and white pics so bad, I'd just save that picture of his and print it out. Sure, it may not be the REAL thing, but... oh wait, I guess that's what you pay 213.50 for. Anyone else see the stupidity here? Or better yet, does anyone NOT see it?

Original comic art is a pretty big collectors item for people who are into it. You can get top dollar for original drawings from any number of popular books, it's purely a collectors thing really.

Of course the Doom comic books is neither popular nor a collectors item, nor will it fetch top dollar...