Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mogul

Exploding head in psx

I remember several times playing the psx DOOM games and causing the doomguy's head to explode in the status bar upon violent death. The main proponent of such an animation, as I recall, was death by exploding barrel.

However, I don't think I've ever gotten it to happen in the pc version.

What's up with that?

mje said:

What's up with that?

What Graf said.
In contrast there's 3DO Doom, where the guy's head always explodes, no matter what kills him. %)

Doom on 3DO is very laggy and slow...
Only one good thing in 3DO Doom, the music... it's just sooo good.

I have e1m1 music mp3 from 3DO on hand... if anyone wants to hear it, it's a nice piece of music.

Naitguolf said:

Ey, i want to see that!! Can anyone upload a gif?

You mean a .jpg? So you can actually see the ANIMATION? btw Vince, I want to hear it!

All the 3DO Doom music can be found here at the Doom Depot.

If someone uploads a JPG of the head exploding, you won't see any animation. Only GIF supports animation.

Bloodshedder said:

If someone uploads a JPG of the head exploding, you won't see any animation. Only GIF supports animation.

Oh. Jeez my head's getting screwed up from so much doom. *Continues listening to doom music*

Oh yeah, I remember the 3do DOOM music! I had all the console ports (I think). I remember liking the music, but that was the only thing worthy of praise in that port.

It was strange though, that it was so terrible and choppy, as other first person games like PO'ed and Quarantine were running smoothly with comparable graphics to DOOM's... and they were full screen, and not that windowed garbage that port of DOOM had.

Naitguolf said:

Ey, i want to see that!! Can anyone upload a gif?

Here's an animated GIF. It's a little fuzzy since it's based on a video capture from the PS2. I'll try to create a better one at some point.
This occurred when the player character picked up the plasma rifle on map 4 in PSX Final Doom, and got stuck under the crusher.

Wait wait wait. If that was taken on the ps2, that means that the head DOES explode in the ps version of doom. Someone got dissed up in here. Either way, I never knew doomguys head exploded...ever...it looks cool!

well, it's cool feature, but it will not match the marine death sequence (where he grabs his throat...)

Would be very nice when player gets gibbed tho.

Jello said:

Wait wait wait. If that was taken on the ps2, that means that the head DOES explode in the ps version of doom.

Yep. It can happen, sometimes, in PS Doom and PS Final Doom, happens always in Doom for 3DO... Maybe happens in Sega Saturn Doom and one or two other console ports, I forget. Never happens in the original PC Doom games.

Hey now, that's pretty sweet. I'd like to see that in all of the ports.

Man, I want to check out the PSX Doom. I like seeing older Dooms for some reason. I mean, I'm pretty excited about Doom 3, but I like the older layout and enemies and stuff.