Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
etimmerAZ

Will DooM 3 run on linux?

Yeah yeah yeah, bla bla bla . . . but will it run on linux? I am sure the linux drivers for the video cards suck, but I was just curious.

Later Homies!

Erik

Carmack will probably make it work with nvidia hardware on linux and leave it at that.

i have no issues with any of my drivers.

yes, they will ship doom III on windows, Linux and MAC.

however what i would like to know is...
will the linux 'port' be a downlaod, part of the PC version or seperate box set.
i would prefer it be a download or ship with the windows version. i have both windows and linux on this computer so i would prefer to see which runs better

Hopefully it will be a patch that installs with the standard version, a seperate box set would be wierd, when you went into a games shop you wouldnt have a PC section anymore, you'd have seperate Windows and Linux sections heh

Or maybe the linux version will be an special "under the counter" deal for "speciality customers"

Well, from the best of my knowledge, John Carmack develops under OpenGL which is a multi-platform graphical API because he dislikes making games exclusive to Windows (DirectX, Direct3D, DirectSound, DirectPlay, etc...). I'm sure he likes Windows, but my best guess is a major portion of his programming takes place on the Linux platform - especially the OpenGL coding.

But I guess I could be wrong...?

Doom 3 is being developed on Windows boxes. Linux is most likely used only for the Linux version.

I'm pretty new to the whole Linux scene (installed Mandrake Linux 10.0 last night for the first time, heh) but I don't think OpenGL is up to spec with DirectX 9.

I guess it would be pretty foolish of Carmack to build Doom3 for Linux if OpenGL didn't support something like hardware accelerated bumpmapping. Or maybe its a matter of checking if my 9700Pro supports OpenGL? I don't know how this shit works....

if it can run on the xbox, it can run on a linux.

wait... was that ever in question?

Fredrik said:

Doom 3 is being developed on Windows boxes. Linux is most likely used only for the Linux version.

Is there any way of knowing what he's developing it on? Windows makes sense, but for all we know he could've developed ALL games natively on Linux, and THEN compiled the binaries over to Win32 and Mac. Point being, OpenGL is cross-platform. Nevermind if DX9 is above-par compared to OpenGL, but DX9 is Win32 only. IIRC, OpenGL was first developed on UNIX, and then Sun Microsystems migrated it as an open source project, free to all OS's.

Laguna said:

Is there any way of knowing what he's developing it on?

Yes, reading interviews.

quick n00b question.... does mac use the same set of graphics cards that windows does?

TH-555 said:

quick n00b question.... does mac use the same set of graphics cards that windows does?

yes they do, if you hop over to the apple store, nearly all of their machines come with ATI or nvidia cards.. not sure how their drivers are kept fresh, tho.

actually Mac is closer to UNIX than it is to Linux

Mac OS X = Darwin

Darwin is based upon FreeBSD

:)

Yes, Mac OSX uses the Mach 3.0 kernel and the 4.4BSD userland tools. This is what is commonly know as Darwin.

Mac OSX, Linux and FreeBSD are so similar that a lot of software written for one system will easily run on the others. Exceptions are programs using OSX's Aqua GUI, since the GUI is proprietary. But programs using X will run on all three systems (and most other UNIX systems and clones, too).

I'm really looking forward to playing Doom 3 on Linux :)