Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nothingisttrue

Doom Bible /Half Life

i just read the doom bible for the first time and i noticed alot of stuff in here that sounds just like half life like :
"the research team are doing experiments at the anomalies found on the moon there is a flash of horrible light and two gates open" then the stuff about trains and what not. maybe the half life dev team read this and did all the ideas romero etc couldnt do with doom.

Doom is hardly the first time a storyline has featured a teleportation experiment gone wrong and aliens/evil beings/whatever invading as a consequence.

Half life has melee attack 'zombies', Doom3 has melee attack zombies
Valve hired a professional writer, id hired a professional writer
Half life has 'intelligent' npc's, Doom3 has 'intelligent' npc's

OMG CARMACK IS A DIRTY THIEF!!!!!!!BURN HIM
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN

Janderson said:

Doom came first; therefore 'Half-life sounds just like Doom' unless time turns upside down again.

Man, if time did turn upside down again, it would really suck.

The overall plot is kind of generic. I doubt that you'd have immense difficulty finding some old science fiction stories with a great deal in common.

Anyway, the game that draws most heavily from the Doom Bible is Rise of the Triad, which is not too surprising given Tom Hall's involvement.

Not much of one, but it did have a story, and after you finish an episode, it shows a few scenes and some text which continues the story. It's about some cult that wants to take over or destroy the world. You have to go to a monestary on an island off the coast of California (I think) and blow something up, as well as kill all the El Oscuro larvae (and what a fiendish final level it was).

Grimm said:

Rise of the Triad had a plot?!

My post was two separate statements.

Szymanski said:

Valve hired a professional writer, id hired a professional writer

What did he spend his time on?

Shaviro said:

What did he spend his time on?

I think he wrote all the dialog for the npc's. Other than that I haven't seen any info.

Lets not forget Event horizon and, to an extent, Stargate, both of them feature teleportation devices buggering up with deadly consequences

Lets not forget Event horizon and, to an extent, Stargate, both of them feature teleportation devices buggering up with deadly consequences

Nor THE FLY, in which the teleportation device is literally buggered up :-P

m0l0t0v said:

Nor THE FLY, in which the teleportation device is literally buggered up :-P

For that joke, sir, you should be taken out and shot.

I'm sorry, but it was. Especially the alien homeworld. It just dragged and dragged. The only thing that kept me gunning to the end, was to see that spider thing. Plus the ending... Oh man, I was expecting more.

I got bored of Half-life pretty fast too.

Terra-jin said:
Half-life is just a big rip-off from DOOM!

NiGHTMARE said:
Doom is hardly the first time a storyline has featured a teleportation experiment gone wrong and aliens/evil beings/whatever invading as a consequence.

Grazza said:
The overall plot is kind of generic. I doubt that you'd have immense difficulty finding some old science fiction stories with a great deal in common.

deathbringer said:

As for DOOM's plot/theme, I don't think it's easily directly traceable to anything too similar... it's evidently a mishmash of various sources, which have been mentioned by the authors already.

DOOM relied on a number of independent and applicable sources to forge a game gerne of its own, if not start it, whereas Half-life would be nothing without DOOM before it and belongs within that gerne.

Szymanski said:
OMG CARMACK IS A DIRTY THIEF!!!!!!!BURN HIM
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN

Well, yeah. He's even stealing from himself, blatantly. The original long-haired Carmack (probably accompanied by a long-haired Romero) is going to come forth through a time machine and give him a beating.

But as for ripping off Half-life: "Quien roba a un ladrón, tiene cien años de perdón."

Nunez said:

Also Half-Life is boring, unlike Doom.

Just shut up tbh

Once again, boring. I was never at the edge of my seat in that game. More like at the edge of my seat with frustration for platform jumping.

I liked Xen. It was different, and so it was good. Although it would have been nicer if it hadnt given you a security drip feed of ammo and bombs, and forced you to make use of other things for combat.

chilvence said:

I liked Xen. It was different, and so it was good. Although it would have been nicer if it hadnt given you a security drip feed of ammo and bombs, and forced you to make use of other things for combat.

ew, xen! When I play Half-life over again, I mostly stop before I get to xen. Cause xen is so shitty.

I never defeated that floating baby boss. People tell me to destroy those three yellow cubes to expose the baby's brain, but after destroying those cubes nothing happens..?

Not that I want to strut across Xen or even the Lambda labs again. Fucking lame jumping stuff and/or uninspired level design.