Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nemephosis

Doom 64 easy map

Interesting thing I noticed. Level 27, Forbidden Deeper, is one of the new maps that was put into the TC, I'm pretty sure.

There's only one small problem: The coloured bars that need keys to open are spaced too wide! You can run right between them and hit the switch that triggers the half-invisible Cacodemons on speed. Killing them all makes the exit switch come up. So the entire rest of the map isn't necessary.

Oops? :)

Even the original Doom 1 has several situations where you can shortcut almost entire maps. So why not in Doom64 as well?
You don't have to do this. You still can try 100% of all, if you want.

I'm just such a lousy player when it comes to finding things like this. And there may be others who don't know, so why not spread the little tricks you know?

It's just somewhat of a shame that someone makes a map, taking all that time to do it, and then the bars are too wide and you don't even have to play the whole thing.

Nemephosis said:

Interesting thing I noticed. Level 27, Forbidden Deeper, is one of the new maps that was put into the TC, I'm pretty sure.

There's only one small problem: The coloured bars that need keys to open are spaced too wide! You can run right between them and hit the switch that triggers the half-invisible Cacodemons on speed. Killing them all makes the exit switch come up. So the entire rest of the map isn't necessary.

Oops? :)

its called No clipping.

Nemephosis said:

I'm just such a lousy player when it comes to finding things like this. And there may be others who don't know, so why not spread the little tricks you know?

For Doom 1 shortcuts watch "Doom done quicker"! http://www.planetquake.com/qdq/doom.html

The secret maps aren't covered there, though accessing the one in E3M6 is pretty easy, as all you have to do is just walk to that blue box and hit the switch (you should know where it is) from the outer side.

Yeah it's possible to exit fast without any skull keys, and without development mode being on. Ran through the bars, past the Hell Knights, and then eliminated them when I got to the final switch. Activated the switch next and then squeezed through the bars to the starting area to get away from the Nightmare Cacodemons and take them down with Plasma Gun, Chaingun, and Super Shotgun.

Of course, this is with the latest version of Doom 64 TC. In older versions, you couldn't do it.

Deathman said:

its called No clipping.

Have people even played doom64TC before or am I the only one? Clipping does not work. Man I already had one guy coming down on me in another thread who I owned with some pictures, I'll go for two.

Look. I'm sure you have a doom2.wad. Download absolution, put the wad in the absolution folder. Start it, type warp 27 in the console, and run through the bars you see. It works.

edit: I see someone else did it too. Yeah, thats what I did. :)

edit 2: Development mode? Please enlighten me :)

Development mode is Doom64TC's no-clipping :-/ type while in the game "ddisuck"
Noclipping is the ability to walk trough walls, enemies and such, like a ghost, but I think You know that.

Deathman said:

its called No clipping.

No, really Kais. I was shocked-You can run between those bars easily. They are just too wide :-/

I just did it. I'm a believer. Though those nightmare cacos are a pain.

Nmn said:

No, really Kais. I was shocked-You can run between those bars easily. They are just too wide :-/

That will be taken care of once I get the Outcast megawad off my back.

Nemephosis said:

Have people even played doom64TC before or am I the only one? Clipping does not work. Man I already had one guy coming down on me in another thread who I owned with some pictures, I'll go for two.

Look. I'm sure you have a doom2.wad. Download absolution, put the wad in the absolution folder. Start it, type warp 27 in the console, and run through the bars you see. It works.

Uh, you do realize you're replying to one of the people who made the Doom 64 TC, right?

Nemephosis said:

Have people even played doom64TC before or am I the only one?

No, no one played it. It was made and released but no one gave a damn. Everyone ignored it and didn't care about it. Congratulations on being the first one that played it! :-)))
Seriously, not only replying to one of the makers of the TC but to a guy who has more knowledge on the original D64 than all those "geniuses" who wrote many FAQ's about it. Ave Kaiser/Deathman :-)

Sorry, it just sort of strikes me when someone says "haw haw you cheated" without actually having tried it themselves. If he knew so much he should have known that worked then instead of jumpoing to conclusions that I clipped. I didn't even know the clip command. I tried all the standard doom ones, they didn't work, so I sure had no idea. :p

When I first saw his post, I assumed what Deathman meant was that running between bars when you know you shouldn't is akin to using the no clipping cheat. Or something.

Well there's a difference between running through bars you KNOW you shouldn't be able to (ie, they are painfully obviously too small to fit through, or are mesh fences etc.) and then there's finding something like this where you stop and think "hmm, those look a bit wide, wonder if I can finagle my way through there..."

and sure enough, I squeezed through 'em.

Nmn: "ddisuck" didn't work as a cheat. I'm not sure if I'm being played here, if I am, no big deal :p

How the hell can I get to Map 38? I can't warp there and I'll be damned looking for it on my own (hell I still haven't uncovered 10% of Doom's secrets.)

edit: Also, on Map 30, the Absolution, there's three switches with Unmaker pentagrams on them. I can't activate them. I'm assuming you need the pentagrams to do this as it tells me "you lack the ability to activate it". What do these do?

Nemephosis said:

How the hell can I get to Map 38? I can't warp there and I'll be damned looking for it on my own (hell I still haven't uncovered 10% of Doom's secrets.)

edit: Also, on Map 30, the Absolution, there's three switches with Unmaker pentagrams on them. I can't activate them. I'm assuming you need the pentagrams to do this as it tells me "you lack the ability to activate it". What do these do?

Destroy all barrels in map01. this will temp. open a door at the beserk room for a couple of seconds. Finish map32 to get to map38.

The doors in map30 leads to a switch that closes some of the teleport landings. Simply cuts back the amount of monsters you have to fight.

NiGHTMARE said:

When I first saw his post, I assumed what Deathman meant was that running between bars when you know you shouldn't is akin to using the no clipping cheat. Or something.

as strange as this may sound, many people have been using the noclip cheat, and then complain to me or Elbryan that the game is too short. Thats why I wanted to completly remove that cheat. I've had figured the same thing when I saw this thread. But apparentally, I tested this myself, and the player indeed can go past the bars.

I used to have the player's radius a but larger than in original doom, but before the TC is completed, I lowered the radius back down, not realizing about the bug in map27. I'll have this fixed once I release my Outcast megawad.

Nemephosis said:

You don't have to go trough that barrels and fun on the Staging Area. Just warp to map 32, kill the Cyb and exit the map to end up in Hectic. You can't use cheats there tough. You can load Yourself ammo via cheats before entering Hectic, hehe

Nemephosis said:

Nmn: "ddisuck" didn't work as a cheat. I'm not sure if I'm being played here, if I am, no big deal

Impossible. I'm using Doom64 version 2.3.1 from 13 Dec. 2003-Works for me fine, enables development mode-walking trough walls :-P Hmmm.. Write it like any ordinary cheat-like iddqd. Just type in the game (slowly?) ddisuck

Nemephosis said:

Yes You need the pentagram keys, aka Unmaker Powerups. I'm not going to spoil Your fun-find them Yourself.

Yeah something told me that the barrel stuff was a load. I knew there was nothing back there, the computer map would have shown it.

I only found one of the pentagrams, in map 29, and I think I found the switch to get it to come down, but the switch is all the way up the wall and I couldn't find how to get it. doh!

and I figured out how to get development mode working, you don't type it in the console, you type it in the game as you would in Doom.

I warped to Map 32 and got the hell scared out of me and died instantly. Might have told me the Cyberdemon was right there! ;)

And whats this teleporting crap, I'm running like a little girl from it and suddenly it teleports in front of me, and rockets me to death and I end up a painting on the wall. This is fair.

Okay, I can't use cheats on Hectic then, but you said I can load up on ammo before hand. Can I put God mode on or will it not allow that?

edit: oh, I see. This is impossible. :p

Ok. Doom64 TC computer map doesn't show some secrets, even if You type iddt, or idbeholda. It won't show You the secret exit to Cat n' Mouse in the Staging Area, but trust me. Destroy all the barrels in the level except the one by the level start. Then destroy it and the secret will open in the room with the berserk pack, but You gotta run-it shuts after a couple seconds.
It's hard to get that key in The Lair. You killed the arachnotrons? Notice that as You walk into one of the chambers looking at the room with the key You will notic a swtich opening on an opposite wall. Shoot it. Another switch will open up in the other chamber. Shoot it and the pillar lowers-remember You gotta think fast here too.
Well, Cat n' Mouse is such a specific level. You must kill the Cyb to reveal the exit. And yes-he's teleporting all over the place. This level is sorta preparation for Hectic-which is only for the best.. Yeah it's unfair, but it was meant to be that way.
Nope, once You're on Hectic the God mode turns off and You can't turn it on.
Yeah, this post takes a lot of place but the walktrough for the TC is down for some reason and I guess it's my duty to help You
Take Care

I'm glad someone's taking the time to do it, believe me, it's very much appreciated.

I did find one cheap hiding spot: where the rocket launcher is. It's a small place he can't get into (but he can still fire into it).

What levels are the Unmaker keys on? I'll see about finding them myself, if I can, I just need to know where to look.

And Hectic, well, the map says there's only 7 monsters and I did find 4 hell knights and 3 Arachnotrons... but sweet Jesus, the arachnotrons are impossible. There's not only three (I imagine more at higher difficulties) but the ceiling squashes you too. No way can I get through this. Maybe sooner or later. :)

I mean, I'm trying to avoid plasma while having to stand still in a little hole in the ceiling.... it's not happening, and I usually die. :p

edit: Is there a file I can edit to flag Map 38 as being beaten? I mean I WILL get through Hectic come hell or high water, but it'd be a pain in the ass doing it every time I reformat/reinstall.

Nemephosis said:

Yeah something told me that the barrel stuff was a load. I knew there was nothing back there, the computer map would have shown it.

And whats this teleporting crap, I'm running like a little girl from it and suddenly it teleports in front of me, and rockets me to death and I end up a painting on the wall. This is fair.

Okay, I can't use cheats on Hectic then, but you said I can load up on ammo before hand. Can I put God mode on or will it not allow that?

edit: oh, I see. This is impossible. :p

I fixed the code so that any linedef that is invisible will not show at all with the iddt cheat. This doesn't always mean that if you don't see nothing in the automap doesn't mean its not there.

Don't like map32? How about a single room with an imp for a level?

You can't cheat in hectic. You can't cheat in the oringinal and you can't cheat in the TC version.

The Unmaker keys are on levels: Crisis (34)-hidden accessible trough Outpost Omega, In The Void (31)-hidden, accessible trough Altar of Pain and 29-The Lair. Keep in mind that You can pick up an Unmaker Key only possessing the Unmaker-there are 2 in the game actually-Altar of Pain+there is a hidden one in the Crisis. Find it and then collect the key from that level. Trust me, it is very hard to find them. You need brains and good reflex, because mostly those are time-puzzles and hidden switches.
Hectic is hard, but genius in my opinion. Don't try to hack it in order to use cheats-it's lame. Try to beat it. There are 3 arachnotrons. Kill them quickly before the ceiling starts moving (BFG?) and stand in the hole. Use Mouselook to spot the hole and position Yourself. Sooner of later, practice makes perfect.
Kaiser done a good thing bout the linedefs. It was too easy to spot the secrets.
An Imp in a box? Sounds nice, like a song tittle, hehe.

I'll try to beat it but if I don't do it in a month, I'll be asking how to cheat through it. Believe me I'll give it a good shot.

I have a game plan for the Arachnotrons, and I'm working on one for the Hell Knights. Are there any fun surprises when I grab the yellow key or do I just have to make my way through that floor-shifting and the arrows?

I noticed that on the map the kills said "0/7" but then in one map I had 50/1 kills, giving me a 5000% kill. I took a pic. Naturally I don't believe there's only 7 monsters in the map after that. Are there any fun little surprises, such as "opening the three coloured gates and pressing the switch doesn't lead to the exit but dumps you in a room with three Cyberdemons"? fun crap like that? :p

edit: If there's only two Unmakers, and one is on level 29, doesn't that mean you pretty much HAVE to get the secret one in Level 34? Cause otherwise you can't grab any of the pentagrams, so you need to find the secret in Outpost Omega.

Deathman said:

Don't like map32? How about a single room with an imp for a level?

I'm not sure if you can change properties of monsters for one map, but an imp with 5000 health whose fireballs kill in one shot would be something worth trying to beat ;)

I really don't want to spoil the surprises. Maybe You should save often.
There are only 7 monsters on Hectic. That level where You had 50/1 kills is very possibly "Watch Your Step"-that is because the enemies that spawn on the map and they do on WYS don't count as normal ones but count over the numbers, hence You can get 5000% killed.
Now Hectic. As You grab the yellow key You have to exit the room and the floor parts move and the arrows shoot. Nothing else :-P
As You open up the bars press the "Exit" switch and You'll be back at the Staging Area, but You will have the ability to jump.
There are 2 Unmakers- one on Crisis-34 and second one on Altar of Pain-15. Yes, if You want to collect all pentagram keys You must visit all hidden levels and on Crisis collect-both the Unmaker and the powerup key. Collecting all keys is not essential for the game as some say. It just helps You beat the final level quicker and easier.
You cannot change monster's properties for one map. You can add newmonsters, I think, by Doomsday's DEDs.

Okay well I think I have a plan here.

For the Arachnotrons, the plan is to charge a BFG shot and then grab the key so that just as I get into the room, the gun fires killing at least one of them. I'll run to the door I see on the other side with the rocket launcher, killing the second, then stand in the door so the ceiling doesn't get me. I'll get the chaingun out and mow down the third.

As an aside, that chaingun has the most insane lockdown ever. It hits fast and disrupts enemies easily. They could be in the middle of a fire animation and then stop because they're getting hit. Cyberdemons can still get one rocket off but they still usually start walking around after that. Rare is the occasion it fires three rockets while being chaingunned to death.

Having only used one (hopefully) BFG shot, I should have 5 left. When I get the blue key, I'll charge a BFG shot before I get it, the hell knights show up and one should go down. Now I have to run across the pedestals to the other side of the room and get on that tiny little ledge where the door is, and fire again, then just run back and forth doing this until they die.

I still haven't worked out the pattern for that damn floor in the yellow key room and I'm not sure what triggers those arrows, but that'll be a pain in the ass, I can see it now.

The supercharge and the armour in the main room that is under those crushers... are they red herrings? I can't grab them and get out of the way of the crushers fast enough. Is it even possible or are they just there to throw you off?

First, seriously there's no need for such a fuss with the complicated tactics-Keep it Simple. Bash to the room with the arachnotrons and kill them just using the BFG :-P, it should take 2-3 shots and they shouldn't harm You so much. I'm not sure if there is a pattern in the yellow key room. I just walk and grab the key as fast as I can with recievin as little damage from the arrows as possible. I guess this one depends on luck. The hellknights is the trickiest (good Lord, Danny Lewis was a crazy one!-the guy who originally designed this particular area) as You grab the key the crusher starts moving so get back. It's barely possible to shoot the big badasses while dancing on the poles-that's Dance Macabre. Stay as close to the door that just closed and while standing shoot the damn knights using BFG, or finish the job with Rocket Launcher or anything else. There You go, the door opens.
Don't touch any of the items in the starting room. It's a deadly trap. There is no possibility to collect them without feeling too flat.. :-P

Nemephosis said:

This is because of a special line type used in the game which says the line in question can never be viewed by the automap or the IDDT/IDBEHOLDA cheats. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

Darkhaven4 said:

This is because of a special line type used in the game which says the line in question can never be viewed by the automap or the IDDT/IDBEHOLDA cheats. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

Erm... Doesn't IDDT show everything except things with "Totally Invisible" flag on?